forum

osu! World Cup 2014 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Reborn

GladiOol wrote:

By the way, for the next round, perhaps it'd be a cool idea to have a little after stream for an hour or so. Just invite players who just had their match and discuss the maps, the thrill of playing owc, etc. etc. It's insanely fun to hear a bunch of pro players discuss their tactics, views on osu!, and all that stuff. See it like having a little post-match interview.
this
plaatinum

Xytox wrote:

99% of the timeouts in the Twitch chat are done by a bot, and the sub-only was a mistake that will hopefully not happen again.
Thank god. The chat mods are making the stream very unenjoyable and I hope this is true.

Gladi's post states my point perfectly.
Xayne
I think it's just the case of the powers that be not being very familiar with the community of twitch chat. It's a very unique experience and timing out for emotes and cutting off chat completely because of spam is going to get you the exact opposite of what you want. Just a heads up for next week, if there is spam you don't want happening, just turn on R9k mode. You don't have to go on a timeout spree or shut down chat.
peppy
I am very familiar with twitch chat. That doesn't change my opinion on moderation. If you don't like it then please do not watch. osulive is our channel run by our staff. This is our turf, not yours. Go to another twitch channel if you want your free reign.

As long as I am watching on and helping run an event, I will make sure anything that we have control over is under control to something I am comfortable with. If you would like to have your anarchy in chat, please re-host the stream and run your own chat.

Subscriber mode was not a mistake. It will be used again if people botspam the chat.
Cola

peppy wrote:

(...)If you would like to have your anarchy in chat, please re-host the stream and run your own chat.(...)
Waiting for this to happen on a bigger scale now and whether or not this is really what you want to happen.
Xayne

peppy wrote:

If you don't like it then please do not watch..
Fantastic way to promote a product. 10/10.
ToGlette

GladiOol wrote:

By the way, for the next round, perhaps it'd be a cool idea to have a little after stream for an hour or so. Just invite players who just had their match and discuss the maps, the thrill of playing owc, etc. etc. It's insanely fun to hear a bunch of pro players discuss their tactics, views on osu!, and all that stuff. See it like having a little post-match interview.
Actually we tried to have this at the end of group stage. Well the plan was me, Raiku, jesse, and ztrot in stream showcasing the mappool and talk about knock out stage but we had issues with stream so we didnt go on. I do agree with your idea Gladi it is cool idea. I would definitely want one after the quarters. 8-)
Mismagius

peppy wrote:

If you don't like it then please do not watch.
This kind of attitude is what is ruining the experience for many people. Please try to understand that.
Heterozygous_old
peppy
The alternative is streaming on my own service and bypassing twitch, to avoid what comes with hosting on twitch (horribly immature behaviour, endless new accounts which cannot be banned and therefore continue to cause havoc in chat, huge automated bot spam etc.).

I have been looking into this recently and maybe consider it for future official tournaments, if it is feasible from a logistics perspective.

Also, I agree that we should have after-match streams with further discussion. This would add a lot to the experience.
Zallius

Cola wrote:

Waiting for this to happen on a bigger scale now and whether or not this is really what you want to happen.
How much clearer did you need him to make it?
Morurc

peppy wrote:

The alternative is streaming on my own service and bypassing twitch, to avoid what comes with hosting on twitch (horribly immature behaviour, endless new accounts which cannot be banned and therefore continue to cause havoc in chat, huge automated bot spam etc.).

I have been looking into this recently and maybe consider it for future official tournaments, if it is feasible from a logistics perspective.
Streaming on your own might work for the 'endless new accounts' part of the story, but the horribly immature behaviour is something you will not be able to control either way. Also, I have never actually seen automated bot spam (just view bots), in my 2 (?) years I've been a Twitch viewer. Not even the big League of Legends tournaments get spammed by bots, these are all normal people having their Twitch chat experience.

I think streaming the tournament on your own service is a very bad idea if you look at the marketing part for Osu as well. Osu is growing as a whole, but if you're going to host it on your own private server, no one will know Osu! tournaments even exist, aside from the people frequenting the forum or checking out Twitter. I think the people casually checking out Twitch and seeing a sudden rise in viewers for a game they have never heard of, will at least make them click on the tournament stream to see what's up.
pola[r]is
Post-match discussion with the players would be a nice touch, and for the Twitch chat I can't really say anything. It's pretty much just spam when someone breaks combo/disconnects/somethingbadhappens. Such is the nature of Twitch chat though.

I will however agree with what Morurc said, it's probably best if osu! was kept on Twitch when it comes to major tournaments such as OWC. Although there will be a major influx of trolls/spammers, more people are watching and this will bring new players in.
Plus brand new players might be encouraged by the high level of play to become better or whatever.

Damn you Twitch chat y u do dis.
buny
nvm

i think other people made the point clear
Omgforz
I can see the post-interview idea being a really good idea, but I can see it being even more stress on just about everybody (especially tournament staff). I can also see some people not wanting to do it because they're not comfortable talking in front of a lot of people, or are not confident in their english skills and are afraid to make mistakes.

But other than that, I would support it.
Makan1
Peppy...there was no bot spam

this was only 3k people rioting about the same thing. and this 'riot' is minuscule compared to league chats.
goes to show how much you actually know about twitch. I think you need another member on your team of elites to handle twitch. and someone experienced.

the riot literally would've died down in like 10 mins TOP
chill.
Kert
Post-interviews will be cool. There is always some fun stuff happening on almost every match
The problem is only when to do this. You can't really make it right after the match because chances are it will overlap with another running match
Doing this a few days later is obviously not a good idea too
But yeah it will be interesting to hear
peppy

Makan1 wrote:

chill.
I wasn't handling it (was in transit at the time), but I agree with the decisions made. There's no harm in turning off chat to let people calm down. And it worked.

And yes, I do understand that twitch gives the game popularity, but that's not one of my primary goals. I have never wanted to see the game grow faster than it naturally is. Yes, from a "marketing" and "profits" perspective this is just stupid, but osu! is not a commercial project to me, even though it may be so by nature.
Luna

peppy wrote:

I wasn't handling it (was in transit at the time), but I agree with the decisions made. There's no harm in turning off chat to let people calm down. And it worked.
Considering people are still arguing about it right now at this very moment, I wouldn't say it "worked".
Morurc
The main reason 'it worked' was because 99% of the people who were 'rioting' got timed out for 10 minutes, lol.

If gaining popularity isn't your primary goal for the OWC, what is your goal exactly? I mean.. I can only applaud you for not thinking purely business, but what is it that you strife for then?
- Entertainment value? A part of this is the Twitch chat experience. However immature you may find it, it's still valuable to a lot of people (if that wasn't apparent enough by the discussion going on at the moment).
- Esports viability? With how unstable the client is (e.g. disconnects from Bancho), this is incredibly hard to achieve at the moment. Unless you're gonna make a local tournament, so that people can play offline (and this is pretty much impossible to achieve).
- Bringing the community together? It sure is working, just not the way you probably intended it to.

Now listen, take what you want from whatever I'm saying, I mean.. I've been playing this game for only 4-5 months, so what do I know? But I do think there could and should be a change in the way this tournament (and even the game as a whole, not really relevant to this particular discussion though) is being handled.
plaatinum

peppy wrote:

Makan1 wrote:

chill.

And yes, I do understand that twitch gives the game popularity, but that's not one of my primary goals. I have never wanted to see the game grow faster than it naturally is. Yes, from a "marketing" and "profits" perspective this is just stupid, but osu! is not a commercial project to me, even though it may be so by nature.
What is the primary goal for OWC then? Most of not all e-sport tournaments are either made for entertainment or to promote the game. Unless you're enjoying the drama that is coming out on the forums and reddit, I don't really understand what you're trying to do with OWC.
Xytox

peppy wrote:

Subscriber mode was not a mistake. It will be used again if people botspam the chat.
I was mostly just referring to the sub mode when people were spamming "dududu" when Darude - Sandstorm was playing. It was removed almost instantly after it was put on. That's why I called it a mistake, because I assumed all the moderators agreed it was okay for the viewers to spam that just once.

All the other occasions when sub mode was put on I have no saying in.
Uru Feneshisu
things are out of your control
Bauxe

Plaatinum wrote:

What is the primary goal for OWC then? Most of not all e-sport tournaments are either made for entertainment or to promote the game. Unless you're enjoying the drama that is coming out on the forums and reddit, I don't really understand what you're trying to do with OWC.
Probably bring some friendly competition to the top players, and some enjoyment to the spectators. Which in most cases, it does achieve.
peppy
The tournament is for players' enjoyment, specifically those playing and those interested in watching. Trust me that the majority of viewers are enjoying it, and the majority of players are enjoying their time in the tournament. If not then they are free to not participate.

Bancho "instability" is actually not bancho's end, but the user's. Unfortunately most osu! players are not diligent about their personal security and tehrefore succumb to being attacked by others with relatively weak DoS attacks.

I'm not going to continue posting in here, as I'd rather this discussion was about the amazing plays we've seen so far.
plaatinum

peppy wrote:

The tournament is for players' enjoyment, specifically those playing and those interested in watching. Trust me that the majority of viewers are enjoying it, and the majority of players are enjoying their time in the tournament. If not then they are free to not participate.

Bancho "instability" is actually not bancho's end, but the user's. Unfortunately most osu! players are not diligent about their personal security and tehrefore succumb to being attacked by others with relatively weak DoS attacks.

I'm not going to continue posting in here, as I'd rather this discussion was about the amazing plays we've seen so far.
Is it possible to make the viewer experience a bit better by delaying the stream for about a minute so we don't get any lag or ghost misses? On the stream, half the combo breaks are usually not actually combo breaks, and it makes the whole viewing experience very anti-climatic.
peppy
The stream is already buffered. The "fake misses" are being actively worked on, and should be fixed by next weekend. It's more complex than you may think. That said, "fake misses" are already at the point where they recover within 1 second. The audio desync was due to some experimental code that was tested this weekend which performed poorly. I didn't have much control over that and was not present when it was deployed, else I would not have allowed it.

But that Japan vs Sweden match, right? Am I the only one that found it entertaining?
plaatinum

peppy wrote:

The stream is already buffered. The "fake misses" are being actively worked on, and should be fixed by next weekend. It's more complex than you may think. That said, "fake misses" are already at the point where they recover within 1 second. The audio desync was due to some experimental code that was tested this weekend which performed poorly. I didn't have much control over that and was not present when it was deployed, else I would not have allowed it.

But that Japan vs Sweden match, right?
I only just remembered this, so I thought I might add on as well.

Another way to improve viewer experience would be to increase the background dim. We're here to watch the players play, and bright backgrounds always blend with the circles and its especially hard to see notes when watching the stream on a lower quality.
Makan1

peppy wrote:

But that Japan vs Sweden match, right? Am I the only one that found it entertaining?
nope : ) I was grabbing my hair when Sweden won because the only asian team that I cared about lost. really surprising how in the span of 1 year, players can grow in immense potential and take down some of the strongest players. I hope to see more of it when Austria shreks the next team they face. I wonder if an Austria V Germany match is possible because thats what I wanna see. but the way its going, I really looks like thats gonna happen *_*
silmarilen

Makan1 wrote:

I wonder if an Austria V Germany match is possible
only in the loser bracket because nl is going to wreck germany
Omgforz

silmarilen wrote:

Makan1 wrote:

I wonder if an Austria V Germany match is possible
only in the loser bracket because nl is going to wreck germany
woooooooo

shots fired

or in the finals, how would you like that?
GladiOol

peppy wrote:

I am very familiar with twitch chat. That doesn't change my opinion on moderation. If you don't like it then please do not watch. osulive is our channel run by our staff. This is our turf, not yours. Go to another twitch channel if you want your free reign.
No, this is our turf as well. We play this game. We view this game. We experience this game just like you guys do. The entertainment value will be far greater when chat is moderated by the correct people. You don't like the twitch chat - fine. Then leave it yourself perhaps. I'm sorry, but this logic seems childish to me. I can understand one not liking twitch chat, but the civil discussion is being held in #owc. The hype chat is twitch chat. Both needs are being represented, one through the in-game client and one through twitch. We do not need a heavily moderated hype channel only because you do not like the hype.
Jetzu

Plaatinum wrote:

peppy wrote:

But that Japan vs Sweden match, right?
I only just remembered this, so I thought I might add on as well.

Another way to improve viewer experience would be to increase the background dim. We're here to watch the players play, and bright backgrounds always blend with the circles and its especially hard to see notes when watching the stream on a lower quality.
Talking about skinning change, I know there is a reason to use the default skin and it's all cool but couldn't we make the 300s transparent? It's really hard to keep up when player is dropping his accuracy, especially on stream heavy maps or with names like WubWoofWolf or AmaiHachimitsu that are too long to see accuracy % on the screen.
here2pown
WWW carry

poland ftw
AmaiHachimitsu

here2pown wrote:

WWW carry

poland ftw
Say it once more, I double dare you
-Ephemeral-

Jetzu wrote:

Plaatinum wrote:

increase the background dim. We're here to watch the players play, and bright backgrounds always blend with the circles and its especially hard to see notes when watching the stream on a lower quality.
300s transparent? It's really hard to keep up when player is dropping his accuracy
I support this. Invisible 300s are pretty much part of every personal skin as it gets seriously obstructive during game play. The OWC has higher level maps which means an even great amount of notes so for simplicity sake omitting the constant 300s would help the viewers get a better view of the play.
Outsanity

GladiOol wrote:

peppy wrote:

No, this is our turf as well. We play this game. We view this game. We experience this game just like you guys do. The entertainment value will be far greater when chat is moderated by the correct people. You don't like the twitch chat - fine. Then leave it yourself perhaps. I'm sorry, but this logic seems childish to me. I can understand one not liking twitch chat, but the civil discussion is being held in #owc. The hype chat is twitch chat. Both needs are being represented, one through the in-game client and one through twitch. We do not need a heavily moderated hype channel only because you do not like the hype.
From what I saw in the video clip, that looked more like a digital riot. Plus, people were spamming the Twitch chat so they needed to stop the disruption somehow because I'm sure of any of the mod were to tell them to stop, they would keep spamming. I said this in the osu subreddit but, the osulive stream, to me, is mainly for watching seeing as the chat "normally" is zipping by so quickly. Anyways, I'm off to sleep. Godspeed everyone and that's my purse, I don't know you.
Makan1

-Ephemeral- wrote:

Jetzu wrote:

increase the background dim. We're here to watch the players play, and bright backgrounds always blend with the circles and its especially hard to see notes when watching the stream on a lower quality.
300s transparent? It's really hard to keep up when player is dropping his accuracy
I support this. Invisible 300s are pretty much part of every personal skin as it gets seriously obstructive during game play. The OWC has higher level maps which means an even great amount of notes so for simplicity sake omitting the constant 300s would help the viewers get a better view of the play.
I dont think there is a need for invisible '300's. there are plenty of players who still use a visible '300' but what they do need to change is the 300, 100, and 50 because they all look the fking same and its impossible to tell if a player hit a 300 or a 100. On the VERY old skin, you can see the 300, 100, 50, but not the hitcircle. now you can see the hitcircle but cant distinguish between the 300,100,50..... will there ever be a balance?

??? something weird happened with the quoting looollolo so manual
Varetyr

GladiOol wrote:

peppy wrote:

Amen.
Especially about the bold parts.

To me, this is exactly as if you went to a professional soccer match, and expected the spectators to... just... "behave themselves" and silently watch the match while holding a serious discussion about the performance of the players in the stadium. This will NEVER happen, thankfully, because of that hype.
Soccer supporters want to show how much they love their team, and overall, just want to have fun. Which is achieved by screaming, shouting, singing, praising a player when he scores, taunting an opponent who's messing up, doing the wave, being mad at the referee's decisions if they find it unfair, etc.
What do we have in twitch chat ? People supporting their teams, cheering them, praising their favorite players ( ヽ(。・ω・。)ノ raise your rrtyui's ヽ(。・ω・。)ノ ), making fun of that only guy who didn't FC while his whole team FC'd, being mad at the referee's decisions (like someone gets DC'd and the point is still given to the other team for example), etc.

And guess what, people enjoy it. Yes, this is what the twitch chat is all about, the "hype". Just as Gladi said, the civil discussion is held on #owc + forums, just let us shout it out on twitch. I perfectly understand that some people might hate it, but in the end it doesn't hurt anyone. Prohibiting it would irritate quite a lot of people, though.
(oh and please stop banning the Kappa emote on twitch. Like, seriously, twitch without Kappa is like a Street Fighter game without Ryu. You wouldn't remove Ryu, would you ? e_e)
peppy
If street fighter looked like this, sorry but I would remove Ryu.

show more