forum

osu! World Cup 2014 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
manjumochi
It just me or Germany gets the easier path to finals...
South Korea again gets bad luck and will play finals to the end if they advance.
Garpo

manjumochi wrote:

Netherlands, Austria, UK and Taiwan can all put up a good fight against Germany.
Athrun

KRZY wrote:

Mixed feelings for this group stage.

Really proud of how the first-timers in the team performed, especially MathClass. K i R i K a R u has officially been promoted to the driver's seat of the bus that is the Korean team, and it's both impressive and happy to see a player who's been around forever finally making a name for himself as one of the best players in the world at the biggest stage of the game.

A bit disappointed with my own performance, for me it is fair to say I single-handedly threw away the Germany game with the miss on Bonfire and then the Terekakushi pick. Should have thought better. Overall I missed too many times on no-mod maps than I would have liked, but improvements will be made.

Had forgotten how fun this tournament is. Loving it at the moment.
You guys still did pretty well. And in that match you wrote, "Onodera is love"
tryaway
China vs South Korea damn.
Have to get up early to watch that one.
Luckily the loser of that match isn't eliminated instantly.
Glazbom

No SnowWhite, no rucker, no Taiwan
Gumpy

Xytox wrote:

Well then... I hoped for a little bit more luck than that.
Good luck
Xayne
I couldn't find a table anywhere, so I compiled all of the results and formed one.

Group A:

1. Germany 3-0
2. South Korea 2-1

3. Italy 1-2
4. Portugal 0-3

Group B:

1. Austria 3-0
2. Argentina 2-1

3. Philippines 1-2
4. New Zealand 0-3

Group C:

1. France 3-0
2. Australia 2-1

3. Indonesia 1-2
4. Chile 0-3

Group D:

1. Japan 3-0
2. Ukraine 2-1

3. Brazil 1-2
4. Mexico 0-3

Group E:

1. Taiwan 3-0
2. Sweden 2-1

3. Norway 1-2
4. Lithuania 0-3

Group F:

1. Netherlands 3-0
2. Poland 2-1

3. Canada 1-2
4. Hong Kong 0-3

Group G:

1. USA 3-0
2. United Kingdom 2-1

3. Finland 1-2
4. Singapore 0-3

Group H:

1. China 3-0
2. Russia 2-1

3. Denmark 1-2
4. Malaysia 0-3

Bold = Advanced
Tshemmp
Xayne
And now I haz a sad. lol.

Thanks for the link, though.
Athrun
Thought Singapore will do better T_T
Same as Hong Kong. Sadly Hong Kong was placed with the top seeded groups
Ethelon

Xayne wrote:

xasuma wrote:

Being on the other end of the straw(spectator on twitch) I would like to inquire for someone to attempt and fix fake misses. I know it is "client lag", but there is got to be something someone can do about it.
This one thing is for me at least the most annoying one when watching owc. Hopefully for the next weekends coming, but if it's not possible that quickly, at least for next year. ty
I think this would be easily remedied by adding a bit of a delay on spectating matches. Add a 5-10 second delay to give time for the playback to buffer properly. It really is a shame to see a game that I think would have a lot of success as a spectator e-sport suffer from bad presentation.
I was suggesting this as well.
Zallius said that spectators wouldn't like the delay. My personal opinion is that something like 5-10 seconds isn't a big deal and you don't even need to delay the mp data with a delay that small. The trade-off would be worth it (assuming that a similarly small amount of time would actually fix the issue).
saiyuri
There's an error with the tournament bracket picture.
Even though it says Ukraine is playing against Taiwan, the visual seems to give Ukraine a bye.

Edit: more errors. USA beat UK 4-2, not 4-3. The Canadian and German flags are not showing in two instances.

Maybe, in order to fix these errors in the future, try double checking your work. :) :) :)
Melt3dCheeze

Harrharrqi wrote:

Edit: more errors. USA beat UK 4-2, not 4-3. The Canadian and German flags are not showing in two instances.

Maybe, in order to fix these errors in the future, try double checking your work. :) :) :)
Loctav ain't got time for that shit m8
KRZY

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

You guys still did pretty well. And in that match you wrote, "Onodera is love"
As long as people understand this I can die happy
Rea Himuro
I want to know if the knockout stage is going to be double elimination as it has been promised or it will only be a normal knockout?

Because based on the graph that has been posted on wiki, it seems to be just a normal knockout stage which is the same as the previous OWCs.
Tom94

manjumochi wrote:

South Korea again gets bad luck and will play finals to the end if they advance.
Not necessarily luck. The top team of a group gets to face the 2nd best team of another group which is common practice.
That being said time will tell whether this actually is the easier path. I sure don't know. :p
Aki Like Snow

Rea Himuro wrote:

I want to know if the knockout stage is going to be double elimination as it has been promised or it will only be a normal knockout?

Because based on the graph that has been posted on wiki, it seems to be just a normal knockout stage which is the same as the previous OWCs.
Based on the tournament schedule there should be a double elimmination otherwise two Final Weeks makes no sense.
Vuelo Eluko

Tom94 wrote:

manjumochi wrote:

Not necessarily luck. The top team of a group gets to face the 2nd best team of another group which is common practice.
That being said time will tell whether this actually is the easier path. I sure don't know. :p
an osu dev playing in owc is so weird, it's like if Chris Metzen played at a blizzcon 3's tournament on WoW, or IronStylus being in an LCS team on LoL.

Team Peppy when?
kuur0

Ethelon wrote:

Xayne wrote:

I think this would be easily remedied by adding a bit of a delay on spectating matches. Add a 5-10 second delay to give time for the playback to buffer properly. It really is a shame to see a game that I think would have a lot of success as a spectator e-sport suffer from bad presentation.
I was suggesting this as well.
Zallius said that spectators wouldn't like the delay. My personal opinion is that something like 5-10 seconds isn't a big deal and you don't even need to delay the mp data with a delay that small. The trade-off would be worth it (assuming that a similarly small amount of time would actually fix the issue).
I really don't mind the delay tbh if it doesn't make me hyped up for the wrong reason or something like that (e.g. someone dropped combo, chance of going into tie breaker then finds out to be client lag orz)
Athrun
https://osu.ppy.sh/mp/10353347

MLG Can Can.
What the heck.

420 Blazeit XxX_SampleText_XxX 360 qwickscope
LoGo
Either it's me or i don't see against who is Ukraine playing? ( of course you can see it in the schedule, but...)

lets ban that person who is responsible for that for 1 year
Andrea
I suppose they forgot to add it.
Marcin
Should be fixed soon (uploaded updated version, but it takes wiki to propagate changes.)
plaatinum
I'm just gonna put this out here in hope that anyone developing the tournament clients can see this. The one single thing that ruins the stream is the lag. There is always glitched misses or lag in every match. Is it possible if the client is delayed a couple minutes so everything can catch up and display the proper information instead?
Athrun

Plaatinum wrote:

I'm just gonna put this out here in hope that anyone developing the tournament clients can see this. The one single thing that ruins the stream is the lag. There is always glitched misses or lag in every match. Is it possible if the client is delayed a couple minutes so everything can catch up and display the proper information instead?
I've always questioned that in the world cup. There is so much lag.
Evrien

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

Plaatinum wrote:

I've always questioned that in the world cup. There is so much lag.
I second that. While spectating it just gives people sudden heart-attacks when you see players miss here and there. Even commentators seem to have a hard time deciding on who missed and which team is leading. This ruins the spectating experience more than you'd think.
silmarilen
you're acting as if that hasnt been discussed on the previous page
Cyclohexane

Riince wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

an osu dev playing in owc is so weird, it's like if Chris Metzen played at a blizzcon 3's tournament on WoW, or IronStylus being in an LCS team on LoL.

Team Peppy when?
It really isn't. If you look at LoL, almost all of the commentators are retired pro-players. It makes a lot of sense to play the game you're devving so you can get a good grasp on what you need to work on.

And yeah it does seem like France and China get a horrible bracket, but they did have a relatively easy time through groups. Good luck to them.

And I hear everyone's complaints about the client lag, very sorry about it but I doubt we can do much about it. Spectating 8 people at once, some of them having rather unstable Internet connections, I'm already amazed it works. The only way to have it be more stable in my opinion would be to add a boatload of buffer time, which might not even really help if people's connections are slowing down.

Oh, also, good taste KRZY. Onodera a best.
manjumochi
Well, it lags even in normal spectator mode (and with same problems), maybe this could be a hint to solve (or not, because of internet connections all over the world have a lot of variations, even good internet connection sometimes have lag).
Karuta-_old_1

manjumochi wrote:

Well, it lags even in normal spectator mode (and with same problems), maybe this could be a hint to solve (or not, because of internet connections all over the world have a lot of variations, even good internet connection sometimes have lag).
it lags when you have over 10k clients connecting to osu! doing all sort of stuffs

I am guessing that these teams will make it to quarter finals based on history and statistic (basically nothing)

Germany, Netherlands, Taiwan, Austria, Argentina, Japan, Poland, South Korea

Hopefully I am wrong though, someone might hate me for jinxing them
Vuelo Eluko

Mr Color wrote:

It really isn't. If you look at LoL, almost all of the commentators are retired pro-players. It makes a lot of sense to play the game you're devving so you can get a good grasp on what you need to work on.
well commentators are a lot different than devs~
-Soba-

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

manjumochi wrote:

it lags when you have over 10k clients connecting to osu! doing all sort of stuffs

I am guessing that these teams will make it to quarter finals based on history and statistic (basically nothing)

Wow, prepare yourself for us freedoming all over your silly predictions
silmarilen
im not really sure how you could even think argentina to be better than usa
xasuma
What about a 30-60 sec buffer time? This could be implemented in normal spectator mode as well, or just when spectating multiple people at once. THis should get rid of most of the lag. Yes crappy internet still will lag, but wouldnt it still help for most of the times? The fakes misses occur so often that no one ever knows when someone misses anymore.
manjumochi

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

manjumochi wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

im not really sure how you could even think argentina to be better than usa
I also think USA have favoritism against Argentina, despite Argentina have good players (but USA at the moment have upper hand).
Sorry for my bad english :lol: .
Sorega
/happytime

All the players are really good, they are on RO16. They will do their best, and we will enjoy this with a stream without any lag :)

/happytime off

Go France, This year is for us ! ! ! :P
Alumetorz

SUPPORT SWEDEN FOR OWC 2014
jesse1412

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

Austria
Alumetorz
i hate you jesus
Omgforz
u wot m8

we'll rek u, fite me 1v1