we really don't
Athrun

GladiOol wrote:

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

We need commoners like me
we really don't
My life was a lie.
jesse1412
Alright I guess pm's aren't the place to ask so here goes. Raiku, Azer and I have been discussing commentating the OWC this year and we'd all be happy to participate in it. People have already asked for some pro players to commentate and the three of us fit that category. We're pretty serious about it and we have a few reasons as to why it'd be good for us to do so:
1: We're all native English speakers with pretty clear voices.
2: We have all modded maps extensively, one of us is a BAT and another of us has experienced the full ranking process meaning we understand the technical aspects of maps.
3: We're fairly popular within the community so it wouldn't be bizarre to see us commentate.
4: We have experienced live streaming before and can handle the pressure very well.
5: We're GOOD PLAYERS, we know what we're talking about when we discuss how maps play and which areas are difficult.
6: We have diverse playing styles and expertise within the game and hence can (as a group) relate to neigh all of the players in some way.
7: We will most likely all be participating in the OWC and hence can convey the feelings of the players via our own experiences.
8: We've all been around for a long time and have knowledge of the games history.

So yes, we'd love a reply.
silmarilen
but what if uk has to play against canada?
Kaguya Hourain

jesus1412 wrote:

Alright I guess pm's aren't the place to ask so here goes. Raiku, Azer and I have been discussing commentating the OWC this year and we'd all be happy to participate in it. People have already asked for some pro players to commentate and the three of us fit that category. We're pretty serious about it and we have a few reasons as to why it'd be good for us to do so:
2: We have all modded maps extensively, one of us is a BAT and another of us has experienced the full ranking process meaning we understand the technical aspects of maps.
3: We're fairly popular within the community so it wouldn't be bizarre to see us commentate.
4: We have experienced live streaming before and can handle the pressure very well.
5: We're GOOD PLAYERS, we know what we're talking about when we discuss how maps play and which areas are difficult.
6: We have diverse playing styles and expertise within the game and hence can (as a group) relate to neigh all of the players in some way.
7: We will most likely all be participating in the OWC and hence can convey the feelings of the players via our own experiences.
8: We've all been around for a long time and have knowledge of the games history.

Make it happen
Azer

silmarilen wrote:

but what if uk has to play against canada?
kisata
also supporting this proposed azer/jesse/raiku commentating
GladiOol
jesse commentating?? time to pick shitty maps to hear him rage
fartownik

jesus1412 wrote:

have my babies
ivan
Team India

me
synchrostar
kittehcommando
- [ u z z i ] -
- [ r a y ] -
elpedroparka
and maybe elysion
mayank0

Ivan wrote:

Team India

me
synchrostar
kittehcommando
- [ u z z i ] -
- [ r a y ] -
elpedroparka
and maybe elysion
Lolwtf xD
fartownik

Ivan wrote:

Team India

me
synchrostar
kittehcommando
- [ u z z i ] -
- [ r a y ] -
elpedroparka
and maybe elysion
you forgot Chiranjeevi
Vuelo Eluko

apaffy wrote:

triple support, omg yes
AutoMedic

Loctav wrote:

If you wish to change your roster, send me a PM and resubmit your roster. Anyways, do this only in case someone in your team hops off or refuses to play (that's why you can still change it).

You don't need to save slots or whatever bullshit. There is no "first come, first serve". The most competitive teams registered will be accepted. The teams will be released after registration phase.

Leaving you in the dark is intended.
ayyyyyy
Dare

apaffy wrote:

That would be great imo. supporting this aswell :)
pooptartsonas
I'd love to do commentary too, if there isn't already a huge overload on the job. I think it's easy to underestimate how much there is to analyze in a game about clicking circles; there's actually quite a bit of useful commentary. Knowing the maps and what skills they require and knowing the players' strengths and weaknesses is really important and requires a pretty deep understanding of the game. Maybe we could do it like other sports/esports where there's an analytical commentator and a hype commentator, or maybe even trios. Either way, I really hope you consider getting high rank players as commentators because it makes a much bigger difference than one might think even for a game like osu!
Topic Starter
Loctav
As noticed by GladiOol, there has been a typo in the ruleset.

Actually, each bracket in the pool is only consisting of 3 maps. Just NoMod is always 6 maps. Sorry for the confusion.

Edit: whoever wants to commentate, please contact me in-game and be a bit lucky (I do not reply always). I have a few requirements on people joining this, so I can not make promises.
nya10

Loctav wrote:

Actually, each bracket in the pool is only consisting of 3 maps. Just NoMod is always 6 maps. Sorry for the confusion.

Edit: whoever wants to commentate, please contact me in-game and be a bit lucky (I do not reply always). I have a few requirements on people joining this, so I can not make promises.
Then, the total of the maps should be 19 per map pool, not 23.
Topic Starter
Loctav

nya10 wrote:

Loctav wrote:

Then, the total of the maps should be 19 per map pool, not 23.
Weirdly enough, I changed that all in my draft. No idea why I didnt copypaste it properly. Thanks for pointing out.

Edit: no wait, some idiots edited the ruleset. Geez.
Enon
korean :3
pattrik

jesus1412 wrote:

Yes please :D
sellyme
The primary thing I want to see in commentary is some kind of semblance of speed in calling - last year I regularly heard things like "[player] seems to be holding a full combo" a good 15-20 seconds after they've broken. I'm assuming it's some kind of technical issue and not just the world's worst reaction times, but it made the commentary pretty much useless, as any information they had was already redundant or false by the time the audio came through.

Beyond that I don't actually care a whole heap. Azer and jesse definitely seem like good commentator choices though.
Frostmourne

fartownik wrote:

Ivan wrote:

Team India

me
synchrostar
kittehcommando
- [ u z z i ] -
- [ r a y ] -
elpedroparka
and maybe elysion
you forgot Chiranjeevi
quick call friendok
buny

sellyme wrote:

The primary thing I want to see in commentary is some kind of semblance of speed in calling - last year I regularly heard things like "[player] seems to be holding a full combo" a good 15-20 seconds after they've broken. I'm assuming it's some kind of technical issue and not just the world's worst reaction times, but it made the commentary pretty much useless, as any information they had was already redundant or false by the time the audio came through.

Beyond that I don't actually care a whole heap. Azer and jesse definitely seem like good commentator choices though.
I'm pretty sure they have delay on their part too, since they'd have to watch the person that is streaming with the client

I hate how the commentators sometimes go quiet in the middle of the song playing; it really cools down the hype and makes it less interesting to watch. Also when they discuss something completely unrelated to osu such as pepsi and popcorn, though like other game matches that have the same problem, it usually is due to lack of ingame knowledge by the commentator that they have nothing interesting to contribute to the stream.

Hopefully this year we'll get a more professional performance from the commentators, and commentators that have a bit more knowledge on what is happening.
B1rd
I'd rather silence than them babbling on when there's nothing much to say. I agree though that we need players commentating *coughjesus*cough, because non-players just can't commentate well on something they don't know much about.
Bauxe

buny wrote:

sellyme wrote:

I'm pretty sure they have delay on their part too, since they'd have to watch the person that is streaming with the client

I hate how the commentators sometimes go quiet in the middle of the song playing; it really cools down the hype and makes it less interesting to watch. Also when they discuss something completely unrelated to osu such as pepsi and popcorn, though like other game matches that have the same problem, it usually is due to lack of ingame knowledge by the commentator that they have nothing interesting to contribute to the stream.

Hopefully this year we'll get a more professional performance from the commentators, and commentators that have a bit more knowledge on what is happening.
If they had the streaming client, I don't think there would be any issue with a delay.
fartownik
iirc the delay was caused because of the commentators having to watch the stream itself, instead of directly from the client. I guess that could be fixed by simply having all of the commentators spectating all the players using the client (same as the streamer does).
Topic Starter
Loctav
I like how you guys discuss things that was already changed or resolved one year ago. You know that there are other world cups. You worry and assume stuff right now that has been changed already looooooong ago.
Athrun
Am I the only one planning to have no sleep at all, miss school just to watch this?
Gigo

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

Am I the only one planning to have no sleep at all, miss school just to watch this?
You are waaay too much into this. I am excited to watch the OWC too, but come on...
Lytessill

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

Weekend's
plaatinum

jesus1412 wrote:

I'd really be interested in seeing this. Not to bash on the current casters, but they really add nothing much to the livestream while most of the players jesse mentioned entertain for money via streaming. I'm sure they would serve as way better casters. MWC can kind of prove why we really need better casters, considering Mr Color, arguably the best and most enthusiastic, appears not to be casting this time.
Albertol

Loctav wrote:

The most competitive teams registered will be accepted. The teams will be released after registration phase.

So that means that even though my country has sent the first request than others, if the team has "low rank" or isn't "very competitive rank", will not be selected?

I need to clarify that doubt please.
jesse1412

Albertol wrote:

Loctav wrote:

The most competitive teams registered will be accepted. The teams will be released after registration phase.

So that means that even though my country has sent the first request than others, if the team has "low rank" or isn't "very competitive rank", will not be selected?

I need to clarify that doubt please.
~Yes, if 32 stronger countries register.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Confirming jesse's statement.

Anyways, added Raiku and jesse as commentators.
Albertol

jesus1412 wrote:

~Yes, if 32 stronger countries register.
But that’s stupid because I’ve heard from different individuals that it is “The first 32 countries that register” and what you just said directly contradicts that. If it is like that, there should be a notification on the Registration thread that says: ‘Send your registration but keep in mind that only 32 countries will be accepted, which we will pick based on the competitiveness of the country/team’ because I know of many countries that have never participated on the OWC that were waiting for your Registration thread in order to participate. In the case that the countries that are more ‘competitive’ are registered, those countries would have lost their time and opportunity believing that they were registered for sure just to be cancelled without knowing why (Because not everyone reads the Discussion thread). Basically, very few of the countries that wanted to participate for the first time will make it. I think that is unfair imo.
deadbeat
this is the owc! world cup. it makes sense to have the top 32 teams enter into the competition. it was "The first 32 countries that register" last year i believe, but this is a much better way of doing things
Albertol

deadbeat wrote:

this is the owc! world cup. it makes sense to have the top 32 teams enter into the competition. it was "The first 32 countries that register" last year i believe, but this is a much better way of doing things

But previously one player of our country asked Loctav directly because of this matter and he responded saying this: (I hope Loctav doesn’t find offensive that I revealed this PMs, if he does let me know. Sorry in advance.)

http://puu.sh/c3aiV/25b4f54e6d.png
http://puu.sh/c3akW/120c1c0ccf.png

And yes, you are right, the best teams should compete but I believe that some ‘Preliminary rounds’ to decide who’ll go would be better than this. I repeat, a lot of people will be disappointed because of this. It should have at least been mentioned beforehand.
deadbeat
Preliminary rounds shouldn't be needed imo. The tournament management will have a way of identifying the top 32 teams for entry. also there people will be disappointed no matter how this is done. it's a simple fact that can't be avoided
Gigo
I am curious about something. Let's say that 31 of the spots are already taken and several countries of very similar "competitiveness value" are fighting for the last spot. Who decides then which country will get it? I mean, we can't use https://osu.ppy.sh/p/countryranking as a reference value, because that page hasn't been updated in a while, so... how is it decided?
show more