forum

higher audio bitrate = higher performance impact?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ankoku samael
well i guess the title explained it
i've been curious about this thing since yesterday because my friend told me that after he follow my advice to increasing the audio default format rate from 24bit 48KHz to 24bit 192KHz so he can get better listening experiences, but now he's telling me that he got a little fps drops and some spiky lag while playing osu!
but to be honest, i've used that sample setting since ages ago but i feel no impact tho..
*additional info: his laptop's specs is a low-end pc with dual core 1,65GHz

so is it true that the higher the format rate will cause more performance hit? :?
NixXSkate
FrzR
I don't know much but at least I know that the higher the bitrate, the larger the file is. *hides
Cyclohexane
Man have I missed the part when this subforum became Tech Support?
Topic Starter
ankoku samael

Mr Color wrote:

Man have I missed the part when this subforum became Tech Support?
wha? did i step in to the wrong spot here? because i don't think that i'm asking for Tect Support, i'm just sharing my curiosity and want to discuss it in wide meaning *not in-game connected

but if i did wrong, i apologize and i don't mind if this thread's locked or closed or removed
no offense, no hard feeling :)
IppE

ankoku samael wrote:

increasing the audio default format rate from 24bit 48KHz to 24bit 192KHz so he can get better listening experiences
No. A low end laptop doesn't even have the hardware capable of actually outputting high quality audio and jacking up the software settings isn't going to do anything when all your audio sources are probably 16-bit 44.1kHz to begin with.

ankoku samael wrote:

but now he's telling me that he got a little fps drops and some spiky lag while playing osu!
osu! does that regardless of what you do.

ankoku samael wrote:

so is it true that the higher the format rate will cause more performance hit? :?
Probably just a coincidence.
Topic Starter
ankoku samael

IppE wrote:

ankoku samael wrote:

increasing the audio default format rate from 24bit 48KHz to 24bit 192KHz so he can get better listening experiences
No. A low end laptop doesn't even have the hardware capable of actually outputting high quality audio and jacking up the software settings isn't going to do anything when all your audio sources are probably 16-bit 44.1kHz to begin with.

ankoku samael wrote:

but now he's telling me that he got a little fps drops and some spiky lag while playing osu!
osu! does that regardless of what you do.

ankoku samael wrote:

Probably just a coincidence.
so that is how it works. well, i don't know much about his hardware so i just advice him to use the same setting like mine and then he keeps blaming me for his spike lag. however, i never pay attention to the fps drops or the spike lag on mine. I should do a research about it sometimes
well, thanks for the enlightenment. I really appreciate it and i'm gonna tell him about this so he can stop blaming on me
Azure_Kite
Why would your settings impact on his in any way? It's not like the audio is kept synchronised between players.

Tell him he's looking for an excuse other than the obvious.
Topic Starter
ankoku samael

Azure_Kite wrote:

Why would your settings impact on his in any way? It's not like the audio is kept synchronised between players.

Tell him he's looking for an excuse other than the obvious.
i guess we're not in the same page here so let me make this more clear
it's not my settings that had impact on his, i recommend him to use the same settings as mine but then he keeps complaining about lags and some crap to me right after he use my settings for his laptop
But maybe you're right, maybe he's just using it as an excuse for his lags. Yet, i'm still curious about this thing you know :D
RyanTheNerd
Yeah, it does have a higher performance impact. I have had experience with it. I think it's because the processor has to work harder to play at a higher quality. Most songs have a bitrate way lower than what your settings are at. I'd set my quality to dvd quality. 16 bit 48000hz because that's literally the absolute limit of frequency for mp3 files.
Topic Starter
ankoku samael

RyanTheNerd wrote:

Yeah, it does have a higher performance impact. I have had experience with it. I think it's because the processor has to work harder to play at a higher quality. Most songs have a bitrate way lower than what your settings are at. I'd set my quality to dvd quality. 16 bit 48000hz because that's literally the absolute limit of frequency for mp3 files.
I see.. If you said you have experienced it, then it might be true. I have done my research about it also, i used my settings on my other laptop which have lower specs than the one i usually use and based on the fps benchmark, yes i think i got a little more fps drops when playing some games. I'm not very sure though
I'll tell him to revert the settings then, or maybe use the same setting as yours. hopefully it can calm him down
Mr Capuce
Jarby

ankoku samael wrote:

follow my advice to increasing the audio default format rate from 24bit 48KHz to 24bit 192KHz so he can get better listening experiences
Yeah unless your friend is a bat, that will have literally no impact on him.