forum

Is it better to play a little every day, or a lot in bursts?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rep_old_1
Is it better to play, say, one session of 10 minutes every day, or one session of 1 hour every week?
Blanky
an hour every week. You need to have time to warm up.
Mofu kun
play whenever you want

dont make this like a sport, it's just for fun.
nrl
I don't think you'll get much of anything done in either 10 minutes a day or one hour a week, but consistency is usually more valuable than total playing time as far as skill is concerned. If you're going for FCs, the reverse is true in my experience.
Icyteru
bursts.
[-Cloud-]
Little bit, if you only have the same amount of time for let's say a month. The brain needs time and sleep to process the stuff you did over the day.
Gumpy

MoF10 wrote:

play whenever you want

dont make this like a sport, it's just for fun.
This is the answer.
Senpoii
24/7 nolife that stuff.
buny
If you're playing 1 hour a week then you'll just lose whatever you gained over the rest of the week, and if you play 10 minutes a day then you're playing like 2/3 maps a day and are just going to lose those gains overnight...

osu! isn't an orpg where you can just save your progress
otonashi-senpai

Blanky wrote:

an hour every week. You need to have time to warm up.
This is wrong.

But really osu! is a game. Just play as you want. If you want to improve fast you have to put in more time in it. Consistency is the most important point. And of course if you play 7 hours in one day or 1 hours every day the one hour a day will be far, far more superior in terms of getting better. The longer you play the less efficient it gets. But playing 5 minutes a day won't help either. (this goes for many other things as well)

But as long as you have fun, keep going.
silmarilen
a lot every day
Rewben2

[AirCoN] wrote:

bursts.
Spirit_Dreamer
From my experience the best is - burst, rest, burst, rest, burst, rest..... after rest your concentration level is the highest,also it's good for forgetting bad habits.And when you play a lot hours at once you improve more.Of course if you have incredible concentration and hand/finger stamina (and no life) the best is to play all days most of the time xD
TakuMii

He4rtl3ss wrote:

7 hours in one day
This is not the way to go.
My playcount is substantially higher than most other people at my skill level, and I don't see any signs of improvement when I play for practically the whole day. Playing for this long will only make you tired.
You will want to take regular breaks, maybe (on a somewhat unrelated note) think about doing some exercising on the side. Good cardio health helps with everything, and it'll especially help with preventing yourself from getting a heart attack from that FC you didn't expect to pull off.

That being said, neither of the options you gave in the OP is even remotely enough time to make much of an improvement. 10 minutes wouldn't provide any time to warm up. 1 hour is somewhat better, but once a week isn't consistent enough to help you improve.
nooblet

silmarilen wrote:

a lot every day
Yakuyan
Little bit (1 hour) everyday or a lot (3+ hours) ever so often.
Seenko_
I have nothing to do when I'm home so I usually play 2-3 hours every day :P
Top Bunk
If all you can afford is 10 minutes a day or 1 hour a week, then either you have too much of a life that you really have no life at all, or this game is simply not meant for you.

You learn absolutely nothing with only 10 minute sessions. Not even enough warm-up time to get your mind focused. And only playing once a week for an hour will just make you lose any skill gained over the rest of the week. One hour a day on the other hand would be better than nothing (or maybe with a day off for a break or something once in a while). Which is essentially what someone else already said earlier in this thread.
chainpullz
I find it usually takes me a nearly a hour to warm up and be comfortable enough to start pushing limits. I guess you could probably argue I'm warmed up after 30 minutes but it depends on what I warm up on and such. I usually don't full combo and top ranks without warming up for at least an hour. I think at least 2 hours is optimal if you want to push limits and anything less than an hour feels like I didn't have enough time to play all the songs I wanted to.
you should only burst 420 bpm, silly OP