forum

General profile rank questions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pianokid272
Sorry if I sound like a major newbie >_<

I only started playing osu!mania about a month ago and I'm really confused how the ranking (not beatmap) system works. I'm confused on if it is just only based off of ranked score or pp or some combination?

I ask because when I move my cursor over ranked score I get...

Ranked Score is the main metric of osu!, which gives you your rank in the online score charts. It consists of the highest passing score you have achieved in each beatmap set. this means that if you play both normal and hard difficulties of the same beatmap set, only the highest scoring difficulty will be included.
I read this but I can get a 980k+ on a super easy difficulty and then get a ~800k on a hard difficulty and I still increase in rank...

Is there more to it than this says? Because with that criteria for ranking, you could be not that great but just 100% all the super easy difficulties and be ranked very high. It also makes it seem that the more ranked beatmaps you have, the higher you will be ranked.

Can someone give me a quick explanation on how this works? Thanks!

P.S. Trying to break past 10k in rank
Tidek
The more pp you have then maps with the same difficulty level will give you less and less pp untill you will get nothing for that kind of maps, so you have to play harder ones if you still want to earn pp and improve in rank.
Topic Starter
Pianokid272
So the ranking system is a mix of pp and ranked score. Is there a way to track pp or do I just assume I'm not getting any pp for a difficulty range?

That makes much more sense than what I was thinking though. Thanks!
Meseki

Tidek wrote:

The more pp you have then maps with the same difficulty level will give you less and less pp untill you will get nothing for that kind of maps, so you have to play harder ones if you still want to earn pp and improve in rank.
This is worded a bit weirdly, and could imply the wrong thing..

pp (Performance Points) determines your rank now; Ranked Score was the old (flawed) system for determining rank. Doing really well on a really easy song won't give as much pp as doing okay (~A rank) on a harder song, as pp takes the difficulty of the song into consideration. Also, pp gain from an individual song is weighted (as you can see in Top Ranks in your profile), so at most, you'll only get pp for your best ~105-107 records (I don't remember the exact number), as opposed to getting pp for every single song you play.
Tornspirit

Here are your top ranks (... or would be if the image would show up. not sure why it isn't for me...). Your top four scores are worth 48, 43, 43, 41 pp respectively.

Your very top rank is worth 100% of the actual PP worth. So you get the full 48 pp out of the top rank.

Your next rank is only worth 95% of the top rank. It calculates this for you, as you can see, 43 pp weighted 95% is worth 41 pp.

The rank after that is worth only 95% of 95%, which is roughly 90% (the system rounds numbers), so 90% of 43 pp is 38 pp.

Next rank is worth 95% of the previous rank, which is 86%... etc. Once you reach an adequate number of ranked and played songs, low pp scores are pretty much negligible to your ranking and can be pretty much ignored. The system focuses upon your best performances rather than all performances.
Bobbias
If it wasn't already clear: ranked score is completely meaningless now. It's completely outdated.

Here's an example of how important song difficulty is, this is my top score:

Not even an S, and it's rank 550 on the song, so it's not particularly highly ranked on that song either, but it's worth significantly more than anything else.
Topic Starter
Pianokid272
Interesting, this is making much more sense now. I wish this was explained better in the wiki >_>

So what I am understanding now is that the more hard songs I play, the less the lower difficulty stuff will count towards my rank. That makes sense. Thanks for all the help everyone ^_^

Does this mean that it is a bad thing to play the lower difficult beatmaps that would be really easy to me?
Bobbias
I think it actually depends on exactly how well you can perform on harder maps. Keep in mind that the difficulty of a map in these calculations isn't perfect, and some things are over or undervalued, and star difficulty doesn't directly translate into higher PP value (although there's a pretty strong tend).

You're still in the 2-3 star range for most of your scores, so I would say try playing a few 3-4 star songs and see if you can get some PP out of it. If you watch the top ranks section on your profile you can check for differences.