forum

Alternating Or Single Tap?!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Komi
Well, I've always been doing full alternations. It feels most comfortable to me, but I only see single tappers! Anyone else do full alternations?
Is single tapping better? D: Should I try tapping with one finger until I need to use two for streaming? Help is much appreciated! :oops:
Mathsma
Do whatever you want. There are top players who single tap (hvick, sayo, rrtyui) and there are top players who alternate (HAUHAU, B e N i, Azer). Most people single tap because they feel comfortable doing that.
Topic Starter
Komi

Komi wrote:

Well, I've always been doing full alternations. It feels most comfortable to me, but I only see single tappers! Anyone else do full alternations?
Is single tapping better? D: Should I try tapping with one finger until I need to use two for streaming? Help is much appreciated! :oops:
We're talking about full alternations right? o: I've never seen Azer do full alterations.
Yakuyan
People say that alternators don't have as much stamina or speed as singletappers. But I've seen plenty of pro alternators, so I don't think it's much of a disadvantage. If you want, learn singletapping. It doesn't hurt to learn it anyway :D
Topic Starter
Komi

TheBurningFlame wrote:

People say that alternators don't have as much stamina or speed as singletappers. But I've seen plenty of pro alternators, so I don't think it's much of a disadvantage. If you want, learn singletapping. It doesn't hurt to learn it anyway :D
I'm not great at streaming, so yeah maybe that is true. Do you think its worth investing the time to get better at single tapping tho? I would try to get better at single tapping then try and see if my speed got faster for alternating. Its just I probably have to go back to 2-3 star songs for single tapping. It's extremely hard and uncomfortable. Also, do people single tap with their middle finger or index? I'm assuming index but I just wanna be sure.
Yakuyan

Komi wrote:

I'm not great at streaming, so yeah maybe that is true. Do you think its worth investing the time to get better at single tapping tho? I would try to get better at single tapping then try and see if my speed got faster for alternating. Its just I probably have to go back to 2-3 star songs for single tapping. It's extremely hard and uncomfortable. Also, do people single tap with their middle finger or index? I'm assuming index but I just wanna be sure.
It is said that increasing singletapping speeds will definitely increase streaming speeds and increase stamina which I believe is true. I believe it is worth investing the time to singletap if you want to progress faster speed and stamina wise. You can also switch between singletapping and alternating, which really helps if you get tired. About the middle finger and index, just about more than half singletap with their index. I personally singletap with my index if you wanted to know lol.
Topic Starter
Komi

TheBurningFlame wrote:

Komi wrote:

It is said that increasing singletapping speeds will definitely increase streaming speeds and increase stamina which I believe is true. I believe it is worth investing the time to singletap if you want to progress faster speed and stamina wise. You can also switch between singletapping and alternating, which really helps if you get tired. About the middle finger and index, just about more than half singletap with their index. I personally singletap with my index if you wanted to know lol.

Alright, thanks. :D I'll try some single tapping from time to time, hoping that helps. I tried single tapping and I notice my middle finger rises so that when I actually need to switch back to double its too late. I mess up a lot ... Guess it just takes practice. Also, does your middle finger stay down on the keys? Maybe I should practice just tapping with one finger on a hard surface while keeping my middle finger flat down.
Mathsma
If you are going to put in effort to learn how to single tap, learn to single tap with both fingers.
Vuelo Eluko
singletap
ingletap
ngletap
gletap
letap
etap
tap
ap
p
Topic Starter
Komi

Mathsma wrote:

If you are going to put in effort to learn how to single tap, learn to single tap with both fingers.
Yep! Will try doing that.
GoldenWolf
Why not both?
Topic Starter
Komi

GoldenWolf wrote:

Why not both?
Both what? o:
GoldenWolf

Komi wrote:

winber1
i'd tap that

and not just once
byfar
single tap for anything under 200 bpm imo
Topic Starter
Komi

GoldenWolf wrote:

Komi wrote:

As of now I suck at singletapping any 4star+ songs, but I do singletap SOMETIMES when it's slow enough, its just alternating feels so much better. If singletapping can help my speed/streaming then I'll do it from time to time. I also wanted to know if practicing singletapping or keep on practicing alternating, which one would help me improve better at streaming? :?
byfar
coming from a pianist, alternating doesnt really help stamina during streams since its just too slow and doesnt really push your fingers to the limit. However it could be good for stability during higher bpm streams. On the other hand single tapping probably since you tap real fast as you do in streams, so it definity helps you stream faster and longer if you can single tap fast enough
byfar
Also i only alternate if its a slider and theres a really fast 1/8 or 1/6 whatever singletap note right after
Topic Starter
Komi

byfar wrote:

um alternating doesnt put strain on your hands and train it so i dont believe it helps streaming.
Not as much as singletapping no it doesn't... But it still does put strain on your hand. Especially with a lot of spammy songs. But I do see your point.
byfar

Komi wrote:

byfar wrote:

um alternating doesnt put strain on your hands and train it so i dont believe it helps streaming.
Not as much as singletapping no it doesn't... But it still does put strain on your hand. Especially with a lot of spammy songs. But I do see your point.
I mean dont get me wrong slow streams (slow alternating as well) improves stability but it just doesnt improve stamina
D e s
i'd say use BOTH! ahuaehuaheuahe
Black Wolf159
The Both are good but Single Tapping is the most common like you see.
Alternating really help in the songs that you're slow to single Tap. Like "Image Material, Scarlet Rose, maybe Eighto"
Gumpy
Both are viable so don't bother changing it.
xGx

I Give Up
Stick to full alternation, it is natural to you so don't change for nobody.
Kwinii_old

winber1 wrote:

i'd tap that

and not just once
Pretty much.
Heterozygous_old
Here's a list of full-alter pros that I have in mind for now:

0OoMickeyoO0
Yakumo Yukari
SiLviA, this guy was active before '12, he's not so active now, but he had the highest historical ranking (global #2 on Aug. 2012) among full-alter players.
doctorindark

Some mappers use full-alter as well, like Sync, Lan wings and Scorpiour. I believe there's more.

Additionally, there are some guys doing full-alter tap/x, the only players/mappers using this style that I know are:
Black Sheep
Amamiya Yuko (Better known as Skystar)
Peace, seems inactive now...
Alternative, seems inactive as well...

But right, single-alter players make the most majority group among all. There's no valid evidence to confirm that full-alter or anything else is inferior though.

Additionally, afaik most of these active guys can speak English nice and fluent (Mickey not confirmed), so you can catch them in game and ask for some advise or tips.
show more