forum

Noodlefighter osu keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Foxi
I think it would be funny worth noting I actually screwed up my first attempt.
The middle key is broken, the right works some of the time, and the left is fine.
Thnikk
Foxi

Thnikk wrote:

Other two are up! https://www.etsy.com/listing/215249814/ ... e_active_1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/215252835/ ... e_active_2

Ooooh, I just might get this. 8-)

edit: Shoot, turns out I can't buy it right away. I bought the TechKeys Business Card again earlier today. I can probably get it in a week, though.
Thnikk
The first non-prototype has sold! The two prototypes are up and the price for the one with the escape button has dropped to $30.

I have the parts for the next batch on the way now and they should be up by the end of the month. I also got some smaller boxes for international shipping, so that will be $40 for anyone in the US and $45 internationally including shipping. Expect to see some options on the shop page for keycaps ;) I would also like to have a lower cost option without LEDs and escape key (still trying to settle on price.)
ZenithPhantasm
What is the polling rate of your homebrewed keyboards?
Deimos

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

hmm... oke... just one problem

how to measure the polling rate of a keyboard?
Foxi
This time I didn't burn my board, so it works just fine. I will need to know how to modify the coding though, so it's just a wait for Sorun to help.
byfar
2 keys for 25 dollars. Man I'd rather get me an 108key all purpose mech kb for 100
Thnikk

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I haven't noticed any issues with missing keystrokes or latency (and I run these at 16mhz instead of 8,) but this is something I should find out. I hope to have an answer for you within the next few days.

byfar wrote:

2 keys for 25 dollars. Man I'd rather get me an 108key all purpose mech kb for 100
Yeah but only $10 more for a third key. Excellent value!

I read this with a kappa at the end of it so I read it as a joke, but I'll try to provide some insight for anyone asking the same question.

-This isn't really something anyone needs to play osu, it's just a nice luxury hardware accessory to have.

-I have a mechanical keyboard, but to use it when playing osu means I have to reach past my tablet to play which is uncomfortable.

-I wouldn't necessarily say a mechanical keyboard is inherently better for playing the game when accounting for travel distance. Especially when playing a game like this, it's very difficult to not bottom out the keys with a linear keyswitch since there's no bump. If you have this in mind when shopping for a keyboard, you could get tactile switches, but even then it's still somewhat difficult to discern the actuation point in the heat of the game. I haven't included this in the product description (because I forgot) but I include two 2 mm o-rings (so 4 mm total) to lower the travel distance to just a little bit after the actuation point, which should make them a lot easier to hit in quick sequence.

-Reducing wear on your keyboard. It would suck to be typing and find out that your z or x keys stopped working.

-Portability if you move around a lot/have multiple computers.

-Customization without having to buy a whole set of keycaps.

If it seems cost prohibitive, keep in mind that I'm just making these for fun and not really making much of a profit. They do take time to make and I don't want to outsource to child labor :(
Gumica
I'd probably dive into such a project myself, but I fear that the raw materials and parts would cost way more to get them delivered to a third world country, than actually buying the keypad from one of you guys ~.~

When will you make 'em available for us, outside of US, Thnikk :> ?
Thnikk

Gumica wrote:

I'd probably dive into such a project myself, but I fear that the raw materials and parts would cost way more to get them delivered to a third world country, than actually buying the keypad from one of you guys ~.~

When will you make 'em available for us, outside of US, Thnikk :> ?
Not trying to pimp myself here, but even in the US the parts are pretty expensive if you're just buying for one. You really have to be into it for the fun of making it yourself.

I'm aiming for the first week of January (for reals this time, shipping is probably going to take a while considering the time of year.) I should get the shipping boxes before xmas so the two I have up now should be available internationally by the 26th.

Small update: I have some white blank DSA PBT keycaps on the way that will be a much cheaper (well, relative to the price of the keypad) option compared to the keypop ones. I'll also offer an option for none if you guys would like to use your own. I still absolutely love the designs of the keypop keycaps and how they look with the LEDs and I hope you guys do too. Pricing looks a lot better now for people who are looking for something less flashy :)
ZenithPhantasm
Would there be a premium "metal keycap" version?
Thnikk

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Would there be a premium "metal keycap" version?
I'd think about it if enough people showed enough interest in the first batch. I don't think they would be very practical to buy at low volume and I'll already have 30-50 extra blanks at the end of this one.
Foxi

Thnikk wrote:

I'd think about it if enough people showed enough interest in the first batch. I don't think they would be very practical to buy at low volume and I'll already have 30-50 extra blanks at the end of this one.
You're really putting bank into this.
xasuma
any other website to buy key caps other than techkeys and maxkeyboards ?
ZenithPhantasm

xasuma wrote:

http://wasdkeyboards.com
Thnikk

InnocentEyes wrote:

You're really putting bank into this.
Nah, it's not that much. I used to mod Game Boys and those were a lot more expensive to work with. I'll admit it does add up pretty quick when you buy batches of keycaps, though.

xasuma wrote:

I like http://www.keypop.net/ and http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products (I love double shot keycaps if you guys can't tell)

And then there's everything: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeybo ... capsellers
xasuma
Can anyone tell me the exact dimensions of the techkeys business card? (Im trying to find a perfect fit case for it).
Foxi

xasuma wrote:

Can anyone tell me the exact dimensions of the techkeys business card? (Im trying to find a perfect fit case for it).
3.5 in x 2 in (slightly over)

(edit: Made easier to read)
Foxi
Sorun is so awesome. He just helped me figure out how to change the firmware. I can probably help out anyone stuck on the firmware step now.
Thnikk
Some keycaps came in!

InnocentEyes wrote:

3.5 in x 2 in (slightly over)

(edit: Made easier to read)
You could also mount it externally if it ends up being too huge with the enclosure (since you'd need something super thin for the keycaps to not be recessed beyond use) and use 2 boxes or just one for the keyswitches. It wouldn't be beautiful but it might make it a little more usable.
Foxi
I don't need my osu! keyboard anymore because I just got a Razer BlackWidow with blue backlighting and brown switches. What a rare find, never sold retail. I got a pretty good deal.

I will still make a tutorial in maybe... a few months and put it on my YouTube channel to teach anyone interested how to make their own, though.
ZenithPhantasm

InnocentEyes wrote:

I don't need my osu! keyboard anymore because I just got a Razer BlackWidow with blue backlighting and brown switches. What a rare find, never sold retail. I got a pretty good deal.

I will still make a tutorial in maybe... a few months and put it on my YouTube channel to teach anyone interested how to make their own, though.
Are you interested in selling it? Also does it support 1000hz polling or PS/2 (This matters for me)
E m i

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Are you interested in selling it? Also does it support 1000hz polling or PS/2 (This matters for me)
Foxi

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I would totally give it out for free, but I messed up the lights on it and it made me pretty depressed.
ZenithPhantasm

InnocentEyes wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I would totally give it out for free, but I messed up the lights on it and it made me pretty depressed.
As long as it doesn't look broken and works extremely well I could care less about how it looks.
ZenithPhantasm

[ Momiji ] wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Not all keyboards/keypads/whatever supports PS/2 *cough* Razer *cough*
Thnikk
My boxes finally came in so I can now ship internationally! The two prototypes now have the added shipping option.

On a more sour note, mechanicalkeyboards.com was out of stock on the switches and told me a few days after I ordered (and didn't change the stock available on the website, they just removed the add to cart button strangely enough.) I ordered from wasd this time and hopefully they'll ship on Monday or Tuesday.
They're in the same state so they should get here pretty quickly. Still waiting on the plastic housings but those are on their way and should be here on Tuesday. Of course the two things I could actually work on come last >:(

@ZenithPhantasm I'm still trying to find the polling rate of mine but I'm pretty sure it's not 1000, probably 125-500. For a higher polling rate I'd have to go with another micro controller like a teensy but those go for $16 each. If you're interested I could make one for you but it'd probably end up being around $45 USD.
Gumica
Well, in all honestly, 125Hz polling rate for keyboards should be enough for everyone, unless you intend to use the keypad for a machine or your fingers have a pressing time faster than 8ms :^)
Sorun
I'm willing to sell some of my boards. Haven't been playing lately. I got clears, reds, and browns. All in perfect working condition with LEDs. The reds middle switch is slightly crooked and raised, but works perfectly in my testing. I also got 2 clean techkey boards ready to be soldered that will come with LEDs of your choice.
FieryLight

Gumica wrote:

Well, in all honestly, 125Hz polling rate for keyboards should be enough for everyone, unless you intend to use the keypad for a machine or your fingers have a pressing time faster than 8ms :^)
It's not about when you press it, it's about when it registers. If you've tapped on time while your mouse was moving you'd only be hindered by your keyboard's lower polling rate. It's definitely possible to play with 125 Hz but you'll have an easier time with something like 500 or 1000 Hz.
ZenithPhantasm

FieryLight wrote:

Gumica wrote:

It's not about when you press it, it's about when it registers. If you've tapped on time while your mouse was moving you'd only be hindered by your keyboard's lower polling rate. It's definitely possible to play with 125 Hz but you'll have an easier time with something like 500 or 1000 Hz.
Exactly. Also my unstable rate is much more consistent on my Razer BW at 1000hz vs 125hz.
ZenithPhantasm

Thnikk wrote:

@ZenithPhantasm I'm still trying to find the polling rate of mine but I'm pretty sure it's not 1000, probably 125-500. For a higher polling rate I'd have to go with another micro controller like a teensy but those go for $16 each. If you're interested I could make one for you but it'd probably end up being around $45 USD.
If your current prototypes support PS/2 then there's no reason to go with another micro controller.
Thnikk

FieryLight wrote:

Gumica wrote:

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Thnikk wrote:

If your current prototypes support PS/2 then there's no reason to go with another micro controller.
I'll check it out, but it might take me a day as I don't have a computer with a ps/2 port running right now.

edit: Questions regarding mine can go here.
Foxi
I gave my good friend my osu! keyboard I made. I suppose that means I need to make another soon. I'll need to find a way to record a video, though.
xasuma
Thnikk how do you cut your cases? (By cut I mean make the little holes) . I've no idea how to do it. lol
Thnikk

xasuma wrote:

Thnikk how do you cut your cases? (By cut I mean make the little holes) . I've no idea how to do it. lol
Oops, sorry. Haven't been looking at this thread :oops:

I use a pencil, craft knife, and dremel. I have a stencil I made to make marks on the plastic with the pencil, then I score it with the knife and cut it with the dremel. The side hole for the escape button is just freehand with a drill bit.
xasuma
OK I see, thanks.

And If anyone that knows how to load the drivers onto the techkeys business card sees this post, can you help me please? I will be online in game,please contact me there. I can't figure it out. :(

EDIT: got it working thanks to innocenteyes , but the LED's aren't working. I am sure they are soldered correctly.. But they have never turned on. Neither of them. If if was a solder issue, at least I know one of them is absolutely perfect.
xasuma
I finished it for now (other than the led's everything works)
You can see I didnt have a proper tool to cut plastic.. lol

ZenithPhantasm
Try using sandpaper/file to smooth the edges
show more