forum

Noodlefighter osu keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Foxi
Oh boy, the LED diodes I bought have a rounded button so they don't fit correctly. Guess I have to buy specialized diodes for Cherry MX. I'm not going to stop now because of that, though.
Foxi

InnocentEyes wrote:

Oh boy, the LED diodes I bought have a rounded button so they don't fit correctly. Guess I have to buy specialized diodes for Cherry MX. I'm not going to stop now because of that, though.
They work, they just have trouble going down all the way because of my narrow keycap, plus the light is too tall and has a ring around it. The picture is me showing how to activate the lights without soldering. It has to be held at a very specific angle. Try to ignore the chipped nail polish.

Update: I decided to keep them because I figured out a good way to make them work.
Deimos

InnocentEyes wrote:

Dang, I've gotta try that out. How did you get them to stick to the bottom of the case, though?
Also, what color switches?
I cut 2 squares (14x14mm with 5mm distance) out of a piece of plexiglass and pressed the switches in the square holes. After that I sticked the plexiglass with a strong stickum on the opposite side of the selfmade woodcase. I also sticked the adafruit trinket and the bottom of the case since I couldn't find short and thin screws. After some soldering it's finished.

This are acutally brown switches, I also have 2 greens but damn they are so hard.
Sorun

Deimos wrote:

1x Adafruit Trinket - Mini Mircocontroller - 5V Logic
1x mini USB cable
2x MX cherry keys
2x Keycaps
2x LEDs
1x suitable case
?x some wire

and some amateurish program skills
Looks comfy. Did you ever try programming the LEDs to sync with the beats of a song? Seems much easier to do then on the Techkeys board which sadly I am coming to find impossible to do.
Sorun

InnocentEyes wrote:

They work, they just have trouble going down all the way because of my narrow keycap, plus the light is too tall and has a ring around it. The picture is me showing how to activate the lights without soldering. It has to be held at a very specific angle. Try to ignore the chipped nail polish.

Update: I decided to keep them because I figured out a good way to make them work.

Weird I didn't have a single problem with my LEDs. Yours are 3mm correct?
Ohrami
why not just buy a real keyboard
Foxi

Kyou-kun wrote:

Because it's cheaper and it could be a fun project. A good programmable mechanical keyboard is $100-300.
Foxi

Sorun wrote:

InnocentEyes wrote:

Weird I didn't have a single problem with my LEDs. Yours are 3mm correct?
They are 3mm, but they are not exclusively meant for Cherry MX switches.
Sorun

Kyou-kun wrote:

I already have. I'm just doing this for fun. Could also be a good solution for laptop users on the go.
Deimos

Kyou-kun wrote:

Too easy and doesn't make fun.
Thnikk

Deimos wrote:

1x mini USB cable
2x MX cherry keys
2x Keycaps
2x LEDs
1x suitable case
?x some wire

That is a beautiful case :)

Could you help me with my code for the trinket? I'm as far down on the novice scale as it gets. This is my first day with a microcontroller (and any real programming, for that matter.)

I'm using the print function, which works, but obviously not well for osu as it just registers the key being pressed a lot instead of being held down. I've also tried using TrinketKeyboard.pressKey but it seems to do essentially the same thing but require a modifier to be used with it. Is there documentation anywhere or could you perhaps share your code with me?
Deimos

Thnikk wrote:

Deimos wrote:

1x mini USB cable
2x MX cherry keys
2x Keycaps
2x LEDs
1x suitable case
?x some wire

That is a beautiful case :)

Could you help me with my code for the trinket? I'm as far down on the novice scale as it gets. This is my first day with a microcontroller (and any real programming, for that matter.)

I'm using the print function, which works, but obviously not well for osu as it just registers the key being pressed a lot instead of being held down. I've also tried using TrinketKeyboard.pressKey but it seems to do essentially the same thing but require a modifier to be used with it. Is there documentation anywhere or could you perhaps share your code with me?
#include <TrinketKeyboard.h>
#define Key_1 0 // key Z,
#define Key_2 2 // key X

void setup()
{
pinMode(Key_1, INPUT);
pinMode(Key_2, INPUT);
digitalWrite(Key_1, HIGH);
digitalWrite(Key_2, HIGH);
TrinketKeyboard.begin();
}

void loop()
{
TrinketKeyboard.poll();

if (!digitalRead(Key_1))
{
if (!digitalRead(Key_2))
{
TrinketKeyboard.pressKey(0, KEYCODE_Z, KEYCODE_X);
}
else
{
TrinketKeyboard.pressKey(0, KEYCODE_Z);
}
}
else if (!digitalRead(Key_2))
{
TrinketKeyboard.pressKey(0, KEYCODE_X);
}
else
{
TrinketKeyboard.pressKey(0, 0);
}
}

Would also be cool if you post your code :)
Thnikk

Deimos wrote:

meaningful giberish

Would also be cool if you post your code :)
You are awesome, thank you so much :D Here's babby's first tutorial edit
#include <TrinketKeyboard.h>

#define PIN_BUTTON_0 0
#define PIN_BUTTON_2 2

void setup()
{
pinMode(PIN_BUTTON_0, INPUT);
pinMode(PIN_BUTTON_2, INPUT);
digitalWrite(PIN_BUTTON_0, HIGH);
digitalWrite(PIN_BUTTON_2, HIGH);

TrinketKeyboard.begin();
}

void loop()
{
TrinketKeyboard.poll();
delay(3);

if (digitalRead(PIN_BUTTON_0) == LOW)
{
TrinketKeyboard.print("z");
}

if (digitalRead(PIN_BUTTON_2) == LOW)
{
TrinketKeyboard.print("x");
}
}
I can see what I did wrong now... kinda. Here's my actual keypad

I did a really bad job when cutting the top of the box for the keyswitches, so they're not 100% straight and one of them pops out. I'm also an idiot and forgot to solder in my resistor to my LED when I was first testing everything and I only had 2 on me, so now I have to wait for more to come in. I'm definitely going to redo it sometime over the next week and try to make the keyswitches more recessed so it feels less awkward to use and get some of these awesome keycaps in pink and purple: http://www.keypop.net/product/transluce ... pop-keycap

edit: sometime over the next week=immediately after posting

Recut the body and I'm using my old filco keycaps upside-down for the angle

Put some rubber feet on the bottom that actually work pretty well despite the weight

Hotglued the trinket to the side of the housing and cut a hole for the mini usb port. If the hotglue doesn't hold, it's easy enough to reapply and it should keep me from being able to put too much stress on the usb port.
Foxi
Next time I'm going to use a Trinket, definitely.
Deimos
O-M-G *_*

At least I got my 3 Button Keyboard working today (x, y and ESC)
Foxi

Deimos wrote:

O-M-G *_*

Officially jealous.
Thnikk

Deimos wrote:

O-M-G *_*

Daaaaaang, that's beautiful. I definitely want to try making a housing like that. I'm still messing around with mine quite a bit. Added an escape key as well, a pot to change the brightness of the LEDs, added a clear top to the keyswitches, and made the LEDs light up upon keypress. I'm going to try adding a dpdt switch to switch between always on and reactive and using a smaller pot (both in the mail).

ZenithPhantasm
Are those for sale? :)
Thnikk

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Are those for sale? :)
I would like for them to be, I just want to settle on some parts and placements first. Escape on the right isn't really the best idea, you have to move your hand up for your thumb to reach, and I'm not sure if I like the red cap on the button. If all goes well with the parts I have coming in right now, I should have the first few up by early January :D
Foxi

Thnikk wrote:

I would like for them to be, I just want to settle on some parts and placements first. Escape on the right isn't really the best idea, you have to move your hand up for your thumb to reach, and I'm not sure if I like the red cap on the button. If all goes well with the parts I have coming in right now, I should have the first few up by early January :D
If you're selling them, just remember I may be interested as a potential buyer.

Anyway, back to my own keyboard. I'm having trouble with the coding. I have no idea what program to use to change the coding in the Tech Keys Business card. I have the source files, but I have no idea how to change the code in the actual card itself. If anyone has an idea how to do this, please let me know. Thanks
Thnikk
I know I said january, but I'm very impatient. My first keypad is up on Etsy! https://www.etsy.com/listing/215242074/osu-keypad

This one was my second favourite (I'm keeping my #1 ;)) I have two more that I'll try to have up tomorrow, I'm too lazy to take any more nice pictures tonight.

InnocentEyes wrote:

Thnikk wrote:

Anyway, back to my own keyboard. I'm having trouble with the coding. I have no idea what program to use to change the coding in the Tech Keys Business card. I have the source files, but I have no idea how to change the code in the actual card itself. If anyone has an idea how to do this, please let me know. Thanks
I'm planning on making a batch of 10 so there will be plenty :)

I watched the video linked on the site and the guy said it uses an ATmega162U. It might be programmable with the arduino IDE but I don't really know enough about this to tell you one way or the other. I found this page which may be helpful to you, but that's a pretty overwhelming amount of jargon: http://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/newbie-start-here?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=70673
Sorun

InnocentEyes wrote:

Thnikk wrote:

Haha I thought you may run into a problem. Do you have skype or something?
Foxi

Sorun wrote:

Haha I thought you may run into a problem. Do you have skype or something?
Unfortunately my cousin came over and jacked my microphone the other day. He isn't allowed to come over anymore. That just means more waiting for me to replace my mic.

I do have a Skype, I'll send you a message on osu.
Foxi
I think it would be funny worth noting I actually screwed up my first attempt.
The middle key is broken, the right works some of the time, and the left is fine.
Thnikk
Foxi

Thnikk wrote:

Other two are up! https://www.etsy.com/listing/215249814/ ... e_active_1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/215252835/ ... e_active_2

Ooooh, I just might get this. 8-)

edit: Shoot, turns out I can't buy it right away. I bought the TechKeys Business Card again earlier today. I can probably get it in a week, though.
Thnikk
The first non-prototype has sold! The two prototypes are up and the price for the one with the escape button has dropped to $30.

I have the parts for the next batch on the way now and they should be up by the end of the month. I also got some smaller boxes for international shipping, so that will be $40 for anyone in the US and $45 internationally including shipping. Expect to see some options on the shop page for keycaps ;) I would also like to have a lower cost option without LEDs and escape key (still trying to settle on price.)
ZenithPhantasm
What is the polling rate of your homebrewed keyboards?
Deimos

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

hmm... oke... just one problem

how to measure the polling rate of a keyboard?
Foxi
This time I didn't burn my board, so it works just fine. I will need to know how to modify the coding though, so it's just a wait for Sorun to help.
byfar
2 keys for 25 dollars. Man I'd rather get me an 108key all purpose mech kb for 100
Thnikk

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I haven't noticed any issues with missing keystrokes or latency (and I run these at 16mhz instead of 8,) but this is something I should find out. I hope to have an answer for you within the next few days.

byfar wrote:

2 keys for 25 dollars. Man I'd rather get me an 108key all purpose mech kb for 100
Yeah but only $10 more for a third key. Excellent value!

I read this with a kappa at the end of it so I read it as a joke, but I'll try to provide some insight for anyone asking the same question.

-This isn't really something anyone needs to play osu, it's just a nice luxury hardware accessory to have.

-I have a mechanical keyboard, but to use it when playing osu means I have to reach past my tablet to play which is uncomfortable.

-I wouldn't necessarily say a mechanical keyboard is inherently better for playing the game when accounting for travel distance. Especially when playing a game like this, it's very difficult to not bottom out the keys with a linear keyswitch since there's no bump. If you have this in mind when shopping for a keyboard, you could get tactile switches, but even then it's still somewhat difficult to discern the actuation point in the heat of the game. I haven't included this in the product description (because I forgot) but I include two 2 mm o-rings (so 4 mm total) to lower the travel distance to just a little bit after the actuation point, which should make them a lot easier to hit in quick sequence.

-Reducing wear on your keyboard. It would suck to be typing and find out that your z or x keys stopped working.

-Portability if you move around a lot/have multiple computers.

-Customization without having to buy a whole set of keycaps.

If it seems cost prohibitive, keep in mind that I'm just making these for fun and not really making much of a profit. They do take time to make and I don't want to outsource to child labor :(
Gumica
I'd probably dive into such a project myself, but I fear that the raw materials and parts would cost way more to get them delivered to a third world country, than actually buying the keypad from one of you guys ~.~

When will you make 'em available for us, outside of US, Thnikk :> ?
Thnikk

Gumica wrote:

I'd probably dive into such a project myself, but I fear that the raw materials and parts would cost way more to get them delivered to a third world country, than actually buying the keypad from one of you guys ~.~

When will you make 'em available for us, outside of US, Thnikk :> ?
Not trying to pimp myself here, but even in the US the parts are pretty expensive if you're just buying for one. You really have to be into it for the fun of making it yourself.

I'm aiming for the first week of January (for reals this time, shipping is probably going to take a while considering the time of year.) I should get the shipping boxes before xmas so the two I have up now should be available internationally by the 26th.

Small update: I have some white blank DSA PBT keycaps on the way that will be a much cheaper (well, relative to the price of the keypad) option compared to the keypop ones. I'll also offer an option for none if you guys would like to use your own. I still absolutely love the designs of the keypop keycaps and how they look with the LEDs and I hope you guys do too. Pricing looks a lot better now for people who are looking for something less flashy :)
ZenithPhantasm
Would there be a premium "metal keycap" version?
Thnikk

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Would there be a premium "metal keycap" version?
I'd think about it if enough people showed enough interest in the first batch. I don't think they would be very practical to buy at low volume and I'll already have 30-50 extra blanks at the end of this one.
Foxi

Thnikk wrote:

I'd think about it if enough people showed enough interest in the first batch. I don't think they would be very practical to buy at low volume and I'll already have 30-50 extra blanks at the end of this one.
You're really putting bank into this.
xasuma
any other website to buy key caps other than techkeys and maxkeyboards ?
ZenithPhantasm

xasuma wrote:

http://wasdkeyboards.com
Thnikk

InnocentEyes wrote:

You're really putting bank into this.
Nah, it's not that much. I used to mod Game Boys and those were a lot more expensive to work with. I'll admit it does add up pretty quick when you buy batches of keycaps, though.

xasuma wrote:

I like http://www.keypop.net/ and http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products (I love double shot keycaps if you guys can't tell)

And then there's everything: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeybo ... capsellers
show more