forum

Streaming Osu! now days -> Muted audio

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Friigs
So by the looks of it Twitch added a thing which recognizes copyrighted audio. Therefore saving the gameplay of Osu! to your twitch account is pretty useless...
What do people think about this ? Personally don't like the idea twitch corrupting the Osu! streamers by making them delete their streams after... streaming or disabling the save stream thing, while there are not too many streamers to start with. (( But in the other hand i do understand that most of the beatmaps are copyrighted to their respective owners... )) For me this seems to hinder osu streamers quite a bit and also i'm worried about what is going to happen to the official Osu tournament streams

Question that i still have and have not found any information about is that, are we even allowed to stream Osu! ?... At our own risk or something ?
Gumpy
This is to be expected when using copyrighted content.
Purple
Really? That is kind of gay. Only thing that comes to mind is to use very loud hitsounds and use speakers while recording all audio with a microphone.

I'm honestly hoping some competent twitch and youtube competitors are born some day, it would make everything better.
Gumpy

Purple wrote:

Really? That is kind of gay. Only thing that comes to mind is to use very loud hitsounds and use speakers while recording all audio with a microphone.

I'm honestly hoping some competent twitch and youtube competitors are born some day, it would make everything better.
Why? it would only last for a year or so before it would have to do the same as youtube and twitch, the content creators have the right to remove copyrighted content owned by them.
chainpullz
You do realize the add revenue they get from osu! streamers is quite negligible right? If they lose osu! streamers entirely I don't think they would care in the slightest.
Topic Starter
Friigs

chainpullz wrote:

You do realize the add revenue they get from osu! streamers is quite negligible right? If they lose osu! streamers entirely I don't think they would care in the slightest.
But if Osu! streamers grew to big numbers... they would get some ? (( i'm not trying to argue here, i'm sorry if my posts give you that feel but i reallly am not ))
I had my plans on starting to stream osu weekly or so along with something else but being afraid of the copyright issues now days hindered me and i can almost feel the issues i'd have had, if i stream it in the fututre (( seeing how copyright is being an issue for gamers on youtube for example ))
Topic Starter
Friigs

Purple wrote:

Loud hitsounds and recording all audio with microphone crossed my mind along with lowering the game sound for the stream too... but that would kinda, destroy what osu! is about (( xD at least for me )). And also i can't play with low volume since my loud Blackwidow 2013 ultimate keyboard... getting distracted by the click sounds
Vuelo Eluko
Play DT/Nightcore only
like a good player would

stop playing crappy pop music/japanawese moeshit
like a good player would

you have options
Topic Starter
Friigs

Riince wrote:

Play DT/Nightcore only
like a good player would

like a good player would

you have options
Not everyone likes to play with those mods... Not everyone can play with those mods, and more over not everyone wants to play with those mods. Also it doesn't have anything to do with good player to play or play without those
buny

Riince wrote:

Play DT/Nightcore only
like a good player would

like a good player would

you have options
except playing english songs will still get it muted
Vuelo Eluko

buny wrote:

Riince wrote:

Play DT/Nightcore only
like a good player would

like a good player would

you have options
except playing english songs will still get it muted
only if its some corporate shill shit like owl city.
Topic Starter
Friigs
so you're giving me the feel like you're expecting us to play something like the tutorial beatmap for 4 hours in stream ?... I like to download beatmap packs i've not downloaded yet, play them through -> move forward on the list. also i don't want to play the songs on nightcore because i don't like how the songs sound as if a squirrel was singing and so on (( besides i suck at nightcore still / some beatmaps are way too fast for me to handle nightcore ))
Vuelo Eluko
Well, if you dont want to play around twitch's nazi copyright rules, stream somewhere else like dailymotion
Topic Starter
Friigs

Riince wrote:

Well, if you dont want to play around twitch's nazi copyright rules, stream somewhere else like dailymotion
Well now thats just funny
Bauxe
Twitch pretty much have to mute VODs, or they could be sued or whatever.

But apparently if you use a third-party website to download the VOD, the audio is still there. So they aren't being as bad as it seems.
Vuelo Eluko

Bauxe wrote:

Twitch pretty much have to mute VODs, or they could be sued or whatever.

But apparently if you use a third-party website to download the VOD, the audio is still there. So they aren't being as bad as it seems.
Oh that's dirty, that's like, "Peppy not taking down unranked IIDX map downloads just because the lawyer who sent the search result links didnt filter all" dirty.

so its just a farce by twitch to make copyright holders think they're doing something
that's awesome
-sev

Riince wrote:

stream somewhere else

life hacks

/thread
chainpullz
Their copyright detection audio muting only affects saved recordings, not your actual stream. If you really care about recordings just play with a mechanical keyboard and your mic turned up all the way and the copyright detection won't have a clue.
Topic Starter
Friigs

chainpullz wrote:

Their copyright detection audio muting only affects saved recordings, not your actual stream. If you really care about recordings just play with a mechanical keyboard and your mic turned up all the way and the copyright detection won't have a clue.
True... but isn't that breaking the copyright rules still, but just keeping it hidden ?
sasakura
twitch is not the only streaming site.. you can use hitbox, nicovideo etc
if they mute vods and you need those just move right?
B1rd
what if osu! implemented something that made every song a tiny bit higher or lower pitched? would that bypass copyright?
Bauxe
Why do any of you even need vods. The idea of livestreaming is the fact that it is live. If you want a certain part, just local record at the same time.
buny
a more important question is who actually watches vods that aren't tournament related?
Lala Astar
I think Twitch can't do such a thing because there are the "beat" sound of the game over the music which make hard to detect the audio layer and copyright it

I dunno, I never seen any osu YT video down because of copyright infringements
chainpullz

Lala Astar wrote:

I think Twitch can't do such a thing because there are the "beat" sound of the game over the music which make hard to detect the audio layer and copyright it

I dunno, I never seen any osu YT video down because of copyright infringements
I've had a number of videos I've tried to post that have had forced audio muted or blocked entirely. The only way to publish audio from those is to just mask it by turning your music volume down but keeping hitsounds maxed out so the music is partially masked.

friiggi wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

True... but isn't that breaking the copyright rules still, but just keeping it hidden ?
Twitch would literally go bankrupt if they enforced this for livestreams. Most popular streamers run music (copyrighted) in the background. Plus it's computationally infeasible for them to police this in realtime. They have no reason to save your broadcasts temporarily to check later either because that's just a huge waste of memory. They already have VoD's disabled by default for this very reason.
RaneFire
It's copyright, not listenright. Otherwise you can't listen to your friend's music playing at his house, or a person playing a song on through his vehicle's sound system... A person couldn't hand you one ear-piece from his walkman in class either. The same can be applied to a livestream. It's not saved anywhere until it is saved, until then, it is only listened (basically). Note that these are informal settings.

Sure, the idea is to stop re-distribution of music from a distributor (music store, etc.). The problem, however, is that copyright enforcement doesn't always have the jurisdiction to crack down on people in possession of copyrighted content (as is the case for livestreams, as mentioned above). So what they can do is stop the re-distribution of re-distributed music. They stop you from putting it in a place that other people can find it and become re-distributors themselves. They want to stop the spread and creation of new sources of copyright-infringed content, since that's all they can do.

I don't blame you if copyright is difficult to understand, because it's a bunch of fucking grey lines... the whole thing. If you take it down to the deepest legal meaning of copyright, they essentially own your private leisure time and sense of hearing. Online radio's purpose is to play music, and they pay for that right to do that. Livestreams break that rule and technically should be removed entirely... lol. You shouldn't even play music to the public, even if you possess the originals. That's another right entirely, which you have to pay for.
Topic Starter
Friigs

Bauxe wrote:

Why do any of you even need vods. The idea of livestreaming is the fact that it is live. If you want a certain part, just local record at the same time.
Followers who miss the stream itself and likes to watch them afterwards... (( this is more to those who are actually popular already ))

RaneFire wrote:

It's copyright, not listenright. Otherwise you can't listen to your friend's music playing at his house, or a person playing a song on through his vehicle's sound system... A person couldn't hand you one ear-piece from his walkman in class either. The same can be applied to a livestream. It's not saved anywhere until it is saved, until then, it is only listened (basically). Note that these are informal settings.

Sure, the idea is to stop re-distribution of music from a distributor (music store, etc.). The problem, however, is that copyright enforcement doesn't always have the jurisdiction to crack down on people in possession of copyrighted content (as is the case for livestreams, as mentioned above). So what they can do is stop the re-distribution of re-distributed music. They stop you from putting it in a place that other people can find it and become re-distributors themselves. They want to stop the spread and creation of new sources of copyright-infringed content, since that's all they can do.

I don't blame you if copyright is difficult to understand, because it's a bunch of fucking grey lines... the whole thing. If you take it down to the deepest legal meaning of copyright, they essentially own your private leisure time and sense of hearing. Online radio's purpose is to play music, and they pay for that right to do that. Livestreams break that rule and technically should be removed entirely... lol. You shouldn't even play music to the public, even if you possess the originals. That's another right entirely, which you have to pay for.
This enlighted myself pretty well, Thank you for your time to write all this down :)
Gumpy
What are people expecting just because it's part of the game does not mean it bypasses copyright in any way.
Topic Starter
Friigs

Gumpyyy wrote:

What are people expecting just because it's part of the game does not mean it bypasses copyright in any way.
No one directly said it would... besides if you didn't read the first post, i just wanted to hear peoples thoughts about it
RaneFire

Gumpyyy wrote:

Ikr.

ESA twitch VOD's were muted. Legitimate versions of the games were played, but the background music was licensed.

You, personally, can play the game and listen to the music, and so can other people watching you play the game. But the moment that gets saved to a VOD, it can be downloaded and the music exists as a copy, separate from the game (who cares if you're watching a recording of the game, it's not the game). That's the copyright infringement, the digital medium itself.

If you want to play music to the public, you have to pay royalties, a system for managing copyright content distribution. In the case of a game with licensed music, the royalties are paid to the respective copyright-holders by the game developer/publisher, and should only be bundled with a legitimate version of the game, not as a digital medium for free download (it's part of the game and should be bought with it).

In the case of osu!, you're fucked. osu! indemnifies itself against uploads, and instead refers the target offender as the uploader (German mappers anyone?). You then download it (again, your fault), and now you're streaming copyrighted music, to be copied by people downloading subsequent VOD's, bypassing copyright and royalty (their fault and your fault).

You need to start running... I hear bullets.

I joke. As I said previously, they have the power, but don't have the ability to crack down on all of this stuff, since it takes resources (money). And even when they do, 90% of the time they don't even get their money, because they target poor people who don't have any, like you guys... considering the stupid amounts they ask for per offense. DMCA takedowns are all they can do effectively.

But this is just to give you an idea of how serious this actually is. People shrug it off these days and think it's not all that bad, saying "you're giving these guys extra coverage to people who would never know about or pay for this stuff." But really... it is that bad. They just choose not to come after you... Game of Thrones, for example.
buny
nice try corporate but you won't fool me into paying you royalties
Gumpy

friiggi wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

No one directly said it would... besides if you didn't read the first post, i just wanted to hear peoples thoughts about it
I read all the posts, posted what I think of it and posted my opinion on it on the first page.
chainpullz
It mostly boils down to

A) Twitch is the the ones muting your audio and they make loads of money from people who play illegally redistributed audio so they will only comply to the point where they start losing noticeable ad revenue (most of this comes from the stream itself and not the VoD).

B) Signal matching is an extremely expensive (in the computational sense) algorithm that only works as fast as it does due to some clever optimizations that require you save the entire audio file. This comes at yet another computational expense: memory. While twitch could save your entire stream temporarily as a VoD and process it at the end of your stream and then file fines, the memory cost of doing so is quite expensive and they haven't invested in enough infrastructure to do this currently (if everyone tried to save all their streams as VoDs twitch would run out of memory is a hurry).

Thus it is possible for Twitch to audio match live streams, they just have 0 incentive to do so until artists make a huge deal about it and threaten large lawsuits (which there probably aren't even enough grounds for as someone has previously mentioned).

TL;DR The NSA is not spying on you. They do not have the resources to single out every person in the US and analyze their every web footprint. The same applies to Twitch on a smaller scale.