Can someone be my osu coach?

posted
Total Posts
92
show more
Dexus
Get lots of songs and delete every difficulty except the hardest (and maybe the second hardest so you can use mods on them) in every song you download, so get rid of every easy, normal, or sub 4 star map. The reason for this is usually people tend to put more effort in the hardest difficulty when mapping, there are some songs out there where their hardest difficulties are pretty good for beginner players.

Next Sort them in any fashion you feel comfortable with developing: bpm, length, star rating, etc. Practice them in various orders and try to pass with A/S rank on every one of them. If you get a C play something slightly easier, if you get a B retry until you get an A or S. Getting D ranks are a clear indicator the map is way out of your league. After a while go back and try to beat your scores with higher accuracy or with mods retaining the same accuracy or higher in fewer plays, doing so will develop consistency. If you have a 98 to 99% on a map don't settle for <96% mod play unless it's obviously reaaaally hard/rewarding rank wise. Keep at it until you can get at the very least a 97% and just come back to it later.

Aim usually requires a comfortable consistently playable setup so you can develop muscle memory quickly. With mice you disable any acceleration or angle snapping. On tablets map it to a size that is simple for you to reach all four corners without straining yourself (keep in mind if you're playing on a 16:9 or 16:10 the playfield is actually 4:3 so you have room to map it larger, if you don't understand what I'm saying about this then I can clarify it in another post). Aside from the setup it just takes practicing a variety of maps with lots of different patterns. Mostly you want to focus on each note and try to stop at the very center of it as quickly as you can.

Just don't get stuck on focusing aim training like a lot of beginner players tend to do, stream training is just as important. For this it requires you to play to a tempo, usually streams are mapped as 1/4th of the bpm. This requires you to hit 1/2 notes with each finger in succession. You can train your fingers individually by playing maps with lots of half notes. When getting to actually hit streams you want to listen to the sounds in the music, I like to focus on one finger to make sure that I hit the half notes in the streams just right and then I follow through with my other finger. Streams tend to be the hardest thing about osu! in my opinion because there are such physical limitations as well.

So going back to my first paragraph, play 160bpm maps or 4 star maps, whatever you feel comfortable with and go up from there. If you fall back on easy maps and play them all the time you really wont get any where with this game.
Rewben2

Dexus wrote:

Get lots of songs and delete every difficulty except the hardest (and maybe the second hardest so you can use mods on them) in every song you download
Not really necessary, you can just search for specific limits like "stars>4"
Dexus
I'm aware of the search function, but If you delete them then you're less likely to play them. Players tend to cave in and move to something way easier. I'm speaking from experience because I've been playing stuff way under what I should be playing for the past 3 or so years.
buny

Dexus wrote:

I'm aware of the search function, but If you delete them then you're less likely to play them. Players tend to cave in and move to something way easier. I'm speaking from experience because I've been playing stuff way under what I should be playing for the past 3 or so years.
rule of thumb is to dt whatever you can fc

FlyingKebab wrote:

buny wrote:

In nearly every case, if you need to turn on no-fail then the map is too hard for you and you shouldn't even attempt it yet.
I couldn't play anything 3.5< stars then I NF'ed 4.5-4.8 for 1 week and i could with bad acc survive most 4.0 - 4.3 maps, now if i try hard enough i get 95%+ acc (without training for it) on those maps. Now I am NF'ing 4.9-5.6 stars so I would be able to do 4.5-5.0 without failing and in my personal case I will stop once I can not die till 5.5 to start perfecting my plays. I am rushing aim and reading in exchange for my accuracy and other stability things. BUT I will work on those once I can pass the limit I am aiming for.

EDIT: I am more satisfied in passing a hard map than passing an easier map with good acc.

Anyways there is not point in discussing this any further tbh. It's the same thing over and over again.
whatever you did in a week like that you could have done better with proper training.

also, my post applies to a situation with harder maps, in the 6-7 stars since this is an out of the ordinary skill group and requires a lot more dedication. Jumping from 5 star to 6 star is a huge leap and people believe that they can only get there by mindlessly mashing and swinging their pen/mouse, when in reality it is a lot easier to gradually work your way up.
Litenang

buny wrote:

also, my post applies to a situation with harder maps, in the 6-7 stars since this is an out of the ordinary skill group and requires a lot more dedication. Jumping from 5 star to 6 star is a huge leap and people believe that they can only get there by mindlessly mashing and swinging their pen/mouse, when in reality it is a lot easier to gradually work your way up.
Sometimes I feel like I'm mindlessly moving my mouse, but I kinda have a muscle memory for where things are and how much I have to move my mouse to get to it. If I consciously think of it though, I immediately start to fail.
nrl

Rewben2 wrote:

Uhh, yes it is. I've read multiple times people can't even tell the difference when aero is off/on. It's definitely not more than a minor improvement.
I recall a post from Dexus that placed Aero lag in the neighborhood of 10ms, which is not at all minor. Most people forget that Aero has no effect on fullscreen applications.
Rewben2

Narrill wrote:

Rewben2 wrote:

Uhh, yes it is. I've read multiple times people can't even tell the difference when aero is off/on. It's definitely not more than a minor improvement.
I recall a post from Dexus that placed Aero lag in the neighborhood of 10ms, which is not at all minor. Most people forget that Aero has no effect on fullscreen applications.
10ms is still 0.01 of a second, not a huge amount. You'd just adapt to playing with/without aero enabled if you had no idea. If you consider that not minor at all then alright, but people can't really tell the difference between the two. I don't think calling a factor where the difference between the two is seemingly not noticeable as a "bigger than minor problem".

I'd be surprised if anyone would actually be able to achieve better scores by disabling aero, although it's extremely hard to prove whether this is possible because if you turned aero off and then set a score it doesn't necessarily mean it had anything to do with aero.
Litenang

Rewben2 wrote:

10ms is still 0.01 of a second, not a huge amount. You'd just adapt to playing with/without aero enabled if you had no idea. If you consider that not minor at all then alright, but people can't really tell the difference between the two. I don't think calling a factor where the difference between the two is seemingly not noticeable as a "bigger than minor problem". I'd be surprised if anyone would actually be able to achieve better scores by disabling aero.
there's other factors as well. You have input lag and then response time (total delay can be between 20ms and 100ms). That being said, aero won't do anything unless your computer is outdated by at least 5 years, in which case you shouldn't be running a modern OS anyways.
nrl
10ms is noticeable at a high level of play. I get that most people wouldn't notice a difference, but most people can barely play 5* maps.
Miku Maekawa

Narrill wrote:

most people can barely play 5* maps.
i consider myself only a little above average at this game but jesus christ its frustrating when the last 10 people you meet irl who say they play osu can only pass 2-3 star maps with shit accuracy
Litenang

Apink Chorong wrote:

Narrill wrote:

most people can barely play 5* maps.
i consider myself only a little above average at this game but jesus christ its frustrating when the last 10 people you meet irl who say they play osu can only pass 2-3 star maps with shit accuracy
I know the feel. I still feel like I'm shit at this game, and people just bring a new type of "bad" to the table. I think it's easy to get to the 3+ star maps within a few months. Tbh though, I still have shit accuracy. I regularly get 90-95% acc on most maps (4.3-4.8 star since that's usually what I play).
Vuelo Eluko
pretty sure most people can play 5 star maps, since i can and im pretty below average and overranked.
i mean damn, i have a friend who could do gigantic o.t.n [s.s] after 5k plays on his second month playing with decent 90% acc
nrl
There're hundreds of thousands of active accounts. Overranked or not, 9k isn't average.
Vuelo Eluko

Narrill wrote:

There're hundreds of thousands of active accounts. Overranked or not, 9k isn't average.
rank is fairly far removed from skill though, other than consistency
FlyingKebab

Riince wrote:

pretty sure most people can play 5 star maps, since i can and im pretty below average and overranked.
i mean damn, i have a friend who could do gigantic o.t.n [s.s] after 5k plays on his second month playing with decent 90% acc
That's some talent there. I can only do like 75% :< and I die horribly.
nrl
That depends entirely on what you consider "skill" to mean. I personally think pp is accurate to a very high degree, the only major flaws being disregard for map complexity and the inherent lag between a player's skill and their rank. It's rare for a substantially underranked player to not rapidly gain ranks until they aren't so severely underranked.
Lolzy
The secret to pass 5* songs is to sing like a tard while playing i got all my top scores while singing
trust me
nrl
I actually do that sometimes. Though it isn't really singing, more like humming the melody to the rhythm of the map.
Miku Maekawa
i sometimes find myself stomping my feet like a madman while i play a map
Vuelo Eluko

Apink Chorong wrote:

i sometimes find myself stomping my feet like a madman while i play a map
i find that doing this kills my jumps
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply