forum

Can someone be my osu coach?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Athrun
Always challenge yourself every day. That's what I do. Or do you want me to come and play some multi with you?
Rewben2

cheezstik wrote:

Well, I didn't even know you could use the keyboard to play osu, and didn't know about tablets, so there are still some things that reading / asking on the forums will help.
I guess that's true, there are a few "advantageous" things you can learn like disabling aero, finding out about skins etc. but it still comes down to playing more, there's no tricks to it
cheezstik

Rewben2 wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

Well, I didn't even know you could use the keyboard to play osu, and didn't know about tablets, so there are still some things that reading / asking on the forums will help.
I guess that's true, there are a few "advantageous" things you can learn like disabling aero, finding out about skins etc. but it still comes down to playing more, there's no tricks to it
Yeah of course. Hate to admit it as well, but doing all this dirty DT farming which I found out about on the forums / reddit has indirectly improved me as well, I can't say my snapping and single tap speed haven't gotten better since I picked up DT, even though I initially started doing it for the easy pp.
B1rd

Rewben2 wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

the things that you can learn from the forums aren't just tricks, it's major stuff that can really help you out, and isn't otherwise intuitive.
Rewben2

B1rd wrote:

the things that you can learn from the forums aren't just tricks, it's major stuff that can really help you out, and isn't otherwise intuitive.
Most of it is intuitive though. All of the top players got there through playing the game a lot. I can safely say that some of the best didn't read up on the game much at all. You aren't going to read something that will magically improve your gameplay by a large amount, things like disabling aero and for some using a skin are slight advantages.
B1rd
disabling aero isn't minor. And getting a tablet and mech keyboard definitely isn't. Other stuff for example- don't NF spam maps and learn streams by practicing low bpm.
cheezstik

B1rd wrote:

disabling aero isn't minor. And getting a tablet and mech keyboard definitely isn't. Other stuff for example- don't NF spam maps and learn streams by practicing low bpm.
Does aero really make that much difference? How are people affording these $200 mechanical keyboards + tablets if their computer can't even run osu >_>.
Rewben2

B1rd wrote:

Uhh, yes it is. I've read multiple times people can't even tell the difference when aero is off/on. It's definitely not more than a minor improvement.

Getting a tablet/mech keyboard is preference and not even osu! related. They are peripherals... That's like saying upgrading your computer is an advantage, it's not really fair to say that. I guess tablet is something valid because some people don't know of their existence, same kind of goes to mechs too. But still.

The way of practising is meh... Anyone can really figure that out on their own, but I guess if you need to be told "practice what you want to improve at" then sure you can consider that something learned from foruming.
FlyingKebab
I's like to add that every method wil work differently for each person. For example NF might not work for a majority but it works for some people. It's kind of a 50/50 thing. However gradual improvement works for the majority of people so it is accepted to be an undeniably working method.
Woobowiz

FlyingKebab wrote:

I's like to add that every method wil work differently for each person. For example NF might not work for a majority but it works for some people. It's kind of a 50/50 thing. However gradual improvement works for the majority of people so it is accepted to be an undeniably working method.
I would hardly consider it improving if it's not an FC with at least 97 or 98% acc. Hell, even 96% acc means I mashed on at least one part of the song.
FlyingKebab

Woobowiz wrote:

FlyingKebab wrote:

I would hardly consider it improving if it's not an FC with at least 97 or 98% acc. Hell, even 96% acc means I mashed on at least one part of the song.
No Failing is trying to obtain better reading and or motor skills faster than playing easier songs. No Fails goal is general skill and not accuracy directly, however if you go back to the maps you couldn't get more then lets say 90% because of difficulty then you will have an easier time reading the map because it will pale in difficulty in comparison to what had been playing for lets say a few weeks. And then as I mentioned, you will be able to hit the notes but you will need to fine tune your newly obtained aim so you actually hit them to the beat and etc. BUT you will still be hitting the things you couldn't hit. Practicing getting better accuracy on a song you know you can survive and hit all the notes albeit not perfectly is easier than practicing accuracy AND aim on a map you can't fully complete without too much stress and the likes.

And this comes down to personal preference, either you try to play stuff slowly and not lose your fine 97%+ acc, or you ramp up the challenge and go for a faster and different approach of getting better at just completing maps without the goal of perfection at that time. Then you stop at the point you want to lets say 5 star since you survive all of them. And then you start fine-tuning all the other things like accuracy or other problems like stream stability you might have at that time.
buny
In nearly every case, if you need to turn on no-fail then the map is too hard for you and you shouldn't even attempt it yet.
FlyingKebab

buny wrote:

In nearly every case, if you need to turn on no-fail then the map is too hard for you and you shouldn't even attempt it yet.
I couldn't play anything 3.5< stars then I NF'ed 4.5-4.8 for 1 week and i could with bad acc survive most 4.0 - 4.3 maps, now if i try hard enough i get 95%+ acc (without training for it) on those maps. Now I am NF'ing 4.9-5.6 stars so I would be able to do 4.5-5.0 without failing and in my personal case I will stop once I can not die till 5.5 to start perfecting my plays. I am rushing aim and reading in exchange for my accuracy and other stability things. BUT I will work on those once I can pass the limit I am aiming for.

EDIT: I am more satisfied in passing a hard map than passing an easier map with good acc.

Anyways there is not point in discussing this any further tbh. It's the same thing over and over again.
Woobowiz

FlyingKebab wrote:

I couldn't play anything 3.5< stars then I NF'ed 4.5-4.8 for 1 week and i could with bad acc survive most 4.0 - 4.3 maps, now if i try hard enough i get 95%+ acc (without training for it) on those maps. Now I am NF'ing 4.9-5.6 stars so I would be able to do 4.5-5.0 without failing and in my personal case I will stop once I can not die till 5.5 to start perfecting my plays. I am rushing aim and reading in exchange for my accuracy and other stability things. BUT I will work on those once I can pass the limit I am aiming for.

EDIT: I am more satisfied in passing a hard map than passing an easier map with good acc.
It will stop working in time. And even if you've noticed improvement of that sort, it's (subjectively) a vastly inferior training method that can get you into horribly bad habits. Which include Lazy Cursor and a Twitchy and Glitchy Cursor movement, over time it'll just fuck up your aim rather than improve it. I can imagine your cursor movements are already glitchy
FlyingKebab
What do you mean by glitchy? I move my cursor in straight one line movements.
MiloSx7
I have a bunch of friends i invited to osu! and they always complain: Dude i can't pass this its way too hard. I gave them all a map that is very hard for them (like eighto is for me) and told them to do their best. They didn't even try, as far as i can see they were just moving their mouse in random directions and mashing keyboard and quit the song like 20 seconds after playing it crying: it's way to hard.
Now i don't want to say that i don't do that too. But I always play till the end, no matter if i can't hit one single circle i always try to move my cursor to it even tho I'm very late, and sometimes i don't even do it if I dont see the circle.
The point is: If you play hard maps to laugh your ass out because its incredibly hard for you to even see (don't want to mention reacting and actually hitting) then you are wasting your time. Otherwise it is very good way to improve. It helped me, at least, although I'm not in a hurry. I will climb slowly, but surely c:
Litenang
I'll offer something new. I originally was stuck at 40k ranking, and then I decided to try HD. Now I only play with hidden. At the time, I got worse for only a single day, and the day after, I improved a lot.

Then I got stuck at ~22k. I was here for a while, then I finally decided it was time to step down. I had originally been playing at 8200 dpi, and this was a huge step for me. I moved to 6400 dpi, and felt awkward playing most of the time. However, it took about a week to get used to, and I improved steadily after that. About a month ago, I felt blocked at ~15k, and I finally decided to step down another notch. I still use my mouse at 6400 dpi while doing work, web browsing, and playing other games, but I play osu! at 4800 dpi.

All the while, I was always challenging myself. I'd play maps that I know I can pass, but usually in the B/C range, and would fail if I messed up somewhere. I practice a lot, but almost never with NF. NF means that it's probably out of my skill range, and I'd find something slightly easier. On a good day, where I feel that my jumps are accurate and my streams are consistent, I have a folder of "FC" and "To Beat" maps that I've played before and felt like I could FC/beat, and I'd give a couple of those a shot. Something I find useful is to play random maps (F2). This avoids constantly playing the same map, and keeps you on your toes while playing. You can't just build muscle memory for a single beatmap. You want to improve overall.

I guess as a final note: Don't grind. It puts your ranking way above your skill level. A good estimate is to not play the same map more than 2-3 times in a row, and personally, I've never played a specific beatmap more than 100 times.
FlyingKebab

Lightningtwilly wrote:

I guess as a final note: Don't grind. It puts your ranking way above your skill level. A good estimate is to not play the same map more than 2-3 times in a row, and personally, I've never played a specific beatmap more than 100 times.
I know right, I can't imagine how people retry a map more than 3 times unless they get like ONE miss.
Dexus
Get lots of songs and delete every difficulty except the hardest (and maybe the second hardest so you can use mods on them) in every song you download, so get rid of every easy, normal, or sub 4 star map. The reason for this is usually people tend to put more effort in the hardest difficulty when mapping, there are some songs out there where their hardest difficulties are pretty good for beginner players.

Next Sort them in any fashion you feel comfortable with developing: bpm, length, star rating, etc. Practice them in various orders and try to pass with A/S rank on every one of them. If you get a C play something slightly easier, if you get a B retry until you get an A or S. Getting D ranks are a clear indicator the map is way out of your league. After a while go back and try to beat your scores with higher accuracy or with mods retaining the same accuracy or higher in fewer plays, doing so will develop consistency. If you have a 98 to 99% on a map don't settle for <96% mod play unless it's obviously reaaaally hard/rewarding rank wise. Keep at it until you can get at the very least a 97% and just come back to it later.

Aim usually requires a comfortable consistently playable setup so you can develop muscle memory quickly. With mice you disable any acceleration or angle snapping. On tablets map it to a size that is simple for you to reach all four corners without straining yourself (keep in mind if you're playing on a 16:9 or 16:10 the playfield is actually 4:3 so you have room to map it larger, if you don't understand what I'm saying about this then I can clarify it in another post). Aside from the setup it just takes practicing a variety of maps with lots of different patterns. Mostly you want to focus on each note and try to stop at the very center of it as quickly as you can.

Just don't get stuck on focusing aim training like a lot of beginner players tend to do, stream training is just as important. For this it requires you to play to a tempo, usually streams are mapped as 1/4th of the bpm. This requires you to hit 1/2 notes with each finger in succession. You can train your fingers individually by playing maps with lots of half notes. When getting to actually hit streams you want to listen to the sounds in the music, I like to focus on one finger to make sure that I hit the half notes in the streams just right and then I follow through with my other finger. Streams tend to be the hardest thing about osu! in my opinion because there are such physical limitations as well.

So going back to my first paragraph, play 160bpm maps or 4 star maps, whatever you feel comfortable with and go up from there. If you fall back on easy maps and play them all the time you really wont get any where with this game.
Rewben2

Dexus wrote:

Get lots of songs and delete every difficulty except the hardest (and maybe the second hardest so you can use mods on them) in every song you download
Not really necessary, you can just search for specific limits like "stars>4"
Dexus
I'm aware of the search function, but If you delete them then you're less likely to play them. Players tend to cave in and move to something way easier. I'm speaking from experience because I've been playing stuff way under what I should be playing for the past 3 or so years.
buny

Dexus wrote:

I'm aware of the search function, but If you delete them then you're less likely to play them. Players tend to cave in and move to something way easier. I'm speaking from experience because I've been playing stuff way under what I should be playing for the past 3 or so years.
rule of thumb is to dt whatever you can fc

FlyingKebab wrote:

buny wrote:

Anyways there is not point in discussing this any further tbh. It's the same thing over and over again.
whatever you did in a week like that you could have done better with proper training.

also, my post applies to a situation with harder maps, in the 6-7 stars since this is an out of the ordinary skill group and requires a lot more dedication. Jumping from 5 star to 6 star is a huge leap and people believe that they can only get there by mindlessly mashing and swinging their pen/mouse, when in reality it is a lot easier to gradually work your way up.
Litenang

buny wrote:

also, my post applies to a situation with harder maps, in the 6-7 stars since this is an out of the ordinary skill group and requires a lot more dedication. Jumping from 5 star to 6 star is a huge leap and people believe that they can only get there by mindlessly mashing and swinging their pen/mouse, when in reality it is a lot easier to gradually work your way up.
Sometimes I feel like I'm mindlessly moving my mouse, but I kinda have a muscle memory for where things are and how much I have to move my mouse to get to it. If I consciously think of it though, I immediately start to fail.
nrl

Rewben2 wrote:

Uhh, yes it is. I've read multiple times people can't even tell the difference when aero is off/on. It's definitely not more than a minor improvement.
I recall a post from Dexus that placed Aero lag in the neighborhood of 10ms, which is not at all minor. Most people forget that Aero has no effect on fullscreen applications.
Rewben2

Narrill wrote:

Rewben2 wrote:

I recall a post from Dexus that placed Aero lag in the neighborhood of 10ms, which is not at all minor. Most people forget that Aero has no effect on fullscreen applications.
10ms is still 0.01 of a second, not a huge amount. You'd just adapt to playing with/without aero enabled if you had no idea. If you consider that not minor at all then alright, but people can't really tell the difference between the two. I don't think calling a factor where the difference between the two is seemingly not noticeable as a "bigger than minor problem".

I'd be surprised if anyone would actually be able to achieve better scores by disabling aero, although it's extremely hard to prove whether this is possible because if you turned aero off and then set a score it doesn't necessarily mean it had anything to do with aero.
Litenang

Rewben2 wrote:

10ms is still 0.01 of a second, not a huge amount. You'd just adapt to playing with/without aero enabled if you had no idea. If you consider that not minor at all then alright, but people can't really tell the difference between the two. I don't think calling a factor where the difference between the two is seemingly not noticeable as a "bigger than minor problem". I'd be surprised if anyone would actually be able to achieve better scores by disabling aero.
there's other factors as well. You have input lag and then response time (total delay can be between 20ms and 100ms). That being said, aero won't do anything unless your computer is outdated by at least 5 years, in which case you shouldn't be running a modern OS anyways.
nrl
10ms is noticeable at a high level of play. I get that most people wouldn't notice a difference, but most people can barely play 5* maps.
Miku Maekawa

Narrill wrote:

most people can barely play 5* maps.
i consider myself only a little above average at this game but jesus christ its frustrating when the last 10 people you meet irl who say they play osu can only pass 2-3 star maps with shit accuracy
Litenang

Apink Chorong wrote:

Narrill wrote:

most people can barely play 5* maps.
i consider myself only a little above average at this game but jesus christ its frustrating when the last 10 people you meet irl who say they play osu can only pass 2-3 star maps with shit accuracy
I know the feel. I still feel like I'm shit at this game, and people just bring a new type of "bad" to the table. I think it's easy to get to the 3+ star maps within a few months. Tbh though, I still have shit accuracy. I regularly get 90-95% acc on most maps (4.3-4.8 star since that's usually what I play).
Vuelo Eluko
pretty sure most people can play 5 star maps, since i can and im pretty below average and overranked.
i mean damn, i have a friend who could do gigantic o.t.n [s.s] after 5k plays on his second month playing with decent 90% acc
nrl
There're hundreds of thousands of active accounts. Overranked or not, 9k isn't average.
Vuelo Eluko

Narrill wrote:

There're hundreds of thousands of active accounts. Overranked or not, 9k isn't average.
rank is fairly far removed from skill though, other than consistency
FlyingKebab

Riince wrote:

pretty sure most people can play 5 star maps, since i can and im pretty below average and overranked.
i mean damn, i have a friend who could do gigantic o.t.n [s.s] after 5k plays on his second month playing with decent 90% acc
That's some talent there. I can only do like 75% :< and I die horribly.
nrl
That depends entirely on what you consider "skill" to mean. I personally think pp is accurate to a very high degree, the only major flaws being disregard for map complexity and the inherent lag between a player's skill and their rank. It's rare for a substantially underranked player to not rapidly gain ranks until they aren't so severely underranked.
Lolzy
The secret to pass 5* songs is to sing like a tard while playing i got all my top scores while singing
trust me
nrl
I actually do that sometimes. Though it isn't really singing, more like humming the melody to the rhythm of the map.
Miku Maekawa
i sometimes find myself stomping my feet like a madman while i play a map
Vuelo Eluko

Apink Chorong wrote:

i sometimes find myself stomping my feet like a madman while i play a map
i find that doing this kills my jumps
Midnight Rain
Honestly comparing players to noobs who just mash buttons and are good at jumps with tablet and fast manouvers ,etc. to people that already got brutal timing in clicking hand achieved through grinding some instrument at perfect timing is rather extremely discriminant and abusive and leads only to ignorance and destruction.
drum drum
Please don't necropost