forum

2014 Fall Season

posted
Total Posts
show more
piruchan
Magic Kaito 1412 - It's faithful to the manga, even the art is similar. And it's going to be good if it stays faithful.

Daithosokan no Hitsujikai - The first episode is standard without giving away much plot. It's interesting, but not special enough. Bad second episode is enough reason for me to drop it.

Shirobako - It's an anime about the anime industry. Might be useful to give an insight of what really happens during the production process and stop people from judging series blindly and without respect to the makers :P . Have to watch some more episode before deciding.

Amagi Brilliant Park - It's brilliant. I haven't watch the second episode yet, but from a look I think it's safe to call it similar to Alice in Wonderland. The different is the "Alice" is a guy who takes everything the world thrown at him straight in the face.

Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de - It's about chuunibyou. With real powers. Can be really good or really bad. Have to watch some more episodes to decide.
washedupplayer
Amagi Brilliant Park - I liked the first 2 episodes, the setting is kind of unique, the art style is amazing, and the characters are great so far.

Fate/stay night: UBW - What can I say that hasn't been said before. It's UFOTABLE, it's the Fate series, and it's gonna be awesome. That's all, just watch it.

Grisaia no Kajitsu - As a person who loved the VN I'm really hyped to see this being animated, and even if it turns out to be a shitty adaptation I'll finish it. That being said, the first episode would've been pretty good if not for the unnecesarry pantyshots.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle - Same as season one, if you liked that you'll like this as well.

Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de - Not bad, but nothing special. They have ridiculously overpowered powers, but no enemy to fight, just the everyday life. I can see this having some pretty funny moments, but I don't expect too much from this show.

Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu - However I do expect a lot from this. The first episode was really good, I enjoyed it a lot. The opening was done by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, so that's a +1, the animation is gorgeous, and it's finally a horror show that might actually turn out to be amazing. I just hope it won't turn out to be a generic "shounen fighting" anime by the end.

Log Horizon 2nd Season - 2 episodes in, and we're just about to see a raid already...sign me up for this. Again, if you liked the 1st season you'll most likely like this one as well. It just needs more Akatsuki.

Psycho-Pass 2 - I think the first episode was medicore at it's best, BUT! Urobuchi left us with a universe so interesting, that even if this turns out to be shit I'll probably love it.

Selector Spread WIXOSS - BATTORU~~~~ I didn't think an anime adaptation of a card game could be this good, but the first season was amazing. I recommend this to anyone who didn't watch it, just give it a shot (also if you liked Madoka you'll probably like this one as well).

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - It's been a while since I've seen a good drama. Judging from what I heard about this, and the opening, this might just be one. I really enjoyed the first episode, it gave me a bit of Sakamichi no Apollon vibes - maybe because of the music, maybe because of the art style. Also, this show has hands down the best opening this season (map when?).

Shirobako - I really liked the first episode, it made me laugh several times. Looks like this will be one of the better comedies this season.

Sora no Method - Okay, here we go. I've been captured by this show from the moment I've seen the PV and read the description, and the first episode didn't let me down at all. The art style is gorgeous, the animation is solid, and the characters - at least the 2 that we got introduced to - are completly lovable (Noel best loli this season). The opening was gorgeous, those colorful light balls looked amazing as they bursted. Story wise, I think this could turn out to be one of the best shows this season, and the fact that the person who writes the script is the same who wrote it for Kanon(2006) is just a treat. Also it's done by a new studio (3Hz), and I'm really curious about what can they do with their first show. Plus it's an original story, wich is always a +1 for me. So yeah, I'm really hyped for this.
blissfulyoshi
World Trigger: Bad/Horrible animation + terrible jokes + boring characters = not watching (How are you supposed to stay awake while watching this?)

Madan no Ou to Vanadis Changing to green, 2nd episode's capturing of Titta had some amazing animation. I definitely want to see what they can do with the series.

Sora no method: More of a typical coming home to fulfill childhood dreams story with some super natural element coming. So far I feel I can relate with the characters a bit, so I want to stick around for a bit and see what this show is actually about.
DakeDekaane
Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete: Animation is kinda choppy and sometimes weird, I kinda guess what is the plot about, but considering this is a VN adaptation eh, idk what to think, may watch a second episode to decide to drop it or not.

Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji: I need some comedy for this season and this is the one made for me, I always find a bit gross the SM couples, but heh, I've always laughed when there's a comedy about it.

Akatsuki no Yona: Story seems interesting enough to keep it watching, although MC girl isn't really impressive for me, the initial spoiler made me not to drop it, yet.

Shirobako: Animation looks fine, premise is good, but somehow the execution isn't that good to make it interesting to keep it watching, anime itself isn't bad tho.

Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de: I still have troubles to decide to either watch it or drop it. The powers having no apparent reason is something I can't really understand, but it feels like it's something hidden, and animation looks fine, so I may give it a second chance.

Kill la Kill Special: This was pleasant to watch, I always wondered what happened to this girl after the main story, and this works great for it, although we have this deus ex machina elements, heh, it wouldn't be that Kill la Kill without them.
blissfulyoshi
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso: Yay springtime of youth! Animation for the series is impressive as expected of A-1, and typical asian parent forcing the learning of piano is something I have seen many times. Oh well, I just feel everyone except the mc is shining so brightly that the drama in this series isn't really going to be relatable. That and the humor was only okay for now. Will see what happens later

Gundam Build Fighters Try: I decided to give all s2 shows a try, starting with this one. I seriously wondered why I bothered. They sticked with all of their 90s style action scenes which look terrible, and the logic of the male mc is about as cheesy as it gets. I really need to find something to fix my mood now (The only I liked in the ep was the ost).

Log Horizon 2: Explanations seem more interesting than what I saw in first season, and the politics seem sort of interesting, so I'll stick around.

Psycho Pass 2: Seems like not much has changed from first season. For some reason, in this super technological society, where everything is supposedly under computer watch, we have no way to stop a car... absolutely amazing. Besides that, mediocre fighting animation and mc sounding like a more boring version of Inaho from Aldnoah Zero make this a easy drop for me.
neonat
Gugure! Kokkuri-san: Eh, I Guess I'm just fine with this. Won't just stop this yet
YTYuyu
Grisaia no Kajitsu: the artstyle of the characters could be better IMO. i feel that more detail should be put into the character design, as for the anime itself--neutral. i played the VN of Kajitsu and i was expecting similarities. yes there are similarities in the CG's and anime, but not enough to my needs. gonna stick around to see how this will pan out, and after seeing that ending in episode 1,it's likely that they're gonna go with Amane's route if anyone has played the VN.

might check out more once i have the motivation...
Navizel
Girlfriend Beta - Too boring. Even HaNaYaMaTa is better than this one.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle - Just because it's Chaika. Pretty much just like the season one.

Dropped Denki-gai no Honya -san because I fell asleep.

Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de - Oh hey it's D-Frag! Not a bad anime but not a good one either. Decent enough to keep me watching it though.

edit: more impressions...

Madan no Ou to Vanadis - For an ecchi anime, this one is actually a good one. Adorable characters and the MC not being the overreacting protagonist is a plus.

Psycho-Pass 2 - Give us Shinya Kogami back. Just like your usual Psycho-Pass, making me fall asleep at the very first episode. I just hope it will be better as time goes by just like the first season.
Kyonko Hizara
Psycho-Pass 2: It has potential, but the first episode was pretty meh.
blissfulyoshi
Amagi Brilliant Park: I really enjoyed the quirky cast, but I feel like it might get reetitive very fast, so will just give it some more time.

Donten ni Warau: All of these horrible action scenes and lackluster comedy. Tie it off with nonsensical logic like the enemy is supposed to be tied up, but somehow is running around free like he was never tied up in the first place.

Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: An adaptation for one of the highest reviewed VNs of 2013, and the adaptation was quite fun. I never read the original but I love the jokes and characters so far. The overall plot doesn't sound that strong, but we'll see.

Sora no Method: Change to Green, I really like the pacing with its good mix of lighthearted drama and comedy.

Girlfriend Beta: Not sure if this 1st episode is a good judge of the series. It was some ridiculous character introduction trying to introduce a small part of its ridiculously sized cast. Oh well, I liked Lemaire's talking, but I admit a lot of the show was quite boring. I'll give it a 2nd shot though

Kaitou Joker: Not a fan of a show probably meant for kids.

Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji: I am not sure I can stand such an annoying female mc. She is probably more annoying than Cross Ange's because she talks so much. Adding on some more unlikable characters and not funny jokes, does not make this show any more bearable.

Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road: Not fully sure what I just watched, but that was the most overdramatized series of cycling I have ever seen. Making huge deal about breaking only to get like a 1m lead. The whole time I just wondered what was the point of all this drama. I know it is essential for small strategies and what not, but this show took it way too far.
DakeDekaane
Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu: Just what did I watch? I only laughed at the "where are you shooting?" "aaaa" but I always laugh at that joke. I've watched more nonsense anime, but this wins the prize.

Kiseijuu: Going to watch this because I'm curious how the protagonist would get along with their "pal". The only thing that makes me sad were the opening theme, but nothing that affects the story, which is more important.

Trinity Seven: Yes, I don't mind this being a harem, but yes, story is good enough to keep my attention, animation isn't bad and characters are also likeable.

Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis: It's been a long time without having an anime with this drawing style, story looks interesting, like where you could mix demons, gods and human without making a mess? Characters are cool at their own, so yeah, sticking to this one.

Magic Kaito 1412: The last I'll be watching but not the least, idk what to say about this, it's good and enjoyable.
Shurelia

Navizel wrote:

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu - Are you kidding me. It's also a well-known fact that all anime with "ore" in the title sucks especially when it talks about fetish on some random thing like twintails or little sister (hello my little bitchy sister can't be this cute.)

Donten ni Warau - Don't fuck with me.
I lol'd hahaha
Navizel
Quality review c:
CatastropheX_old
Parasyte = The Epic pervert man's hand xD
Mogsy
Think I'll hold off on Psycho-Pass s2 for now, since Urobuchi has literally zero involvement with it.

Catching up on some premieres in the meantime since I was out of the country for a good five days.

Akatsuki no Yona - It's a show, alright. If this came out ten years ago it would probably have been eaten up by the shoujo crowd, but it came at a time where this type of story has evolved beyond where it is. Fauxshigi Yugi after one episode, in a phrase. But there are some potentially interesting dynamics here and it's safe, so maybe it won't bore me to continue it.

Shirobako - Way to get back on my good side after Glasslip, PA Works! This show is charming and funny, and while it might potentially be trying to lessen the actual conditions of the anime industry, it does a good job of actually portraying the real struggle in terms of forming actual episodes. A lot of work goes into every anime episode and Shirobako comes at this both with a slight bite and passion for the industry. It's charming and consistently funny while looking gorgeous, at that, so I think I'll hold onto this.

Parasyte -the maxim- - Best show of the season, easily. It takes events from the manga and rearranges them to flow better as a visual production, also adding in new scenes to add to this new flow and maintain a consistent atmosphere. Impeccably well-animated and well-shot, it's a hard show to beat.

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu - Ah, yes, the Rail Wars! of the season. The only show I watched that made me feel actively dumber the more I sat through it. It looks, uh, okay I guess. CG's pretty terribad. The entire plot reads like a parody of a light novel parody, it feels that forced and contrived. It tries to bean the viewer over the head with its premise, as if saying "why aren't you laughing?" the entire time. It's pretty fucking terrible.

Garo - To get it out of the way: YUP, CG'S PRETTY ATROCIOUS HERE. I personally don't mind the 2D animation here either, but it's obviously not MAPPA's higher-budget title for the season (that's Bahamut). The simple character designs allow for more expressive emotion, which the story will most likely call for, based upon this first episode. It's an intriguing Berserk-like tokusatsu story, so we'll see how it develops, religious political intrigue and all. Its positives far outweighed its negatives in my opinion, which is why it's green for me.

Bonjour♪ Koiaji Pâtisserie Airin - Another short anime that falls into the blue. It's going to be an otome game adaptation, but this first episode was rather decent to look at and isn't immediately obnoxious. Holding onto it since I've got worse ways to spend five minutes.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - I've got hopes for this one. It's a story we've been told a million times over, but it's emotionally honest and beautifully-presented. It's green here because the execution really is all there and I'm intrigued by where it goes in these next two cours.

Hitsugi no Chaika Avenging Battle - Chaika? Yes, Chaika. More of the same, with a slightly amped up animation budget. Could've been a stronger premiere episode, but that's because it's all setup and next time we'll be able to see the series' awesome action choreography more.
Lanturn
Madoka 2... I mean Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru | So I watched this thinking that it's gonna be just another relaxing slice of life with 4 girls in a club.. Then I get Madoka Magica for the second half of the first episode.. what? This is a slice of life? Waiting to see episode 2, but I really enjoyed the first episode.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle Finally caught up. Very good so far.

Shirobako I really didn't get much interest out of this and I'm not sure if I'm going to continue. I'll give it a chance though.

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu lol. I really don't understand this twintail fetish going on in the anime, almost to the point where I'm shaking my head. Will still watch another episode or two before deciding.

Changes:

Akatsuki no Yona First / Second eps were like the prologue.. It seems like this is really going to get interesting now.

Also I think Leguna's list has some of my ratings in it by accident. I have a few I put down but aren't in it. World Trigger, Inoi battle, and Ookami I believe. I'm also missing Keseijuu
piruchan
Change :
Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete - The art felt a bit weird, but after watching the second episode I think it's bad (maybe it got worse). Dropping this. I'll just wait for the VN translation.

Denki-gai no Honya-san - The second episode disgusts me. Dropping this.

My watch list is getting shorter and shorter.
Akatsuki no Yona - Palace drama, in an anime form. If you like this sort of drama go for it. The art is nice on the eyes and the characters are interesting.
Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru - I think this is going to be my main action series this season. First episode was fun to watch. The characters are a bit stereotypical, but I like the concept.

There are only Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and Sora no Method left for me to watch. Both will be done by tomorrow.
TheNekoNextDoor
Akatsuki no Yona regained it's momentum. Enough for me to up it to a green.
Sanzoku no Muzume Ronja - So disappointed with the animation for this! I really couldn't stand the 3D-animation. And I was so hyped for this, as well. Ghibli have let me down. :cry:
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works - OHMYGOD WHAT AN AMAZING FIRST EPISODE. I'M SPEECHLESS.
Jindujun93
Mushishi Zoku Shou 2: Together with Kiseijuu, THIS is the best anime Fall has to offer. No, scratch that. This anime, and this anime only, is the best of the year (only counting those that both started and finished this year). The first episode was just beautiful, and having already read the manga, I know it's only going to get even better from this point. Glad to have it back.
Navizel
Parasyte: the maxim - Finally, Madhouse started to adapt good series again. The soundtrack, pacing, and the story is great. Definitely one of the good shows this fall.

Shirobako - Nothing interesting so far but since this is PA Works, I'm going to watch a few more (please let it not be Glasslip again)
Zerostarry
Gugure Kokkuri-San: Dissapointed this wasn't about the loli, but handsome male characters.. so much wasted potential

UBW: Living up to the VN so far :3
DakeDekaane
Moving from blue to green Kiseijuu, this hooked me into watching it.
And from blue to red Terra Formars, I just can't stand it anymore.
YaYaPi
Kiseijuu is definitely a must watch

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is the kind of anime I'm finding, which is related to music, so I love it

Amaburi well its nice, who wouldn't like it though.

Denki-Gai no Honya-san, well those kind of things isn't really my cup of tea -.-

ShiroBako is kinda geting interesting and since its P.A. Works lets wait for something AMAZING!

Sora no Method well its nice but well who knows what might happen.

Thats All. Thank You! :D :D :D :D
Ceph23
What is up with Grisaia and those excessive panty shots?
Seriously, I'd enjoy it more if they didn't flash a colorful pantsu every scene.
AutoMedic

Ceph23 wrote:

Seriously, I'd enjoy it more if they didn't flash a colorful pantsu every scene.
you should have watched green green, there you'll regret everything you said right just now

ooops, remember kids. dont highlight the black thingy.
Faust
parasyte - the maxim

Am really starting to get into this series, after having watched up to episode 2.

It's not unusual for most animations these days to employ CGI fill-in for crosswalks or to blanket multiple moving characters to ease having to hand-draw everything, but I would say that one scene in episode 1 brought me out of it a little though this is just a nitpick.

The opening has got that intensity and forthcoming going for it, and I like that the show isn't trying too hard on emphasizing the grotesque and gore apparent in the original work. The setting is pretty believable that way, and even the humor is nicely put.

One of the shows I wouldn't mind losing sleep over.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

Man, UFOtable has such a hard-on for TYPE-MOON shit it's like a godsend for everyone.

Exemplary choreography in the fighting scenes.
The lead up from Lancer getting ferociously pushed back by Saber set the standard from the get-go, though let's not forget Archer as well, although the real meat has yet to come.

I really like that it didn't stall too long on Shirou's summoning, because that wouldn't made a halt to the momentum it built up till then.

Satisfyingly, it then proceeds to let the action do the talking with shitloads of gratifying sparks and exchanges.

An interesting touch on Gáe Bolg's activation, too.
I don't think I had it imagined that way at all, though there is a nice supplementary graphic guide to the trajectory from F/HA.

Apart from these, the updated designs are a good addition since that's the style Takeuchi draws in now.

They can spend the entire episode talking and nothing would be bad at all.
A definite watch for most audiences.

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis

Potential to be an outstanding series, yeah. But there's a lot left to be seen before anything can really be said.

Gorgeous characters and CGI that isn't too shabby at all. The game this universe is based on is basically a template and that makes it pretty easy to enjoy it as a series on itself, with lore being explored and presented freely without prior conceptions eg. behavior/mannerisms blah blah.

Likeable Protag and Deuteragonist (Amira being a babe and all)

Just looking to see where the show takes itself for now.
Very worth a shot.
tanteiRE
I typically don't watch recent anime; I wait until I hear from friends which ones are good or not. However..

Parasyte Read the manga several years ago and it became one of my favorites. The anime is a nice reminder, and hopefully will stick to the plot.

Also Psycho-pass season 2. Glad Egoist is still doing the endings, and the introduction of Mika as a rival will be interesting. I'm (wistfully) hoping that they bring Makishima back somehow because dying by Kogami's bullet was not the end he deserved (he should be forced to see his wrongs..).
[ yogurt ]

Ceph23 wrote:

Well, it IS an eroge adaptation...
Kyonko Hizara
Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season: Like always, the animation is very beautiful and very well done. And even tho it is a new season, it doesn't feel like it's completely off from the other seasons, but rather building onto the story.