forum

Change score tie-breaker condition to "lowest Unstable Rate"

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Yoshi_green
Not sure if this was requested before...

So my thought was to make the score tie-breaking condition to be the lowest Unstable Rate instead of who completed that map first

Let's say for example that there's a map with no spinners gets ranked. 3 minutes later, a person would SS that map (regardless which difficulty) with no mods. 5 minutes later, another person gets SS that map (and get the exact same score). So if you'll check on the nomod global rankings, they'll stay at the top forever because they SS'd it first... well, unless it gets unranked, of course
I just find that somewhat unfair, because what if it was ranked when somebody who could have gotten SS faster was halfway across the world sleeping? I find it more problematic when competing for a #1 rank, especially on lower difficulties where a 4-mod SSH is easier to achieve. I think that it'll be more fair to give everybody else a chance to take beat someone with the same score if they had a lower unstable rate, or another win condition similar to that, or else it'll just be a "first come first serve" kind of thing

Maybe you can incorporate "lower unstable rate = slightly more pp" too but that's another topic
Hula
This would definitely make sense. But we'd have to be able to see each other's unstable rates on every SS score then?

I'm all for this though. It's not exactly fair that having the same score is a first come, first serve basis.
Zare
This would render OD completely useless... Support! :D

However, as UR isn't saved in replays (it can only be recalculated after you watch the replay), it probably can't be done that easily.
Kitsunemimi

Zare wrote:

However, as UR isn't saved in replays (it can only be recalculated after you watch the replay), it probably can't be done that easily.
^ This basically.
It's going to cause scores to become inconsistent. People will look back at older scores and wonder why whoever beat the map first would get the better rank. Either that, or you'd still not be able to see the unstable rate in the first place and there would be no easy way to tell. There's no implementation of this in CtB (which is arguably the mode with the most SS ties). And of course the implementation will be quite complicated I'd imagine.

Not only that, but first come first served is somewhat of an indicator of skill, especially on new maps. People who are more consistent, more skilled, or are more capable of putting in more attempts in a shorter time deserve to have a better ranking than those who take longer to beat a map, more tries in general, or a combination of the two.
Vuelo Eluko

Kitsunemimi wrote:

People who are more consistent, more skilled, or are more capable of putting in more attempts in a shorter time deserve to have a better ranking than those who take longer to beat a map, more tries in general, or a combination of the two.
Disagree entirely. If someone SS's a spinnerless with a lower UR than someone who did it before him, he is by no means worse, even if it took more tries.
Topic Starter
Yoshi_green

Riince wrote:

Kitsunemimi wrote:

People who are more consistent, more skilled, or are more capable of putting in more attempts in a shorter time deserve to have a better ranking than those who take longer to beat a map, more tries in general, or a combination of the two.
Disagree entirely. If someone SS's a spinnerless with a lower UR than someone who did it before him, he is by no means worse, even if it took more tries.
He has a valid point about what to do with CtB tie-breakers, as Unstable Rate is calculated differently since it doesn't involve hitting notes on time (afaik)
I was thinking about what to do with CtB if this even gets more thought and suggestions, let alone being implemented, but keeping one mode as a first-come-first-serve basis with the rest as another tie-breaking condition seems very inconsistent, and the problem lies there

Kitsunemimi wrote:

Not only that, but first come first served is somewhat of an indicator of skill, especially on new maps. People who are more consistent, more skilled, or are more capable of putting in more attempts in a shorter time deserve to have a better ranking than those who take longer to beat a map, more tries in general, or a combination of the two.
I understand this is true, but to an extent; I still wouldn't find it fair if a map was ranked while someone who could have SS'd it faster was only sleeping because of timezone differences
Generally, I'd find ^that^ even less fair than simply beaten with a lower Unstable Rate after trying 50 or so times more
And usually, people who would SS harder maps on a regular basis would already have a lower average Unstable Rate, so this would still filter the "consistent players who got SS in a low number of tries" from the "lucky players who got SS with low UR by fluke"

Sorry I wrote this at 3 in the morning and I'm going to check it again after I wake up to see if my points are relevant to the discussion ._.