forum

[resolved] Timing point rendering is very unoptimized

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tear
Having too many timing points visible at once on the timing tab in the editor results in a huge, unreasonable performance drop which makes it very difficult to continue working on the map. A large amount of greenlines is used in mania for smooth SV changes.

(Framerate is in lower right corner)
Example 1, map in progress: no points, points
Example 2, finished and uploaded map: no points, points
Bara-
Yep
Same for Taiko (as I use a load of greenlines for a slow speedup (big red stream with constanlty higher speed, like Collab Oni in Bonfire)
Topic Starter
Tear
t/153515 contains this issue, but all posts after the OP focus on the rounding errors and I think it's better to have one thread per isolated problem.
drum drum
Lots of timing points would mean lots of data to load at a time. It's like trying to play a game with lots of explosions. Eventually the rendering of explosions will... you get the point.

Normally I'd redirect a post like this to Feature Requests, but I'm not too sure this time.
Topic Starter
Tear
We can have hundreds of notes at the same time with no performance drop, but not 20 timing flags?
Bara-
For me it only happens when there are more than 200-300 (in 2 min)
drum drum
You have to be honest, that's a massive cluster of timing points...

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/2021898
Bara-
It's not much for a mania map though
Seijiro
I never had problems with timing points sections (maybe cause I didn't use them so much yet, who knows...).
Instead, I had problems with a lot of notes in a short amount of time, especially in Mania. Just to say it all: my computer crashed after putting notes every 1/2 on a Mania map (I was to 5 minutes already) and I couldn't continue on....but this could be just my problem... :/
Topic Starter
Tear
That's a separate thing, try disabling undo states (forgot where the setting is, look for it)
drum drum
It's only lagging in the timing menu because it has to render all the timing flags, which is going to use a lot of rendering compared to just green bars.
smoogipoo
Fixed.