forum

Is it worth to get a mechanical keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DahplA
There probably already topics out there for this question. I've been thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard for a while now, because it seems it's like what everyone uses.
  1. Is there a benefit to getting a mechanical keyboard?
  2. What does it provide over a normal keyboard?
  3. Will I see an immediate improvement, or will I have to get used to it?
Loves
yes

it feels cleaner and more accurate. the tactile is also amazing
Rise_old_1
Yes.

- Mechanical keyboards survive a humongous amount of time above a regular rubber dome keyboard.
- Mechanical keyboards have a large variety of different switch collors which can be used for different purposes or preferences.
- obviously like any hardware change, it can impact to see the slightest improvement, but it can not show anything immediate aswell.

answering the second question is somewhat hard so I'll just link a comparison. there is also an in-depth mechanical switch thread there.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mechanical-vs-rubber-dome-keyboards
[Bystander]
Yes again.

Would not go back to rubber dome for playing osu or general computer use. It did take me some time (1-2 months) to get used to.
Bauxe
Since I can't be fucked looking up threads again...

Bauxe wrote:

Let me help.

t/92602
t/43821
t/161153
t/101450
t/119347
t/169933
t/85215
t/132375
t/151656
t/148797
t/226797
t/164929
t/43821

I could keep going with probably around 1,000 more threads, but that should give you a good enough idea.
edit: this is probably more about the switches, but still should give you a good idea.
Blueprint
Am I the only 1 who thinks mechs only make a difference with my stamina by not much.
chainpullz

DahplA wrote:

There probably already topics out there for this question. I've been thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard for a while now, because it seems it's like what everyone uses.
  1. Yes, if you plan to play a lot the extra lifetime on switches is really nice. I have something like 3mil hits recorded on my profile meaning I've actually hit the z-key over 2mil times for sure which would pretty much kill the key on a non-mechanical keyboard. That and and I personally love the sound of mechanical keys clicking in rhythm (which I can't hear over my headphones anyways but w/e).
  2. Durability, linear movement, a different feel, and in some cases it requires a lower amount of activation force depending on switch.
  3. Not at all. I use my scissor switches on my laptop as my backup for playing in public and outside of having to work a little bit harder above 210bpm compared to my reds I end up with basically the same results. Getting used to a keyboard after having used the other a bunch usually only takes like 10 warmup plays or something for me.
Gumpy
It's the best thing to happen since computers were made.

Cherry MX Reds is what i recommend.
Aqua Rush
Bought Razer Blackwidow 2014 Ultimate 2 days ago.
So far I can tell from personal experience that I;
- Stream way more than I expected.
- Stream faster than a default keyboard.
- Single tapping has become a lot easier and I my accuracy as for the single tapping especially improved.
- My stamina has improved.

Overall yes, it's worth buying a mechanical keyboard, you're gonna love it once you have & try it!
[Bystander]

Gumpyyy wrote:

It's the best thing to happen since computers were made.

Cherry MX Reds is what i recommend.
Basically this.
cheezstik
It will probably definitely give you a big advantage but it's by no means required. I'm using a regular keryboard and I would consider my self good at streams, and more of a rhythm / speed player than an aim player. I've never used a mechanical keyboard so I can't really compare.

Also I'm bad at the game so take that as you will.
GoldenWolf

Bauxe wrote:

Since I can't be fucked looking up threads again...

Bauxe wrote:

Let me help.

t/92602
t/43821
t/161153
t/101450
t/119347
t/169933
t/85215
t/132375
t/151656
t/148797
t/226797
t/164929
t/43821

I could keep going with probably around 1,000 more threads, but that should give you a good enough idea.
edit: this is probably more about the switches, but still should give you a good idea.
Seems like no one cares about reading them, better make a new thread everytime
Bauxe

cheezstik wrote:

It will probably definitely give you a big advantage but it's by no means required. I'm using a regular keryboard and I would consider my self good at streams, and more of a rhythm / speed player than an aim player. I've never used a mechanical keyboard so I can't really compare.
Don't take this as rude. But it really won't make a difference until you get to a certain threshold. Like 200+.
Espionage724

DahplA wrote:

Mechanical switches tend to be more durable.

You will have to get used to it. Speaking from my own experience, my accuracy was a mess initially when I went from rubber dome to Blue, because of the way the key registers, and how I was expecting it to register.

Basically, with rubber dome, when the key hits the bottom-out point, it registers, and it's easy to recognize this. With Blue switches however, it registers about half-way through the key press, before the point of bottoming-out.

It doesn't take too long to get used to a certain switch type though, but the time to get used to a switch depends on the switch you're going to, and what you're used to.

Edit: Apparently Black and Red require you to bottom-out to register presses, which may be pretty similar to rubber dome.

The question is, what kind of switch will you get? Ideally, I would recommend getting a mechanical keyboard for the intention of using it generally, and not getting one specifically for osu!. This may or may not be the most accurate information, but:

- I hear Red switches are recommended for gaming, but are terrible to type with over extended periods of time.
- Blacks are also recommended for gaming.
- Blues are great for typing, but I don't see too many people recommending them for gaming. They're also regarded as loud.
- Greens are great if you want something similar to the buckling spring switch (basically harder to press down); great for typing.
- Browns are a lighter (quieter)-version of Blue, and I hear it commonly recommended for a good balance between typing, gaming, and silence.
- Buckling springs are great, but this is an "ancient" switch, and you'll likely only see it mentioned with the IBM Model M; which is outstanding for typing.

As for what factors to look into when choosing a switch type for a specific task, it's whether the switch is linear or not, and how much actuation force it takes to press the key down.

I'd personally recommend Brown switches. Blues aren't bad either. And if for some reason you want to go old-school and have a tank of a keyboard that can survive anything (and also have fun possibly fixing it up and learning more about keyboards along the way), could go for an IBM Model M 8-) or if you want something newer you can actually pick up in retail, something with Green switches.

Although now that I think about it, I think Blacks and Red switches are linear switches, which ideally means the switch registers on and off around the same point (which sounds and probably is great for accuracy with osu!). Blues I know aren't linear. No idea on Browns or other switches. The switch being linear or not won't matter after a time where you get used to the switch anyway though.

Also, here's a page full of useful keyboard terms you may want to look into: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/terms.php

Whichever keyboard and switch you do decide to choose though, just make sure to choose it after thorough research. I jumped right into mech keyboard and got Blue without looking at anything else, and kind of regretted it at first (not saying Blue is bad of course; just saying I wish I would have known about other switch types at the time).

Someone please feel free to correct any of that information if it's wrong.
byfar
yes, when u climb higher ranks you will quickly realize how important a good keyboard is. not jamming a key can mean the difference between fc and not fc.

also i think blues are extremely good for osu, if you have good stamina. the tactile feedback provides rhythm for me at least
Varetyr

Bauxe wrote:

Don't take this as rude. But it really won't make a difference until you get to a certain threshold. Like 200+.
Pretty much my thoughts

Espionage724

Varetyr wrote:

Do blacks really need that much actuation force? Thought for sure Greens were the highest.
sangu

Espionage724 wrote:

Although now that I think about it, I think Blacks and Red switches are linear switches, which ideally means the switch registers on and off around the same point (which sounds and probably is great for accuracy with osu!). Blues I know aren't linear. No idea on Browns or other switches. The switch being linear or not won't matter after a time where you get used to the switch anyway though.
When the switch is noted as being "linear" it is in regards to the feedback, not the actuation point. The reds and blacks are linear tactile feedback, meaning no feedback at all, the key feels the same from initial press to bottoming out. Blues have a mechanism inside which gives a much stronger tactile feel. (and a very loud "click" Browns are kind of "all-round," which means that they do not have an internal mechanism unlike the blues, but have a slight "bump" to provide some tactile feedback.

This website has some great animations for the internals of all cherry switches, in case my explanation is confusing: http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/
Varetyr
It's a bit exaggerated, greens are still the highest, it's just ~higher than the rest afaik
Bauxe

Varetyr wrote:

It's a bit exaggerated, greens are still the highest, it's just ~higher than the rest afaik
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Super_Black
8-)
show more