community forum

Is it worth to get a mechanical keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
53
show more
Cozzzy
From my experience - nope. Even after a year of using them, my mech switches have made me worse at rhythm games in every way, and I really don't like the feel for general use either. That said, I haven't tried blues or browns yet. If you work and the price isn't a problem, then yeah order a sampler kit or something first.

People keep mentioning mania. Well, with rubberdomes I can just rest my fingers on the keys, and make slight movements to feel the clicks, so I have much higher speed and stamina. This is basically impossible on my black switches D:
Litenang

Cozzzy wrote:

People keep mentioning mania. Well, with rubberdomes I can just rest my fingers on the keys, and make slight movements to feel the clicks, so I have much higher speed and stamina. This is basically impossible on my black switches D:
Black switches are quite stiff, and I don't particularly like reds either. Mania requires n-key rollover, or at least 6-7 key rollover, which is a property almost every mechanical keyboard has, unlike rubberdomes.
jesse1412
A mechanical keyboard is THE best investment you could ever make in osu! Tablets are shitty in comparison. I couldn't play osu! at all on a none mech now (I've tried).

I decree as king of g&r, no further opinions are necessary.
Purple

jesus1412 wrote:

A mechanical keyboard is THE best investment you could ever make in osu!
I agree, I'm actually astounded at the amount of people who say it's worthless

If you can't pay 100$ for a mech keyboard then get a 30$ mech numpad, it's the same thing. I just don't see the point of spreading falsehood. If you've never played with mechanical keys then don't comment, and if you have but it didn't work out for you then don't assume it'll be the same for everyone else.
Topic Starter
DahplA

Purple wrote:

I agree, I'm actually astounded at the amount of people who say it's worthless

If you can't pay 100$ for a mech keyboard then get a 30$ mech numpad, it's the same thing. I just don't see the point of spreading falsehood. If you've never played with mechanical keys then don't comment, and if you have but it didn't work out for you then don't assume it'll be the same for everyone else.
Mechanical numberpads? $30? :O That's amazing, considering you only need 2 keys there isn't a point getting a full keyboard. Thanks for that.
Edit: Are there any good stores in Australia/websites that sell mechanical numberpads or keyboards?
chainpullz

Purple wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

A mechanical keyboard is THE best investment you could ever make in osu!
I agree, I'm actually astounded at the amount of people who say it's worthless

If you can't pay 100$ for a mech keyboard then get a 30$ mech numpad, it's the same thing. I just don't see the point of spreading falsehood. If you've never played with mechanical keys then don't comment, and if you have but it didn't work out for you then don't assume it'll be the same for everyone else.
While I definitely think a mechanical keyboard is the best investment you can make in osu! I also don't think the determining factor should be that it will "magically make you better as osu!" If you happen to be good enough at the game already that having better stamina on 200+ bpm streams (for clarification, talking of at least length 8) then you are still going to have to learn the new keyboard which will take a bit of time. If you aren't at this level of skill already you likely won't see any difference. Most beatmaps don't directly benefit from having a mechanical keyboard.

I'm saying this from a perspective of someone who regularly switches between cherry mx reds and scissor switches. The difference in ability to accurately single tap between my scissor switches and reds is marginal at best. The biggest difference is the amount of work it takes to actually actuate the switches at high speed which means I take a huge hit to stamina when I use scissor switches. That said, I am probably more gated by my ability to read 240+bpm ar9.6 than by my ability to hit keys fast enough.

I just think it's silly that people act as if a mechanical keyboard will magically carry them from 20k to 2k in less than a week. If you want to get better, practice more. If you want a really nice keyboard, buy a mechanical keyboard. That's really what the choice should come down to for most players.
FlyingKebab
On topic how fast do mechanical keyboards and their switches break under constant workload a.k.a fast tapping like with osu, since I am afraid that I will break something when I get my mechanical I am leaning torwards using numpad keys as tapping keys if they break easily.
cheezstik

Bauxe wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

Don't remember mentioning spamming or mashing, but I'll clear it up anyway; I can accurately stream 220bpm.

The self-glorification aside, my original on-topic point is that if someone at my level of play can do 220bpm (something higher than my level of play) on a regular keyboard, then it is safe to say that for someone at my level or lower (such as OP), a mechanical keyboard is not needed or 100% worth it, because as bauxe said, it won't make much difference.

Now on the other hand if you are bauxe-level good, go ahead and grab a mechanical keyboard, it's most likely worth it.
I really want to see a replay of you streaming at 220bpm (for a decent length, not 5 notes, that isn't streaming).

Also, my upper limit for streaming is like 205bpm. If you can full combo rog-unlimitation, then yeah, you can stream 220 I guess.
Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nzhjn3swp8ajy86/
And the song: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/59972
It's pretty mashy and inaccurate, and a pretty long song, but it shows 218 bpm streams that I fc, near the end is a pretty long stream chain. Couldn't find many other replays, this is probably the best at this speed. Doesn't really prove I can stream 220 since it's so mashy but you get the idea.


FlyingKebab wrote:

On topic how fast do mechanical keyboards and their switches break under constant workload a.k.a fast tapping like with osu, since I am afraid that I will break something when I get my mechanical I am leaning torwards using numpad keys as tapping keys if they break easily.
I don't think mechanical keyboards are meant to break for a long time, unless it's a razer or something, and even then it's still meant to last ages. My rubber dome has lasted me 4 years, and 6 months of those years were through osu, and it is definitely not as sturdy as any mechanical keyboard. Decent keyboards are meant to last ages anyway, mechanical or not, it's pretty hard to break a keyboard, even while playing osu.
chainpullz

FlyingKebab wrote:

On topic how fast do mechanical keyboards and their switches break under constant workload a.k.a fast tapping like with osu, since I am afraid that I will break something when I get my mechanical I am leaning torwards using numpad keys as tapping keys if they break easily.
Each key is rated for like 10 million presses (maybe 15 million, cant remember which off hand).

Based on napkin map I've accumulated probably less than 3mil on a given key. I'd say if you are spamming up the play count you can probably count on a key to last 2 years but if you play more casually expect probably like 4 years. But honestly, after 4 years its probably time to replace your computer so a 2 year lifetime of constant abuse and refusal to switch keybinds for something as cheap as a keyboard isn't something you should worry about.
Paizuri
cherry switches are rated at 50 million key presses
chainpullz

Noobsicle wrote:

cherry switches are rated at 50 million key presses
Yeah, its been like a year since i looked the number up. Looks like I confused rubber dome and mechanical. This just further adds to my point that the wear is pretty negligible. You can probably put somewhere on the order of 100k plays in before you even have to worry.
Please sign in to reply.

New reply