Is it worth to get a mechanical keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
53
show more
Mathsma

Bauxe wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

Don't remember mentioning spamming or mashing, but I'll clear it up anyway; I can accurately stream 220bpm.

The self-glorification aside, my original on-topic point is that if someone at my level of play can do 220bpm (something higher than my level of play) on a regular keyboard, then it is safe to say that for someone at my level or lower (such as OP), a mechanical keyboard is not needed or 100% worth it, because as bauxe said, it won't make much difference.

Now on the other hand if you are bauxe-level good, go ahead and grab a mechanical keyboard, it's most likely worth it.
I really want to see a replay of you streaming at 220bpm (for a decent length, not 5 notes, that isn't streaming).

Also, my upper limit for streaming is like 205bpm. If you can full combo rog-unlimitation, then yeah, you can stream 220 I guess.
rog-unlimitation has super low od or something, its really easy to do even if you cant stream near its bpm.
Purple
Probably not, depends on how much you type. It IS worth it to get a mechanical numpad, though.

If not for gameplay then it's for health reasons. Playing with mechanical keys lowers the risk of tendon injuries.

Back 3 years ago before I got my mech keyboard I couldn't even stream 140 bpm. After I got it, I didn't get much faster but it did help me not get fatigued as easily.
Synpoo
sounds like the thing hindering my progress in this game is the lack of a mech keyboard and me using this shitty razer keyboard :^)

and uh shitty aim
[Bystander]

Purple wrote:

Back 3 years ago before I got my mech keyboard I couldn't even stream 140 bpm. After I got it, I didn't get much faster but it did help me not get fatigued as easily.
What??? I have a really bad habit of over streaming 140bpm or less songs. I find this hard to believe.

exozion wrote:

sounds like the thing hindering my progress in this game is the lack of a mech keyboard and me using this shitty razer keyboard :^)
heh GoldenWolf-sama uses a razer keyboard
cheezstik

Bauxe wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

Don't remember mentioning spamming or mashing, but I'll clear it up anyway; I can accurately stream 220bpm.

The self-glorification aside, my original on-topic point is that if someone at my level of play can do 220bpm (something higher than my level of play) on a regular keyboard, then it is safe to say that for someone at my level or lower (such as OP), a mechanical keyboard is not needed or 100% worth it, because as bauxe said, it won't make much difference.

Now on the other hand if you are bauxe-level good, go ahead and grab a mechanical keyboard, it's most likely worth it.
I really want to see a replay of you streaming at 220bpm (for a decent length, not 5 notes, that isn't streaming).

Also, my upper limit for streaming is like 205bpm. If you can full combo rog-unlimitation, then yeah, you can stream 220 I guess.
I half fc rog unlimitation then fail near the end cos of my trash-tier stamina, same with another freedom dive. But something more in my stamina range with still decent bpm (~195) is goreshit - o'er the flood and Hatsune Miku - Mythologia's End
Purple

[Bystander] wrote:

Purple wrote:

Back 3 years ago before I got my mech keyboard I couldn't even stream 140 bpm. After I got it, I didn't get much faster but it did help me not get fatigued as easily.
What??? I have a really bad habit of over streaming 140bpm or less songs. I find this hard to believe.
God deemed it wasteful to give me faster than sluggish fingers when I was conceived, thinking it would not help me against life's struggles

He was wrong
Amianki
Mechanical keyboard accelerated my skill improvement.
ikzune
in regards to the osumania aspect of mechanical verses rubber dome
first issue with rubber dome or laptop keyboards in general is you have at least 10kro keeping the current planned keymodes in mind, this means that you can hit 10keys at once and they all will register, not all laptop keyboards have this but most mechanical keyboards nowdays should come with that expectation

second factor is durability, yes a mechanical keyboard has been said to last you a lot longer then a rubber dome keyboard, i still say that you get enough time out of a rubber dome keyboard for it to not matter, the amount i have played is at least double my playcount in osumania due to playing unsubmitted maps and i have only truely broken 1 keyboard.

third factor would be keypressure, this is where mechanical or rubber dome keyboard falls out, in terms of osumania it is better to play what you are more used to or else you will be spending ages trying to ensure that you hit on time, different keypressures mean a slight change in delay when you start to push the key to when it registers, personally i find rubber dome keyboards best however others are more used to mechanical keyboards its more so something you have to be used to.

in conclusion however a mechanical keyboard is not a value in osumania unless its the type of keyboard you are used to and hearing from some standard osu players the keyboard doesnt change your ability that much although it may feel more responsive due to the clicking sounds which could help learning... maybe idk
Bauxe

cheezstik wrote:

I half fc rog unlimitation then fail near the end cos of my trash-tier stamina, same with another freedom dive. But something more in my stamina range with still decent bpm (~195) is goreshit - o'er the flood and Hatsune Miku - Mythologia's End
Posting maps doesn't show anything, screenshots do.

And if you are getting like accuracy <95% on the streams, I'm sorry, you can't stream that speed.
Lach
I'm a firm believer that mechanical keyboards don't do shit for your skill/accuracy/speed/whatever, unless playing osu!mania, as some keyboards have issues pressing specific key combinations, and most mechanical keyboards come with ways to combat that.

That doesn't mean they aren't nice to have. A good mechanical keyboard is like a dream to type on. Has a good, consistent feeling to every keystroke. There's a reason people buy expensive buttons for fightsticks and controllers. They don't improve your play, but they have a precise feeling with different levels of pressure required for actuation. It's up to you to decide if you want to spend money.
Litenang
Personally, I think a mechanical keyboard is worth it if you use your computer every day and use it to type rather often. I won't go into discussion of the keys because everyone has their preferences. I've tried MX blues, reds, blacks, and am currently using browns. The best is to go into a store and try each one for yourself to see what you like and prefer.

As for Osu!, I don't feel as if it gives any particular advantage if you have a good rubber dome keyboard, chiclet, or mechanical keyboard, as long as you're used to it. It can make a difference for Osumania because most mechanical keyboards support n-key rollover. However, for the regular game mode, I do believe that a mechanical keyboard is more reliable in actuation force (the force required to push the key to activate it), and the speed the key returns to its default position to be pressed again. Some rubber dome keyboards are not as reliable in this aspect.

In terms of stamina, it depends again on the quality of the rubber dome keyboard. Mechanical keyboards have very standardized actuation forces, and therefore the stamina consumption is very reliable. For a rubber dome keyboard, users tend to press the key too hard to guarantee a key input. A good rubber dome keyboard is still quite steady in its actuation force, and shouldn't necessarily take more energy to press the keys.

For high bpm (220+), I would greatly suggest mechanical keyboards. The reliability you need to get good accuracy for a stream is much more important at high bpm, and while you can "float" on a mechanical keyboard, it's extremely difficult to do on a rubber dome. Floating is depressing the key just past the actuation point, and letting it rise a little above, then repeating. This is the fastest way to mash, and learning how to float well on your particular keyboard will allow you to single tap and stream at much higher bpm.

TL;DR If you play 220+ bpm streams, get a mechanical keyboard. For everything else, you probably don't need one, but I wholeheartedly recommend a mechanical keyboard if you use your computer daily.
Cozzzy
From my experience - nope. Even after a year of using them, my mech switches have made me worse at rhythm games in every way, and I really don't like the feel for general use either. That said, I haven't tried blues or browns yet. If you work and the price isn't a problem, then yeah order a sampler kit or something first.

People keep mentioning mania. Well, with rubberdomes I can just rest my fingers on the keys, and make slight movements to feel the clicks, so I have much higher speed and stamina. This is basically impossible on my black switches D:
Litenang

Cozzzy wrote:

People keep mentioning mania. Well, with rubberdomes I can just rest my fingers on the keys, and make slight movements to feel the clicks, so I have much higher speed and stamina. This is basically impossible on my black switches D:
Black switches are quite stiff, and I don't particularly like reds either. Mania requires n-key rollover, or at least 6-7 key rollover, which is a property almost every mechanical keyboard has, unlike rubberdomes.
jesse1412
A mechanical keyboard is THE best investment you could ever make in osu! Tablets are shitty in comparison. I couldn't play osu! at all on a none mech now (I've tried).

I decree as king of g&r, no further opinions are necessary.
Purple

jesus1412 wrote:

A mechanical keyboard is THE best investment you could ever make in osu!
I agree, I'm actually astounded at the amount of people who say it's worthless

If you can't pay 100$ for a mech keyboard then get a 30$ mech numpad, it's the same thing. I just don't see the point of spreading falsehood. If you've never played with mechanical keys then don't comment, and if you have but it didn't work out for you then don't assume it'll be the same for everyone else.
Topic Starter
DahplA

Purple wrote:

I agree, I'm actually astounded at the amount of people who say it's worthless

If you can't pay 100$ for a mech keyboard then get a 30$ mech numpad, it's the same thing. I just don't see the point of spreading falsehood. If you've never played with mechanical keys then don't comment, and if you have but it didn't work out for you then don't assume it'll be the same for everyone else.
Mechanical numberpads? $30? :O That's amazing, considering you only need 2 keys there isn't a point getting a full keyboard. Thanks for that.
Edit: Are there any good stores in Australia/websites that sell mechanical numberpads or keyboards?
chainpullz

Purple wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

A mechanical keyboard is THE best investment you could ever make in osu!
I agree, I'm actually astounded at the amount of people who say it's worthless

If you can't pay 100$ for a mech keyboard then get a 30$ mech numpad, it's the same thing. I just don't see the point of spreading falsehood. If you've never played with mechanical keys then don't comment, and if you have but it didn't work out for you then don't assume it'll be the same for everyone else.
While I definitely think a mechanical keyboard is the best investment you can make in osu! I also don't think the determining factor should be that it will "magically make you better as osu!" If you happen to be good enough at the game already that having better stamina on 200+ bpm streams (for clarification, talking of at least length 8) then you are still going to have to learn the new keyboard which will take a bit of time. If you aren't at this level of skill already you likely won't see any difference. Most beatmaps don't directly benefit from having a mechanical keyboard.

I'm saying this from a perspective of someone who regularly switches between cherry mx reds and scissor switches. The difference in ability to accurately single tap between my scissor switches and reds is marginal at best. The biggest difference is the amount of work it takes to actually actuate the switches at high speed which means I take a huge hit to stamina when I use scissor switches. That said, I am probably more gated by my ability to read 240+bpm ar9.6 than by my ability to hit keys fast enough.

I just think it's silly that people act as if a mechanical keyboard will magically carry them from 20k to 2k in less than a week. If you want to get better, practice more. If you want a really nice keyboard, buy a mechanical keyboard. That's really what the choice should come down to for most players.
FlyingKebab
On topic how fast do mechanical keyboards and their switches break under constant workload a.k.a fast tapping like with osu, since I am afraid that I will break something when I get my mechanical I am leaning torwards using numpad keys as tapping keys if they break easily.
cheezstik

Bauxe wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

Don't remember mentioning spamming or mashing, but I'll clear it up anyway; I can accurately stream 220bpm.

The self-glorification aside, my original on-topic point is that if someone at my level of play can do 220bpm (something higher than my level of play) on a regular keyboard, then it is safe to say that for someone at my level or lower (such as OP), a mechanical keyboard is not needed or 100% worth it, because as bauxe said, it won't make much difference.

Now on the other hand if you are bauxe-level good, go ahead and grab a mechanical keyboard, it's most likely worth it.
I really want to see a replay of you streaming at 220bpm (for a decent length, not 5 notes, that isn't streaming).

Also, my upper limit for streaming is like 205bpm. If you can full combo rog-unlimitation, then yeah, you can stream 220 I guess.
Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nzhjn3swp8ajy86/
And the song: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/59972
It's pretty mashy and inaccurate, and a pretty long song, but it shows 218 bpm streams that I fc, near the end is a pretty long stream chain. Couldn't find many other replays, this is probably the best at this speed. Doesn't really prove I can stream 220 since it's so mashy but you get the idea.


FlyingKebab wrote:

On topic how fast do mechanical keyboards and their switches break under constant workload a.k.a fast tapping like with osu, since I am afraid that I will break something when I get my mechanical I am leaning torwards using numpad keys as tapping keys if they break easily.
I don't think mechanical keyboards are meant to break for a long time, unless it's a razer or something, and even then it's still meant to last ages. My rubber dome has lasted me 4 years, and 6 months of those years were through osu, and it is definitely not as sturdy as any mechanical keyboard. Decent keyboards are meant to last ages anyway, mechanical or not, it's pretty hard to break a keyboard, even while playing osu.
chainpullz

FlyingKebab wrote:

On topic how fast do mechanical keyboards and their switches break under constant workload a.k.a fast tapping like with osu, since I am afraid that I will break something when I get my mechanical I am leaning torwards using numpad keys as tapping keys if they break easily.
Each key is rated for like 10 million presses (maybe 15 million, cant remember which off hand).

Based on napkin map I've accumulated probably less than 3mil on a given key. I'd say if you are spamming up the play count you can probably count on a key to last 2 years but if you play more casually expect probably like 4 years. But honestly, after 4 years its probably time to replace your computer so a 2 year lifetime of constant abuse and refusal to switch keybinds for something as cheap as a keyboard isn't something you should worry about.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply