forum

New release system testing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
I've rewritten the update system from scratch and am therefore hesitant to release it to the full public audience without some further testing.

If you feel like helping out, please download this executable and overwrite your existing one: http://puu.sh/brW7L/9f2b1a5792.zip

It features the new stream-based release system, but also a crapload of new features and fixes (http://puu.sh/brWZ0/81c084af92.png / http://puu.sh/brWZC/84fb902c4b.png). Please focus on the update/release system here, because that is what I need tested.

Things to test:
  1. switching update stream in options from stable to cutting-edge.
  2. try deleting any of the osu! dll files from the directory while osu! isn't running. it should self-heal.
  3. try running it in an empty folder. it will download a complete osu! installation in under a minute (on a good connection).
  4. try to break it.
Please report any breakage with as much detail as possible (screen capture of video is probably the best where possible).

NOTE: After switching to this release, you can stay on it permanently. It will continue to update and be usable into the future.
Dark Espeon
*yays loudly*
Jsdfbn
"try to break it" I love it.
Ace3DF
No problems, but I thought you wanted to drop osume.exe ? Downloading first time is fast, but when I deleted osu!gameplay.dll, osu!ui.dll and osu.dll (to test), they downloaded pretty slowly compared to first download batch.
Quack
1K, 2K, and 3K dayum.
AlexaBM
I have an issue. Distance Snap doesn't work. When I want to put an object using DS, I can put it wherever I want (like if I wanted to put it without DS). But when I want to move the object, DS works. Screens:
Putting an object (DS 1,0)
Moving the object (everything is okay)
It is really uncomfortable to map with this issue ><
Topic Starter
peppy

Ace3DF wrote:

No problems, but I thought you wanted to drop osume.exe ? Downloading first time is fast, but when I deleted osu!gameplay.dll, osu!ui.dll and osu.dll (to test), they downloaded pretty slowly compared to first download batch.
The download method is the same in both cases.

osume.exe is there only as a recovery means if something was to horribly break with the new updater. it is not used by the client anymore (ever).
Rise_old_1
[*] try to break it.[/list]

CHALLANGE. ACCEPTED.

JK, good to see this coming out~ :D
Dolphin

:lol:

edit:

lol userpanels
kurufu
If you go to play/multi and then go back to the menu and switch streams then it doesnt show the "A new version of osu! is ready!" button at the bottom after switching streams.
theFerdi265
Small bug that comes with the new osu!.exe: Menu sounds are broken are broken for Stable release branch. (Maybe because it contains the ones for cutting edge but it doesn't play those?) I guess the cutting-edge stream will be rolled out to non-supperters in a few days.

Nice work with the launcher peppy :D
Nathanael
Posting this here just in case.

When osu!'s connection is blocked, a message box will pop out with a message "osu! is already performing maintenance" even it wasn't.
After that, the blank application form is shown and nothing will happen after that.

Allowing the connection, the application successfully downloaded the required files.
MostDakka
No idea if this is good or not but i'm missing menu sounds. Like the ones when u hover over song or buttons in menu or when u select them in stable build.
bomber34
switching update stream in options from stable to cutting-edge.
try deleting any of the osu! dll files from the directory while osu! isn't running. it should self-heal.
try running it in an empty folder. it will download a complete osu! installation in under a minute (on a good connection).

well that all works fine but I haven't managed to break it, sorry D:
drum drum
Is it worth checking for in-game bugs or is it just file related?'

I try installing osu! using an empty folder. Starting the game, there are no beatmaps. Is this still being worked on?
Violent Rime
I dunno why but when i tried on a PC with super low internet connection (1~10 kbps) it's always stuck in 3% and not download anything, maybe cutting edge it's only for user with speedy up to 100 kbps

Well... after all i like the old updater who support all internet connection speed, anyway can someone tell me how to bring back the old osu! without this new release system?

Edit: nah forget it...
Topic Starter
peppy
I need more details on your issue. Can you take a screenshot or video showing it getting stuck?
Ryu Sei
I just tested it on clean install.

Works as expected, and some important databases are hided. Gotta find the bug later.
Violent Rime

peppy wrote:

I need more details on your issue. Can you take a screenshot or video showing it getting stuck?
ugh sorry i just resolve it by my self

Anyway did someone try to play in offline mode? (disconnect the internet not guest mode) i just have a problem when i tried in offline mode the updater always checking and after that's i got an error message who said "osu! is already updating" and not get any respond from the osu! again.
Here for the screen when i tried in offline mode
First run and osu! show the updater

After waiting for a while i got a strange message... and after that's~ i never get any respond again from osu! :cry:
well maybe it's not a bug but peppy wanna ppl not play in offline mode again lel
I dunno the "bug" it's work on another PC or not just try it man. 8-)
chong601
The update goes smooth :D (downloading 50+MB of stuff using 384k isn't good D:)

But some notes:
  1. It appears that the osu! having 5 download threads running concurrently? It makes a few broken downloads (eg. files downloaded halfway restarted again due to broken link). Consider using osume.exe update style?
Arnold0
Hi,

When beeing on Cutting Edge and deleting all dll files it redownload these for Stable build then when the game start it download these for cutting edge, so it download the files two times. Couldn't the updater directly download cutting edge ones so the game will directly restart in cutting edge state ?

Also it seams it's now impossible to play while being offline as the updater opens and says "An error occured. Check your internet connection." with cutting edge and... The updater loop restart a bunch of times the gives up on stable. So I broke it by being offline in stable maybe :P
Video :

You see it works online then I disconnect my wireless network and then it loop restart and gives up. No dll files were missing so I think the game should have started fine letting play offline in stable as it doesn't have to check if user is supporter.
Amelia
If try to change the frame limiter to anything while it is updating the game will close, tried doing it 3 times... always ended up in the same except for one time the process was still there but the game was nowhere to be seen.

This only happens when i try to manually change it from the options.. pressing F7 is fine.

EDIT: Oh.. I just noticed but it changed to OpenGL without me noticing.. it was because of that. Is this supposed to happen with OpenGL?
Zallius
Encountered a full crash instantly when clicking to 'a new update is available, click here' at the bottom of the main menu.

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: osu!.exe
Problem Signature 02: 0
Problem Signature 03: 5410396a
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 5265d021
Problem Signature 07: 3456
Problem Signature 08: 15a
Problem Signature 09: System.UnauthorizedAccess
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 3081

May or may not be of any use.
Dozy Van
My net speed took a dive as it does quite frequently I don't know maybe my ISP hates me. But when ever it does I would always have Osu! to fall back on. Even if it does not connect I can still have fun actually playing the game. But when my speed dropped to this

I can no longer get into the game to play offline. This will suck for us as we play in college and college blocks the port that Osu! works off of. So we always play offline in college as part of the computer society that I am running, trying to get people interested in the game and trying to jump start the Osu! community in Ireland cause c'mon its pretty freaking small =/

This just loops for ever. Goes to failed then re-trys. I have to keep restarting Osu! till my ping is low enough for it to send and get a response back from the server
Marcin
but osu works on same port as www does ...
Dozy Van

Marcin wrote:

but osu works on same port as www does ...
I can login submit scores and do all that when running hideman. With hideman off I can't do any of those things. =/
Topic Starter
peppy
This is a known issue and will be fixed before things go live (offline support).
Kon
Got this after trying to launch osu!

When i put it in the actual directory it worked perfectly. But when i re-opened the application it gave me that error.
show more