forum

Osu! Focus (Interface feature idea)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
R3DxFOX
Hello, I would first like to say that you will need access to Imgur to view the following pictures for this topic, I personally find Imgur reliable and easy to use, although I know that it is blocked in some countries.

Okay, so I have been playing osu for almost a year now and I've noticed that the interface has changed quite a bit. I think that the interface is nice and sleek (easy to use of course). But sometimes when viewing osu, when I go through menu's and such, I get distracted very easily from what's going on in the background. So my idea is to make an option where you can blur the background whilst browsing through menus. I first got this idea when I was looking around the settings for osu.

I call this osu! Focus. An optional interface modification. The aim of this idea is to make the user have an easier time focusing in-between menus and loading screens. Think about it as a filter, or a milk-glass window. You have your osu screen on the bottom - The filter in the middle - and the menu on top. A basic sandwich idea.

The way I set it up is; I used Gaussian blur in photoshop to determine that amount of focus(if you will). The lowest amount of focus would be 0x (focus disabled) and the highest would be 10x. The radius of the Gaussian blur is converted into the Focus multiplier - pixel(s) to times(x).

if Gaussian Radius = 10 pixels then Focus = 10x 

Here are some pictures at 1280x800 resolution (please excuse my bad photoshopping skills :oops: )
SPOILER
Album with all below

Settings Menu

Game-mode Menu

Mod Menu (Needs work - looks kind of weird, but the idea is there :) )

Beatmap Options Menu

Loading Screen

Pause Screen

I personally think that this looks kind of cool compared to without it, but the whole point of this feature is just an additional preference for ones who want it.

If you do like this idea, just let me know. It's just been on my mind for a bit.

- R3D
Oinari-sama
It certainly looks nice, but I don't know how much burden will this kind of effect put on the system.

A cheap alternative will be to dim the unfocused area instead of blurring; obviously it won't look as nice as your examples though...
Topic Starter
R3DxFOX

Oinari-sama wrote:

It certainly looks nice, but I don't know how much burden will this kind of effect put on the system.

A cheap alternative will be to dim the unfocused area instead of blurring; obviously it won't look as nice as your examples though...
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing too actually. It does seem like a lot of work for not that much. I don't know, it's just been poking my mind recently and I felt like it would be good to share ;)
Jesss
I love those softening effects, but this is so much...personally would like to see blurring on these scenarios:

-Settings menu: nope, the osu! main screen is beautiful, leave it as is.

-Game-Mode Menu: nope.

-Mod Menu: Interesting, but the BG needs to be dimmed.

-Beatmap Options Menu: same as above.

-Loading Screen: Needless, because in Select Music mode, the song background isn't using any filter and breaks the flow of the visual sequence.

-Pause Screen: same opinion as beatmap options and mod menu.

You forgot to mention the Post-failed scenario. Would be awesome after that "fainting" effect (those who uses Shader effects would know what i'm talking about)

Oinari-sama wrote:

Those Blur effects would be implemented (hypothetically) ONLY with Shader Effects and AFAIK Shaders are used by those who have a powerful computer.

**Note: edited "Pause Screen" point of view, for better understanding...
Topic Starter
R3DxFOX

Jesss wrote:

I love those softening effects, but this is so much...personally would like to see blurring on these scenarios:

-Settings menu: nope, the osu! main screen is beautiful, leave it as is.

-Game-Mode Menu: nope.

-Mod Menu: Interesting, but the BG needs to be dimmed.

-Beatmap Options Menu: same as above.

-Loading Screen: Needless, because in Select Music mode, the song background isn't using any filter and breaks the flow of the visual sequence.

-Pause Screen: same as beatmap options and mod menu.

You forgot to mention the Post-failed scenario. Would be awesome after that "fainting" effect (those who uses Shader effects would know what i'm talking about)

Oinari-sama wrote:

Those Blur effects would be implemented (hypothetically) ONLY with Shader Effects and AFAIK Shaders are used by those who have a powerful computer.
Thank you for checking this out! I realized blur+dim would be very cool actually. As of right now, the dim is set to 75%(ish) in general for the beatmap mods / options menu, which is good. It would be cool to see 50% dim + blur or even 30%. I don't know, but thanks for these nice ideas to improve this idea ;) Can I ask though, Why do you think that the pause screen shouldn't be blurred?Also your idea with the 'post-failed' sounds very interesting. Thank you.
Jesss

R3DxFOX wrote:

Thank you for checking this out! I realized blur+dim would be very cool actually. As of right now, the dim is set to 75%(ish) in general for the beatmap mods / options menu, which is good. It would be cool to see 50% dim + blur or even 30%. I don't know, but thanks for these nice ideas to improve this idea ;) Can I ask though, Why do you think that the pause screen shouldn't be blurred?Also your idea with the 'post-failed' sounds very interesting. Thank you.
Well...you misread part of my post...i said i agree with adding blur + dim on pause menu...but i was lazy to write the same again and again. However i edited my original post for better understanding ^^"
Topic Starter
R3DxFOX

Jesss wrote:

R3DxFOX wrote:

Well...you misread part of my post...i said i agree with adding blur + dim on pause menu...but i was lazy to write the same again and again. However i edited my original post for better understanding ^^"
Haha, sorry I must have been really tired last night and did indeed misread your post. Thanks for correcting me on that ;