forum

So I would like to buy a new osu! table.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SolarFrost_old
As the title says, I would like to buy a new osu! tablet. My birthday is coming up and I decided I wanted a tablet. However I do not know which model to get and was leaning towards the idea of the osu!tablet but those are not getting replaced ;-;. So its up to you guys to help me on which model I should get! I thank you in advanced for helping me decide. <3 <3
[Bystander]
Wacom CTL480
[ Nana ]
My friend owns one of those osu!tablets, he's pretty happy with it. And they're relatively cheap, too. Myself I'm using a Wacom Bamboo (CTH-301K if you're curious, bought it for 37 pounds so around $60), didn't have comparison to any others but I really like it. Frankly, I bought the Wacom one only because the osu!tablets were out of stock (and as I can see they still are).
cheezstik
At first I thought the osu / huion tablet wouldn't be a problem for just osu but I heard that the pen needs replaceable batteries, which affects the weight. It seems like that would slow down jumps, which definitely makes it seem like a bad choice. In comparison, my tablet pen which never needs to have batteries replaced is probably lighter than a single battery itself.

I've never used any tablet other than the wacom bamboo though, so that's just my speculation. I have the green wacom bamboo tablet btw, they seem to be discontinued and replaced with the intuos line, which are pretty similar, if not slightly better, for the same price ($70-$200usd depending on tablet size and if you buy it online / in store, buy the smallest size if it's just for osu)
Gumpy

cheezstik wrote:

At first I thought the osu / huion tablet wouldn't be a problem for just osu but I heard that the pen needs replaceable batteries.
Because one AAA battery adds so much weight it's unbearable. >_>
If you can't lift a AAA battery you need some training.
The battery also lasts like a year before it needs replacing.
cheezstik

Gumpyyy wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

At first I thought the osu / huion tablet wouldn't be a problem for just osu but I heard that the pen needs replaceable batteries.
Because one AAA battery adds so much weight it's unbearable. >_>
If you can't lift a AAA battery you need some training.
The battery also lasts like a year before it needs replacing.
m8 how much u bench?

On a srs note, look at it in terms of comparison, obviously the pen with the batteries isn't heavy, but it's probably around 2-3x heavier than a wacom pen, which means it would at least have a negative effect on aim.

But hey, if you would rather save some money and go for the cheaper tablet, then do it and live with the negative impact, I know I would. Same with people that don't want to buy a tablet at all, they have to live with mouse. I know for sure I wouldn't have bought a tablet cos I'm too cheap, if I didn't have one given to me then I would still be on mouse now and be a lot worse.

If you want optimal performance then get a wacom.
Top Bunk

cheezstik wrote:

m8 how much u bench?

On a srs note, look at it in terms of comparison, obviously the pen with the batteries isn't heavy, but it's probably around 2-3x heavier than a wacom pen, which means it would at least have a negative effect on aim.

But hey, if you would rather save some money and go for the cheaper tablet, then do it and live with the negative impact, I know I would. Same with people that don't want to buy a tablet at all, they have to live with mouse. I know for sure I wouldn't have bought a tablet cos I'm too cheap, if I didn't have one given to me then I would still be on mouse now and be a lot worse.

Reading this as I'm spinning my osu!tablet pen on my thumb.

Anyways, I don't see how there can be any negative effect. You can't even tell there's a battery in the pen it's so light. If it was any lighter, I may as well be using a feather instead. So that 2-3x heavier is rather off. Unless you're playing with an invisible pen.
Gumpy
Basically if you feel weight from a single AAA battery you should get help.
cheezstik

SlasherZX wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

m8 how much u bench?

Reading this as I'm spinning my osu!tablet pen on my thumb.

Anyways, I don't see how there can be any negative effect. You can't even tell there's a battery in the pen it's so light. If it was any lighter, I may as well be using a feather instead. So that 2-3x heavier is rather off. Unless you're playing with an invisible pen.
Just checked the wacom site, the weight of the wacom pen is 11 grams, while the weight of an aaa battery ranges from 7-15g. Add that to the weight of the pen itself, which has to be bigger so it can fit the battery itself, and that equals around 2-3x the weight of the standalone wacom pen.

Gumpyyy wrote:

Wait so you could be holding a aaa battery in your hand and not be able to tell at all? Sounds like some pretty messed up skin or nerve sensitivity problems dude, maybe you should get that checked out? If you get it fixed maybe it would improve your rank D:
Top Bunk

cheezstik wrote:

Just checked the wacom site, the weight of the wacom pen is 11 grams, while the weight of an aaa battery ranges from 7-15g. Add that to the weight of the pen itself, which has to be bigger so it can fit the battery itself, and that equals around 2-3x the weight of the standalone wacom pen.
You're implying the wacom pen is the same weight as the huion pen without the battery. Don't wacom pens use a "NiMH" rechargeable battery anyways? Sure, it may weigh several grams less than an AAA battery, but it's still there. So averaging the weight of an AAA battery to 11g (because an 8 gram difference between similar batteries just sounds silly), we could probably make it like a 6-8g difference with the pens with the huion's AAA battery included. Either way, if you can tell a difference by the grams, you may need to see a doctor about hyper sensitive skin and nerves.

Besides, I don't see how any of this factors into playability. It shouldn't affect skill in the slightest, even aim in which you so claim.
dennischan
I thought this was about a table for playing osu.
alas it it was not so
cheezstik

SlasherZX wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

You're implying the wacom pen is the same weight as the huion pen without the battery. Don't wacom pens use a "NiMH" rechargeable battery anyways? Sure, it may weigh several grams less than an AAA battery, but it's still there. So averaging the weight of an AAA battery to 11g (because an 8 gram difference between similar batteries just sounds silly), we could probably make it like a 6-8g difference with the pens with the huion's AAA battery included. Either way, if you can tell a difference by the grams, you may need to see a doctor about hyper sensitive skin and nerves.

Besides, I don't see how any of this factors into playability. It shouldn't affect skill in the slightest, even aim in which you so claim.
Go ahead, argue and delude yourself as much as you want, but the fact is that the tablet is half the price, and have you ever heard the saying, "you get what you pay for"? That and also that the fact that the majority of top players use wacom.

Don't worry though, I would've bought the huion if I had to buy a tablet, cos I'm cheap like that. The only difference between you and me is I wouldn't be delusional and try to tell everyone that it's the same thing and has no disadvantages whatsoever ;).
Fetish
That's new. I didn't know peppy sold osu! Tables. I would want one.
buny

cheezstik wrote:

At first I thought the osu / huion tablet wouldn't be a problem for just osu but I heard that the pen needs replaceable batteries, which affects the weight. It seems like that would slow down jumps
Dumbest thing I've read today
Gumpy

cheezstik wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

Wait so you could be holding a aaa battery in your hand and not be able to tell at all? Sounds like some pretty messed up skin or nerve sensitivity problems dude, maybe you should get that checked out? If you get it fixed maybe it would improve your rank D:
15-20 grams or whatever the weight it has is not very noticeable. For a regular person it is not a noticeable difference. (Unlike me who has messed up skin nerves apperantly) >_>
Generic Loli
Well, I've only ever used a wacom tablet so I can't really give you a review/opinion on the osu!tablet. I think it only really comes down to if you're going to use it outside of osu or not.
nrl

cheezstik wrote:

"you get what you pay for"? That and also that the fact that the majority of top players use wacom.
Huion tablets outspec their Wacom counterparts. Most top players use Wacom because Huion isn't very well known and Wacom is, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with the quality of their tablets.
ivan
x
Top Bunk

cheezstik wrote:

Go ahead, argue and delude yourself as much as you want, but the fact is that the tablet is half the price, and have you ever heard the saying, "you get what you pay for"? That and also that the fact that the majority of top players use wacom.

Don't worry though, I would've bought the huion if I had to buy a tablet, cos I'm cheap like that. The only difference between you and me is I wouldn't be delusional and try to tell everyone that it's the same thing and has no disadvantages whatsoever ;).
I still see absolutely no evidence to support your claim. There really is no disadvantage and it's merely a matter of preference. Stop being such a wacom fanboy. The only reason wacom costs more is because it's a popular top brand name without much competition, not because of the specs alone.
Much delusion. Such loser. Wow.
cheezstik

SlasherZX wrote:

I still see absolutely no evidence to support your claim. There really is no disadvantage and it's merely a matter of preference. Stop being such a wacom fanboy. The only reason wacom costs more is because it's a popular top brand name without much competition, not because of the specs alone.
Much delusion. Such loser. Wow.
Wacom fanboy? Did you see the part where I said if I were to buy a tablet with my money I would buy a huion. What I'm trying to say here is there isn't 0 disadvantage to it. I bet you also don't buy Apple products and tell everyone how cool and hipster you are because you use Android and how much better it is. I already provided you enough evidence didn't I? You're the one spouting assumed bullshit here:

SlasherZX wrote:

Don't wacom pens use a "NiMH" rechargeable battery anyways? Sure, it may weigh several grams less than an AAA battery, but it's still there. So averaging the weight of an AAA battery to 11g (because an 8 gram difference between similar batteries just sounds silly), we could probably make it like a 6-8g difference with the pens with the huion's AAA battery included.
There is no rechargeable battery in wacom pens, or a battery at all for that matter, you never have to charge it or replace anything except the nibs if you drag too hard and need to use it to click. So it is roughly 2-3x lighter than the pen of huions. More weight = More resistance, making jumps and overall movement slower.

Also, nice doge, real funny and original, that just told me something about your age / maturity and why you can't seem to let this argument you started go.
chainpullz
You guys talk as if a heavier pen is a bad thing. Strictly speaking if you have any sort of contact between your tablet and pen then a heavier pen will create more friction thus making it easier to snap back and forth motions since the added friction force will help counteract the momentum.

Note that a similar effect is created simply by dragging harder.
nrl

cheezstik wrote:

More weight = More resistance, making jumps and overall movement slower.
This is not a universal truth, and even if it were you're ignoring the fact that the weight of the pen is almost completely insubstantial to begin with.
Top Bunk

cheezstik wrote:

Wacom fanboy? Did you see the part where I said if I were to buy a tablet with my money I would buy a huion. What I'm trying to say here is there isn't 0 disadvantage to it. I bet you also don't buy Apple products and tell everyone how cool and hipster you are because you use Android and how much better it is. I already provided you enough evidence didn't I? You're the one spouting assumed bullshit here.
You're defending wacom like a fanboy is all I meant. Just because you like to be cheap doesn't mean anything. Also, I don't care if people do use wacom, because it's their choice. There's just absolutely no reason to say there's a disadvantage to huion when there really isn't. I also don't care if people use Apple products because again, it's their choice and I at least respect that. I myself prefer to avoid Apple products, but whatever works best for others isn't something I can argue. What I can argue though is if people are giving falsified info about "disadvantages" like you are.
Also, I still see no valid evidence. So don't assume something you said is valid when it's not.

cheezstik wrote:

There is no rechargeable battery in wacom pens, or a battery at all for that matter, you never have to charge it or replace anything except the nibs if you drag too hard and need to use it to click. So it is roughly 2-3x lighter than the pen of huions. More weight = More resistance, making jumps and overall movement slower.

Also, nice doge, real funny and original, that just told me something about your age / maturity and why you can't seem to let this argument you started go.
Alright, I guess I looked up a different wacom model from yours that does use rechargeable batteries when looking into it. Big whoop. The difference is still so miniscule that if you really end up doing so bad all of a sudden from an 11 gram weight increase, then you need to start working out more or see a doctor about a muscle deficiency.

You're also not letting this argument go. Hypocritical much? And I don't see what age matters or how maturity is determined by a joke. I may only be 22, but it's better than you being a 12 year old. See, I can do it too.
cheezstik

SlasherZX wrote:

You're defending wacom like a fanboy is all I meant. Just because you like to be cheap doesn't mean anything. Also, I don't care if people do use wacom, because it's their choice. There's just absolutely no reason to say there's a disadvantage to huion when there really isn't. I also don't care if people use Apple products because again, it's their choice and I at least respect that. I myself prefer to avoid Apple products, but whatever works best for others isn't something I can argue. What I can argue though is if people are giving falsified info about "disadvantages" like you are.
Also, I still see no valid evidence. So don't assume something you said is valid when it's not.

Alright, I guess I looked up a different wacom model from yours that does use rechargeable batteries when looking into it. Big whoop. The difference is still so miniscule that if you really end up doing so bad all of a sudden from an 11 gram weight increase, then you need to start working out more or see a doctor about a muscle deficiency.

You're also not letting this argument go. Hypocritical much? And I don't see what age matters or how maturity is determined by a joke. I may only be 22, but it's better than you being a 12 year old. See, I can do it too.
There, I bolded it for you, you said it yourself. That difference is the disadvantage I'm talking about, it is there. And like I said before, don't look at the increase in absolute value, look at it in terms of comparison. The pen got ~100-200% heavier, meaning there is ~100-200% more resistance, while it still doesn't seem like much in terms of how heavy it actually is, because obviously a new born baby could carry 22 grams with his pinkie, but I'm sure the difference is noticeable, cos when I hold my pen sure it's light, but I can still feel it, I can still feel that is a solid object with weight. A huion pen would feel like a slightly heavier object, and that slight heaviness could mean the difference between being able to make a cross map jump at 200 bpm or 205 bpm. So with a huion pen, I might not necessarily drop down to say, your level or something that major, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a positive effect.

Not only that, but there are more disadvantages to the huion other than the weight, so regardless of all I said, there is still a point of paying the extra money for a better tablet. Two that I can name are the not having to replace a battery, and the bigger tablet area.

Also, yes, there are some pretty immature jokes and shit you can say that would make someone associate you with being immature.
Mathsma
The Wacom is smaller than a similarly priced Huion. I don't know of any other major differences for osu! from the Huion and Wacom other than the pen battery.
nrl

cheezstik wrote:

Not only that, but there are more disadvantages to the huion other than the weight
Ignoring the fact that many players claim to prefer the higher weight, you'll have to state the other disadvantages if you want them to be taken seriously. No one's even brought up the fact that the Huions support raw input yet, and that's a pretty important advantage.
cheezstik

Narrill wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

Not only that, but there are more disadvantages to the huion other than the weight
Ignoring the fact that many players claim to prefer the higher weight, you'll have to state the other disadvantages if you want them to be taken seriously. No one's even brought up the fact that the Huions support raw input yet, and that's a pretty important advantage.
Literally right after the sentence you quoted:

cheezstik wrote:

Two that I can name are the not having to replace a battery, and the bigger tablet area.
Also, with raw input, that doesn't allow you to set corners that your tablet area ends at am I right? So it's not necessarily for everyone.
Top Bunk
Not gonna bother quoting the post otherwise it'll just keep going in circles.
Just gonna say that the human body naturally adapts to things. The pen doesn't control you or your drag/hover. You control the pen. As soon as your hand realizes you're holding something 11 (or w/e) grams heavier than the previous pen, your hand will adjust to the pen and you'd still have just as equal control over it.

Don't forget that osu! is also a mental game though. So if you go in relying on the pen itself rather than your own skill, then of course you would do poorly because you expect to do worse in the first place, and thus you will subconsciously. If you go in and play at your best with your own skill though, then there should be absolutely no difference in your skill.
cheezstik

SlasherZX wrote:

Not gonna bother quoting the post otherwise it'll just keep going in circles.
Just gonna say that the human body naturally adapts to things. The pen doesn't control you or your drag/hover. You control the pen. As soon as your hand realizes you're holding something 11 (or w/e) grams heavier than the previous pen, your hand will adjust to the pen and you'd still have just as equal control over it.

Don't forget that osu! is also a mental game though. So if you go in relying on the pen itself rather than your own skill, then of course you would do poorly because you expect to do worse in the first place, and thus you will subconsciously. If you go in and play at your best with your own skill though, then there should be absolutely no difference in your skill.
I can somewhat agree with you there, except for this part:

SlasherZX wrote:

...your hand will adjust to the pen and you'd still have just as equal control over it.
If I went to play osu on a shitty $300 laptop with its flat laptop keyboard and a tiny wireless mouse, touchpad, or even touchscreen, I know I would definitely be worse. Sure, I would eventually get used to it, but I don't think I would get 100% as good as I was with my computer. I might still have my reading skills and sense of accuracy / rhythm / coordination, but the laptop keyboard would definitely not let me play as well as I would on my keyboard, no matter how long I have to get used to it, just like the mouse / touchpad / touchscreen wouldn't let me play as well as I would on my tablet.

Now while this doesn't necessarily apply to everyone, lets say a regular keyboard let me stream at 250bpm. The laptop keys take longer to go back up or reset, making it take longer overall to press and let go off. This difference might make me stream less, at like 230bpm for example.
Noobsicle
but an 11 gram difference in the pen isn't as significant as playing on 30fps as opposed to 240fps+, or on a wireless mouse as opposed to tablet
i mean shit its only 11 grams

scissor switches reset faster than rubber domes because of their lower profile (actuation at 2mm, compared to standard rubber domes at ~4mm), so technically you should be able to stream faster on a laptop keyboard
nrl

cheezstik wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

Two that I can name are the not having to replace a battery, and the bigger tablet area.
Also, with raw input, that doesn't allow you to set corners that your tablet area ends at am I right? So it's not necessarily for everyone.
The battery isn't relevant to gameplay, and the tablet areas are essentially identical. You're arguing beyond the bounds of reason with that one.

As for raw input, I have no idea. Depends whether the tablet area is set at the firmware level or the software level, and I would put money on the former given that Wacom tablet areas persist without the provided software running.
cheezstik

Narrill wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

The battery isn't relevant to gameplay, and the tablet areas are essentially identical. You're arguing beyond the bounds of reason with that one.

As for raw input, I have no idea. Depends whether the tablet area is set at the firmware level or the software level, and I would put money on the former given that Wacom tablet areas persist without the provided software running.
Active areas are 4.17 x 2.34 inches vs 6 x 3.7 inches according to their officials websites. That's a 43% increase horizontally and a 58% increase vertically, maybe we have different definitions of "essentially identical"?

Also, just googled the raw input thing, it makes it so that your tablets full area can only navigate the window of osu, forcing you to play full area. I already know from the thread we posted in a while back that you play full area, so that might be convenient for you, but according this tablet area thread, on average, it would be inconvenient to a lot more people than it would be convenient to. Not to mention the fact that raw input won't give much advantage for tablet anyway, since there is no acceleration on tablet since it is absolute positioning.
Top Bunk

cheezstik wrote:

I can somewhat agree with you there, except for this part:

SlasherZX wrote:

...your hand will adjust to the pen and you'd still have just as equal control over it.
If I went to play osu on a shitty $300 laptop with its flat laptop keyboard and a tiny wireless mouse, touchpad, or even touchscreen, I know I would definitely be worse. Sure, I would eventually get used to it, but I don't think I would get 100% as good as I was with my computer. I might still have my reading skills and sense of accuracy / rhythm / coordination, but the laptop keyboard would definitely not let me play as well as I would on my keyboard, no matter how long I have to get used to it, just like the mouse / touchpad / touchscreen wouldn't let me play as well as I would on my tablet.

Now while this doesn't necessarily apply to everyone, lets say a regular keyboard let me stream at 250bpm. The laptop keys take longer to go back up or reset, making it take longer overall to press and let go off. This difference might make me stream less, at like 230bpm for example.
Keyboard/Mouse =/= Tablet pen. With keyboards you're stuck having to abide by the switches you have and some keyboards will work better than others.
As for mouse, that's a different play style entirely. Though it is possible to get back to your skill level with one, it would just take a much longer time and lots of adjustment. Preference has a lot to play with that though.

Also to note, I have used a Wacom tablet before at a friend's house for osu!. Considering I'm normally a laptop player while laying down in a bed, I had to adjust to sitting position, larger monitor, different keyboard, and the Wacom tablet at the same time. Though after 10 minutes of adjusting to all that at once, I was playing on par with how I've always played. The tablet being the easiest to get used to, despite the different area set. The pen was an instant adjustment for me though and I really could not even tell the difference.
nrl

cheezstik wrote:

Active areas are 4.17 x 2.34 inches vs 6 x 3.7 inches according to their officials websites. That's a 43% increase horizontally and a 58% increase vertically, maybe we have different definitions of "essentially identical"?
You should be looking at the 540, not the 420.

cheezstik wrote:

Also, just googled the raw input thing, it makes it so that your tablets full area can only navigate the window of osu, forcing you to play full area. I already know from the thread we posted in a while back that you play full area, so that might be convenient for you, but according this tablet area thread, on average, it would be inconvenient to a lot more people than it would be convenient to. Not to mention the fact that raw input won't give much advantage for tablet anyway, since there is no acceleration on tablet since it is absolute positioning.
I can't comment on the impact of raw input on area, but I will say that the aim of raw input on a tablet isn't to reduce acceleration, it's to reduce input lag, and in theory it would reduce input lag by a few milliseconds.
cheezstik

SlasherZX wrote:

Keyboard/Mouse =/= Tablet pen. With keyboards you're stuck having to abide by the switches you have and some keyboards will work better than others.
As for mouse, that's a different play style entirely. Though it is possible to get back to your skill level with one, it would just take a much longer time and lots of adjustment. Preference has a lot to play with that though.

Also to note, I have used a Wacom tablet before at a friend's house for osu!. Considering I'm normally a laptop player while laying down in a bed, I had to adjust to sitting position, larger monitor, different keyboard, and the Wacom tablet at the same time. Though after 10 minutes of adjusting to all that at once, I was playing on par with how I've always played. The tablet being the easiest to get used to, despite the different area set. The pen was an instant adjustment for me though and I really could not even tell the difference.
Well the point I was trying to make is, in the end it does create some limits. While you could get used to it, at the absolute peak it will still make a difference. Basic physics shows that while exerting max momentum from your hand or fingers or whatever, you could move 11 grams faster than you could move 22 grams.

Narrill wrote:

You should be looking at the 540, not the 420.
Well with the 540, that's kinda irrelevant since if we go back to my original post;

cheezstik wrote:

At first I thought the osu / huion tablet...
I did mention that I was talking about the osu tablet, or the tablet it is based on, the huion 420. I've been talking about this same tablet the whole time.

Narrill wrote:

I can't comment on the impact of raw input on area, but I will say that the aim of raw input on a tablet isn't to reduce acceleration, it's to reduce input lag, and in theory it would reduce input lag by a few milliseconds.
Also, with raw input, I'm sure most people would rather have their area size customizable than a couple less milliseconds of input lag, seems like a profitable trade-off to me. We're not all as lucky as you to be able to play well full area, but yeah, I guess the extra milliseconds shaved off input lag are an advantage if you play full area.
B1rd
I don't think there is an osu! table, I'd buy one if there was.
nrl

cheezstik wrote:

Basic physics shows that while exerting max momentum from your hand or fingers or whatever, you could move 11 grams faster than you could move 22 grams.
That's a gross oversimplification of the scenario.

cheezstik wrote:

I did mention that I was talking about the osu tablet, or the tablet it is based on, the huion 420. I've been talking about this same tablet the whole time.
That's nice, but the only difference between the 420 and the 540 is the active area, and the 540 is the counterpart to the Intuos, not the 420. If anything I'd argue you were misguided in restricting your argument to the 420.

cheezstik wrote:

We're not all as lucky as you to be able to play well full area, but yeah, I guess the extra milliseconds shaved off input lag are an advantage if you play full area.
Are you really trying to guilt me into ceding by reducing my area preference to luck? Try again.
show more