forum

My parents made a deal with me

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sylveon
OK, im off to Uni in a week, and i calculated my rent to be around £5,300 a year, my student loan is £3,400 a year leaving alot to be covered. I want to get a job at Uni to cover this and well I need money for food, clothes, going out.... etc.. My parents weren't willing (to begin with) to aid me financially however, whilst we were in the car talking they suddenly said

'if you don't take your computer/xbox/gamecube/3ds/ to Uni we will pay the extra £2,000 for your rent, every year at uni'.

obviously this means I can't play osu.... a game I have come to love almost as much as tap tap revenge (I began to play osu 4 months ago as a replacement for tap tap revenge since my ipod died (previous ipod) which had ttr on it... you cannot dl ttr from itunes as its been removed) and I really feel that I want to continue to get better at Osu.. I played tap tap revenge for 5 years.. the only reason i stopped was because my tech died on me.

I have chosen to accept their 'offer' on the grounds of well, i could use that 2k every year... it would help SO FREAKING MUCH and besides, if I said no, I'm sure that they would find away to not allow me to take my tech to uni anyway.

what do you guys think, it wont change my decision but I want to hear some opinions on this 'deal' oh and my friend suggested osu for android (since il be taking my ipod) is it a worth replacement or should I not bother
Gumpy
Xbox/gamecube/3ds: pointless, computer: essential. I would just bring my computer and do some work on the side tbh.
Also aren't you supposed to have a computer at uni? Over here Norwayyou have to have one as far as i understand.
Cerulean Veyron
Just take the computer, and yes, accept that deal with force :3

Accept the offer > Don't play during uni life > Get the money > Buy the things you need > Buy me, too > Boom, you've made your goal o3o/
/me runs
silmarilen
good luck surviving university without computer (protip: you cant)
there is so much that requires you to use a computer that you just cant study without having one.
Kaona
I think it's highly unfair they won't let you take your Computer to university when you need to be able to use one.

Everything else I think is reasonable but try and negotiate with them to let you take your Computer.
Shohei Ohtani
Just become a music major, I literally didn't have time for any of that.

You can make it by without your own personal computer depending on the services offered at the school. My laptop broke last november and I went all of 2nd semester with just my phone, sometimes using my friend's laptop to do homework, and utilizing the computer lab we had.
benjanyan
-
Topic Starter
Sylveon

benjanyan wrote:

Well I've not long graduated with a first class honours and I have no idea how you'd survive without spending some time unwinding and doing things you enjoy. You'll crash and burn if you don't balance it out. Work hard, play hard.

I assume your parents just want you to do well and not get too distracted but that sounds a little extreme and possibly counter-productive to me. Then again, I don't know you or them at all.

Also your rent seems high...
oxford brooks £148 week (catered sometimes i.e breakfest/dinner)
Topic Starter
Sylveon
hmm ok il try.... but its osu that they hate mainly so the computer was the main thing they wanted to to not use.. so im not sure how it will go.. i use a tablet so maybe i say i leave my tablet and pen (no osu) but take computer
Kouya-
You can always make up those excuses. Though, I'm not sure if your parents would except that since I don't know them. But, I think the computer is something you'll really really need in university, since you need to do researching and other stuff, and the xbox/3ds/ps3 or whatever is understandable to not bring.

So, I'd fight for the computer, even though they said that they hate osu the most, you can always just tell them that you need it for school use only or something along those lines. If you want to bring your tablet, you can always just say it's for art class or something, I don't know xDD

But, good luck ~
Mashley
Seems very unreasonable of your parents to expect you to go to uni with no PC. Those student loans are done with the expectation that parents will be helping you, as people whose parents have lower incomes get a higher loan and even a free grant. I'm going to uni myself next week and had to buy a laptop as I would not be able to study properly without one. Of course the uni will have their own IT systems but those will only have limited availability and you will want to be able to work at night and such. However ultimately if your parents just won't listen then there's not much you can do. Best of luck with the whole thing.
piruchan

silmarilen wrote:

good luck surviving university without computer (protip: you cant)
there is so much that requires you to use a computer that you just cant study without having one.
^This. I've been in university for only two weeks, and I can't imagine what would happen when my laptop dies.

Is it possible for you to get a laptop? It doesn't have to be high end, something with intel core i3 should be enough for university and osu!
Virus_old_1
Use the money to buy a laptop. ;)
Trash Boat
man your situation sucks. sucks with caption S. You should be able to do whatever you want, it's your life after all. Besides, I think you could afford the rent, if you get a job. And that doesn't seem to be that far away.
benjanyan
-
Vuelo Eluko
grab an old netbook for like 100 bucks, you can't go wrong with a netbook.
AutoMedic
Bringing your console is kinda unacceptable dude

But keep negotiating for the computer. I swear to god you'll need it
akitoApocalypse
Easiest way:
Show your parents your epic grades and ask them to give back the electronics.
If they don't, there's something wrong with them.

osu! for android is ok, but it's hard to see the other hit circles, and it's just not the same as the computer...but it's worth a shot.

Maybe get a cheap computer or somethin, since my computer gets at least 100 fps with only a nvidia geforce 8800 and 6gbs of ram (Idk how ram even help s in gaming, it barely does anything for me)
But just try and negotiate it with your parents.
AR10 Only

Sonatora wrote:

Bringing your console is kinda unacceptable dude

But keep negotiating for the computer. I swear to god you'll need it

I wouldn't say better ;)
Lolzy
Who needs a console when you got a pc
PC GAMING MASTER RACE
KinkiN
nice bump guys. OP's gone because he can't bring his PC maybe
Jarby
This thread is so old that he's already graduated
Trash Boat
can you graduate in 1 month?
Kouya-

Trash Boat wrote:

can you graduate in 1 month?
Probably .
Topic Starter
Sylveon
update*

my parents got me a laptop for uni... ive been at uni a month now and I still find time to waste doing other things regardless of the fact I can't play osu or any other games for that matter..... I've decided to buy another tablet without telling my parents since I think its unfair and that I can find a balance.. however I still don't have a keyboard so using my crappy laptop one will have to do till further notice.
Trash Boat
It's nice to see that you could manage through it, at least a bit.
Alucard
Sylveon, this is your dad.

You.Are.Busted.
Gumpy

Alucard wrote:

You.Are.Busted.
I doubt it.
Trash Boat

Alucard wrote:

You.Are.Busted.
hahahaha omg
Topic Starter
Sylveon
I broke sorry :(
Trash Boat
heh? you broke what?
Gumpy
What is broke?
Kouya-
You're broke ?
Topic Starter
Sylveon
as in I broke concentration, I broke my concentration to forget about/not play osu....I broke my osu fast of a whole month xD
show more