forum

[Archived] osu! fails to create a song list from my Songs folder

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
puncia
I recently switched Windows account (deleting my old one) due to a problem I had with another application. Since then, osu! can't create a song list (here's a screenshot of what I get, having ~10k folders inside my Songs one).

As you can see there are like10 maps listed, and each of them is corrupted (map info in the top-left corner) and unplayable.

I have tried several times refreshing with F5 with no results (sometimes I do get a bunch of maps named "\\"; whenever I click them, map processing starts again). I did try to delete every file in my osu folder besides osume.exe and my Songs folder, to start fresh (I thought osu!.db was causing troubles) with no results.

I really have a lot of songs, so I would like to avoid deleting all of them (I believe the problem is not there).
drum drum
Did you not properly transfer your map data to your new windows account? >_>
Topic Starter
puncia
Do I need to transfer any data at all when I switch accounts?
Eni
Try moving the folders in batches (i.e: not all at once)? It should work considering folders are just extracted .osz files.

-
Topic Starter
puncia
The thing is I believe I do not need to move any folder. Songs folder is in my osu! installation folder, which is independent from every Windows user.
Eni
Have you already tried moving the folders in batches? There could be a specific beatmap causing the error.
Topic Starter
puncia
Could you tell me where do I need to move my songs?
Arnold0
It's possible it's a permission issue. Does it works if you run osu! as administrator ? If yes it's definitly a permission issue and you need to change ownership of all the files in the song folder to your new account.
Eni
<osu! install location>\Songs\
drum drum
No, it's not a permission issue. I've already done this to myself.

You need to save your current maps from the windows account that worked, and move or copy them onto a filesharing device (like a flashdrive).
Topic Starter
puncia

drum drum wrote:

No, it's not a permission issue. I've already done this to myself.

You need to save your current maps from the windows account that worked, and move or copy them onto a filesharing device (like a flashdrive).
You are right, it's not. I just tried running osu! as administrator and the problem persists.
But please, be more specific about this "moving maps" thing, because I already said I don't need to move any map.

In my old Windows account (which is now deleted) osu was reading maps from C:\Program Files (x86)\osu!\Songs, its installation folder.
Now that I have a new Windows account, on the same computer, osu is STILL reading maps from the SAME location, C:\Program Files (x86)\osu!\Songs.
drum drum
Yeah, it will do that, but the required information will be incorrect and they will not be read.
You will need to move, yes, move, your maps from one account to another.
The only account they can be read on is the one you originated from. I believe all you have to do is redownload the songs if possible.

After I made a new windows account I immediately switched back to the old (since it had no problems), so I'm not sure if it will work or not.
GabBOT
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Shivarion
save your songs file ->delete osu! folder ->download osu! installer ->install it ->move back your songs file