forum

[Guideline] Slider Border Color

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
popner
When skinning gameplay elements, complete sets of elements must be skinned. For instance, if you skin hitcircles, you must include a hitcircle.png, hitcircleoverlay.png, approachcircle.png, and a slider border color (this can be done by adding the line "SliderBorder: 255,255,255" (using RGB values) under the [Colours] section of each .osu file). The same logic applies to hitbursts, cursors, numbers, and anything else of this nature. If you didn't intend to skin an element in the set, then using the templateskin's version is okay. Setting a SkinPreference is also acceptable (e.g. forcing the default skin).
A preciser explanation should be:

When skinning gameplay elements, complete sets of elements must be skinned. For instance, if you skin hitcircles, you must include a hitcircle.png, hitcircleoverlay.png, approachcircle.png, and the same slider border color as the hitcircle border color (this can be done by adding the line "SliderBorder: R,G,B" (using RGB decimal values) under the [Colours] section of each .osu file). The same logic applies to hitbursts, cursors, numbers, and anything else of this nature. If you didn't intend to skin an element in the set, then using the templateskin's version is okay. Setting a SkinPreference is also acceptable (e.g. forcing the default skin).
Garven
We don't want to limit it to the same color though. I think that due to fewer mappers including custom skin files in maps, people have forgotten to check this small detail when getting through the nitty gritty of the ranking procedure.
jonathanlfj
would be great if this is integrated in AIMod checks
so maybe we could have a feature request?
Topic Starter
popner
@Garven Generally the same color should be used, according to all old examples we have dealt with. The different color does not match each other and the slider looks weird.
Aqo
Colors is a preference thing and I'm sure it's possible to design a skin that looks good without sticking to the same colors.

Instead of putting restrictions, simply put a reminder, "when applying custom skins, take into account all of the following elements [...]" to make sure things won't be overlooked in the mix of some elements from a custom skin and some others from a players' non-default skin.
Wafu

popner wrote:

@Garven Generally the same color should be used, according to all old examples we have dealt with. The different color does not match each other and the slider looks weird.
I would say there are some skins which would conflict in this. This really depends on design. It is same as picking combo colors - if fits, keep - if doesn't, change.
Topic Starter
popner
Ok. So make it a guideline:

SliderBorder color should be same as hitcircle border color if hitcircle set is skinned.This can be done by adding the line "SliderBorder: R,G,B" (using RGB decimal values) under the [Colours] section of each .osu file.
and rule explanation change:

When skinning gameplay elements, complete sets of elements must be skinned. For instance, if you skin hitcircles, you must include a hitcircle.png, hitcircleoverlay.png, approachcircle.png, and a slider border color(this can be done by adding the line "SliderBorder: 255,255,255" (using RGB values) under the [Colours] section of each .osu file). The same logic applies to hitbursts, cursors, numbers, and anything else of this nature. If you didn't intend to skin an element in the set, then using the templateskin's version is okay. Setting a SkinPreference is also acceptable (e.g. forcing the default skin).
People always forget to check this, or check but simply ask the mapper to add pure white sliderborder. This is why we need this in RC.
Wafu
Now I can agree. If the same color is guideline, it will allow mapper to use common sense. Mostly, the same color as hitcirlce will fit, but there are cases of skins it doesn't, so this will solve every case. :)
Lust
Seems like a solid consensus was reached but nothing was done about this. Clear up some of the ambiguity of this thread (provide a solid wording) and I'll proceed to bubble/flame this depending on the outcome.

Giving this a week.
Lust
Not much was done here in the way of a discussion within the given week. Give me a poke if you wish to revive this discussion. Flaming for now.