forum

FPS Settings

posted
Total Posts
show more
Blaizer
I play on 60FPS. Anything higher feels laggy. No point playing any higher because my monitor is 60Hz anyway, and I don't care too much about having perfect accuracy.
Vuelo Eluko
[TIM]
I play on unlimited during gameplay.. I get around 1200 fps during gameplay and 120 fps during song selection. Even with that, my CPU and GPU are hardly put to work.
Tear
1000 / framerate = your input lag.

60fps = 16ms lag
240fps = 4ms lag

Timing window for 300g is 16ms.
That's why I find the game unplayable below 240fps.
Blaizer
I disagree. The game is very playable at 60fps.
Fullerene-
i have to use unlimited because i start to notice some choppiness and general lag at anything below ~200 fps. longer songs usually lag more (~150-180 fps)

if i accidentally press f7 or something and change it to 120 fps limit it's so laggy that i can barely keep my accuracy lol
Topic Starter
Silver Sky
Thanks for the reply guys.
Anyway, I've met several people who played at 60 and 120 fps. They have a habit to press the keys earlier so they have no problem with it :)
Tear
Having to press keys earlier means less time to react...
Matader
Hit position + global offset = dreams come true
Full Tablet
The issue with low fps is not just lag, stability of the inputs also matter. (Average lags can be fixed with offsets, but not instabilities).

(Hypothetical) Example: A player plays a map, every hit and release he does is within 10ms early and 10ms late. The previous values with input device delays and instability already accounted for (but not osu! process input handing delays and instability).

If playing with very high fps: The player gets 100% Rainbows.

If playing with 60fps (and using -8ms UO to compensate for the average lag): Some presses that were 9ms late might be registered as 17ms late, or some presses that were 9ms early might be registered as 17ms early (if not using UO for compensating for the average lag, early hits would be always 10ms or less early, but the amount of late hits would increase in a way where things are likely to be even worse). As a consequence, the player doesn't get 100% Rainbows.
[Bystander]

Riince wrote:

Played unlimited for a long time.
Tried 240 and felt like cursor was being displayed more consistently with less tearing.
[Bystander]

Full Tablet wrote:

If playing with 60fps (and using -8ms UO to compensate for the average lag): Some presses that were 9ms late might be registered as 17ms late, or some presses that were 9ms early might be registered as 17ms early (if not using UO for compensating for the average lag, early hits would be always 10ms or less early, but the amount of late hits would increase in a way where things are likely to be even worse). As a consequence, the player doesn't get 100% Rainbows.
This post doesn't make sense.
Universal Offset has nothing to do with when your key presses are registered.
It determines the sound effect volume alignment with the song sounds.
Full Tablet

[Bystander] wrote:

Full Tablet wrote:

This post doesn't make sense.
Universal Offset has nothing to do with when your key presses are registered.
It determines the sound effect volume alignment with the song sounds.
Universal Offset shifts the alignment of the timing windows with respect to the music (doesn't change the moment the hitsounds/keysounds sound though, they sound as early as they can, with their delay either caused either by low fps or because of the way the game plays sounds). The case with Universal Offset was so both identical inputs (identical meaning each input is done at the same time in relation to the music) can be compared (in practice a player is likely to play differently if compensating changing the UO since the hitsounds would sound off compared to the music when hitting correctly according to the game; unless the player plays without hitsounds, in which case compensating by changing the UO would only make things better).
Topic Starter
Silver Sky

[Bystander] wrote:

Riince wrote:

Played unlimited for a long time.
Tried 240 and felt like cursor was being displayed more consistently with less tearing.
Well, higher fps with standard 60hz refresh rate monitor will tear the cursor/notes. It's because the monitor can't refresh often enough to produce clear and smooth images of many fps. That's why I'm using 240 fps, it really helps me to read the notes better.
[Bystander]
I have a 144hz monitor.
Cursor still tears badly at unlimited fps (1000+)
Topic Starter
Silver Sky

[Bystander] wrote:

I have a 144hz monitor.
I don't know much about refresh rate and fps, but if I am using 60hz monitor and 240 fps looks clear then I think the max fps for the image to be clear is about 4 times the refresh rate. So I think your max fps should be 4 X 144hz which is 576fps for the image to be clear.

The thing is, I've read somewhere that 480 fps is the most stable and fastest (delay), so you might want to limit it to 480 fps and see the results :D
I never tried it though, but I think it should work :D

Correct me if I'm wrong :)
Drace
It's nonsense. The more frames per second you have the shorter your frames will be, thus less input lag. It's elementary math. Though in many cases the fps isn't the biggest culprit in input lag.

Stability however has to do with many more factors than just your fps. Your your output and input peripherals (yes both), your software and your hardware all become important factors that contribute to this.
Bobbias

[Bystander] wrote:

I have a 144hz monitor.
If you get actual tearing, then it's because your monitor and the graphics are not in sync, simple as that. Without turning on vsync, you're gonna have to live with it. That's just something that happens when you run at framerates above your monitor refresh rate.

And as Drace said, higher fps is always better in terms of minimizing input lag, but framerate stability is extremely important as well. If you average 1000 fps, but every second you have one frame that takes 20ms to render, you're going to notice the frame drop and this can create spikes in input lag that can even cause misses.

Also, try playing with a wireless keyboard and look at the timing meter sometime and see how much effect that has on things. You'd be surprised.
Tear
Pretty much everyone in this topic is correct, it's a complex topic and there's a lot of factors that contribute to input lag and jittering.
Kert

[Bystander] wrote:

I have a 144hz monitor.
I'd recommend switching on Lightboost for mania mode for all people with such monitors, same for taiko
It adds to input lag, but no blur is so cool
Topic Starter
Silver Sky

Kert wrote:

[Bystander] wrote:

I have a 144hz monitor.
I'd recommend switching on Lightboost for mania mode for all people with such monitors, same for taiko
It adds to input lag, but no blur is so cool
If I switch to 60fps limit I will have no blur too, but the input lags is killing me.
deyr1n
i have question here, when i play on laptop it's 1ms ~ 2,4ms and i got good acc but when i play on my pc 1000+ fps + 0,700ms my acc is so terrible
Bobbias
Your problem has nothing to do with framerate. It probably has to do with the difference between laptop and regular keyboards. Laptop keyboards don't take much movement to reach the bottom, and only activate when they bottom out. Regular keyboards have to be pressed farther, and activate partway down instead of right at the bottom, but they still need to be pressed farther down to activate than a laptop key does.
ReTLoM
i use 480 because unlimited is laggy and changes 1300 to 800 fps on dense charts