forum

How do I osu!mania?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Canozo
I'm getting bored of osu!standard, so I tried out osu!mania because it looks really fun, but I'm the actual worst osu!mania player this earth has ever seen in the history of music games.

I did start playing 7k because most maps seem to be 7k and it seems to be the hotspot of osu!mania, but whenever I see a "Space" note I instantly die (Like I cant do Novice/easy diffs). Should I just try harder or should I begin with playing 4k>5k>6k>7k? Or any tip in general to start playing o!m. Thanks! :D
Valedict
You can always fix your key bindings to a more comfortable setup if you want. For example, my keys are laid out in a row like SDF HKL;, but that's a weird setup that I've gotten used to.

You don't HAVE to move up a single key setting to get better at 7k, but it's always fun to try the other modes since 4k and 7k are the big popular ones around here.

And practice practice practice, that's the one thing any one in this mode will tell you.
Blaizer
Play all keymodes, but put specific effort into 4K and 7K, since they're most popular. Stick with the default key config. Pressing space is hard to get used to, but it'll pay off when you do. Pinkies are not strong fingers, so you should avoid using them at all costs. Also, check out Scroll (t/226611) which is a program I wrote to set all your scroll speeds automatically and consistently. It should help out a lot!
Valedict

Blaizer wrote:

inkies are not strong fingers, so you should avoid using them at all costs.

I dunno man, sure doesn't feel that way. Though I suppose that's the GH/RB player talking in me, I'm more used to using my pinky for patterns that involve 4 fret buttons or 4 keys.

To each their own, right?
MostDakka

Genolo wrote:

I'm getting bored of osu!standard, so I tried out osu!mania because it looks really fun, but I'm the actual worst osu!mania player this earth has ever seen in the history of music games.

I did start playing 7k because most maps seem to be 7k and it seems to be the hotspot of osu!mania, but whenever I see a "Space" note I instantly die (Like I cant do Novice/easy diffs). Should I just try harder or should I begin with playing 4k>5k>6k>7k? Or any tip in general to start playing o!m. Thanks! :D
I had exacly the same thing, I'm novice too but practice fixed it. At some point you'll just stop focusing on space and it'll be ok.
Vuelo Eluko
;ksl sadaslkdasld; ;sldk ; dls daql;dksdl l;ad ;skdlk ad;k sdl; a;ldl;d ;asd ;lskdl;asdkl;asdkal;dkasl;kdasl;dk asl;dkasl;dkal;dkal;sdk a;lkasd k

^

thats how i do it anyway
regardless of map
Maiz94
Practice makes perfect ;)
Tear
t/146615
Everything that everyone here is going to say is in this post. Have fun with osumania!
ikzune

Blaizer wrote:

Play all keymodes, but put specific effort into 4K and 7K, since they're most popular. Stick with the default key config. Pressing space is hard to get used to, but it'll pay off when you do. Pinkies are not strong fingers, so you should avoid using them at all costs. Also, check out Scroll (t/226611) which is a program I wrote to set all your scroll speeds automatically and consistently. It should help out a lot!
9k and 10k are in the works, when we have ranked songs for these i would regret not having trained pinkies
Silver Sky
If you are good with 7K, playing other keymodes below it should be easier for you. But I found that 4K is more focused at finger speed and stamina when 7K is focused on pattern reading. So yeah, play 4K and 7K. For both finger speed and pattern reading. Correct me if I'm wrong tho :)
Topic Starter
Canozo
Thanks for the tips everyone :o I'll play 4k and 7k and practice more.

laishiou wrote:

9k and 10k are in the works,
10k wtf
Silver Sky

Genolo wrote:

Thanks for the tips everyone :o I'll play 4k and 7k and practice more.

laishiou wrote:

9k and 10k are in the works,
10k wtf
It
will
be
fun.

They said
ikzune
just be glad to my knowledge although they got 88k working for 3 seconds its not going to be implemented, that is not a confirmation it still might tho!!
Drace
1k, 2k, 3k, 9k and 10k were always functional ever since mania first got released, you can map maps for those keymodes right now (and back then) in the current editor and watch them play correctly in autoplay. It's just the options doesn't allow players to set their keys for those keymodes so you can't hit the notes when playing.

If they were really in the works, all that would be needed to do is allow the players to map their keys. So I doubt any work is actually being done since it would of been integrated long ago. Plus, the 9k/10k request thread would of been approved by now, which it haven't.

You should state your sources.
MostDakka
http://smgi.me/?p=144

one of the dev's blog.

also from changelog
Aug 25, 2014
[smoogipooo] Remove special key and second special key from normal key binding dialog.
smoogipooo/change_song_speed_allowance: [smoogipooo] Allow osu!mania song speed to be changed in multiplayer lobby.
[smoogipooo] Fix osu!mania score not syncing when spectating.
[smoogipooo] Disable the special style drop down on key configurations that do not support it.
[smoogipooo] Add support for 1K.
[smoogipooo] Capitalized the mania layout wizard key numbers.
Code: [peppy] Localisation updates.
[peppy] Change localisation file headers to specify UTF8.
Code: [peppy] Increase efficiency of localisation updating (avoid file write conflicts due to excessive file open/close calls).
[smoogipooo] Removed Mania key style from skin.ini.
[smoogipooo] Add 10K option to Mania key layout dialog.
[smoogipooo] Make Mania 5K column 3 a special key.
[smoogipooo] Reload the Mania keybinding layout when special style is changed.
[smoogipooo] Better align the keybinding text block inside keybindings.
[smoogipooo] Fix keybindings reset option not at the bottom of the scroll area. (Old bug)
[smoogipooo] Remove Mania key bindings from normal key bindings dialog.
[smoogipooo] Move Mania "Increase Speed" and "Decrease Speed" keybindings under the osu! Mania Mode header.
[smoogipooo] Correctly copy 0ms offset to clipboard when using Control-C in Editor timing tab.
[Nyquill] Parse a float value for M events instead of int.
[peppy] Make mirror updates fail faster when a mirror stops responding. Add a cloudflare-backed fallback for dire cases.
[peppy] Make switching slaves around easier.
[peppy] Move basic score retrievals back to master database temporarily.

no idea if its in test build yet but it probably is. Actually Mania development is probably most active of all modes now.
Drace
heh

well it's cool to see they're finally doing the little bit of work left on this after all this time
lemonguy
Oh god, 9k and 10k? I'll never play those haha.
ikzune
thank you for finding that information for me i didnt want to have to go through ausumanias skype just to find it