forum

suck at aim [mouse player]

posted
Total Posts
show more
FlyingKebab
Just so you know a tablet won't make you instantly better, but if it is more comfortable for you then sure why not.
GoldenWolf
jeezus amai stop with the brainwash now
Vuelo Eluko

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

I apologize for not being straight with that, but I wasn't talking about newcomers who are easily deceived. I was focused on players, who made their name big shortly after switching to Tablet while being average on mouse (or just made it from the start in a year, like Rafis). Half of Poland's top 10 is like that.
Try to understand that this is not strictly true. Remember KeigoClear? He tried to go from Mouse to Tablet, tried hard, practiced it a lot, but ended up going back to mouse because he just couldn't get the hang of it. It's not objectively better by any means and really does depend on the player.
nrl
It absolutely is objectively better to some degree. The problem is that many players have years of prior experience with mice, while very few players have experience using a writing utensil in the way osu! requires a tablet pen be used.
Vuelo Eluko

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

It absolutely is objectively better to some degree. The problem is that many players have years of prior experience with mice, while very few players have experience using a writing utensil in the way osu! requires a tablet pen be used.
"objectively subjective" Kappa
if not everyone can be better than they are with a mouse using a tablet saying it's better or that they 'would be better if they put more time into using it' is pure theory and disproves the notion of it being objectively better rather than preference, especially at that level of play. if 'to some degree' ends when someone prefers a mouse and does better with it then there's nothing objective about it.
nrl
Tablets are just plain superior for getting the cursor from point A to B as quickly and accurately as possible due to the lower weight of the pen and almost complete lack of friction, and that means they are, in theory, better for osu!. Like I said, the discrepancy occurs when you consider that most players have far more experience with mouse before they've even downloaded osu!. Every player would eventually reach a point after switching to tablet where they become more skilled than they would have been had they not switched, it's just that that point is different for each player, so it's possible it would take many years to start seeing benefits.
Vuelo Eluko

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Tablets are just plain superior for getting the cursor from point A to B as quickly and accurately as possible due to the lower weight of the pen and almost complete lack of friction, and that means they are, in theory, better for osu!. Like I said, the discrepancy occurs when you consider that most players have far more experience with mouse before they've even downloaded osu!. Every player would eventually reach a point after switching to tablet where they become more skilled than they would have been had they not switched, it's just that that point is different for each player, so it's possible it would take many years to start seeing benefits.
then this has nothing to do whatsoever with the tablet, but them improving by have much more experience and practice than when they used mouse, and possibly they'd have been better off sticking to the peripheral they'd been using...
nrl

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Every player would eventually reach a point after switching to tablet where they become more skilled than they would have been had they not switched
I accounted for that. Reading comprehension, yo.
Vuelo Eluko

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Every player would eventually reach a point after switching to tablet where they become more skilled than they would have been had they not switched
I accounted for that. Reading comprehension, yo.
you said they'd be better than if they hadn't switched and I said it was pure theory.
whether lower weight or friction is better is STILL subjective, player dependent, preference.

it's only if everyone had a robot armed programmed to move the exact same way with the exact same angles/force/etc that differences like that would or could be objectively better or worse
nrl
You're overestimating potential variance in human anatomy if you think we don't all have robot arms programmed to move in very similar ways. The only scenario in which high friction and weight is preferable is the case of a player who habitually applies more force than necessary for a particular movement, and the only reason they would habitually do that is because they've become accustomed to using a peripheral that requires them to. Do I have to explain why it's preferable to make movements with as little force as necessary?
Vuelo Eluko
explain why you prefer this, but don't project onto everyone.
AmaiHachimitsu

Riince wrote:

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

I apologize for not being straight with that, but I wasn't talking about newcomers who are easily deceived. I was focused on players, who made their name big shortly after switching to Tablet while being average on mouse (or just made it from the start in a year, like Rafis). Half of Poland's top 10 is like that.
Try to understand that this is not strictly true. Remember KeigoClear? He tried to go from Mouse to Tablet, tried hard, practiced it a lot, but ended up going back to mouse because he just couldn't get the hang of it. It's not objectively better by any means and really does depend on the player.

Why are you bringing out a based stream/acc player? I don't know how long Keigo tried it, but he was never an aiming expert.

Still, he actually did some awesome scores while playing with tablet. Quite impressive as for somebody who "can't get the hang of it" don't you think?

There are exceptions like you say, but I'm not changing my words because of amounts which are at the edge of statistical error.

Finally, guys. It's not the weight or shape that is most important here. It's the synaptic absolution the pen tablet has. With mouse you need to deal with drifts which make some maps close-to-impossible to FC. You also get to play on a surface which is destroyed over time quite quickly.

Also, somebody implied that you'll reach the tablet level if you practice (long) enough. OH YEAH, but this very thing of having to practice longer makes it inferior, doesn't it?
nrl

Riince wrote:

explain why you prefer this, but don't project onto everyone.
But there are objective reasons why it's preferable to perform a given movement with as little force as necessary, including, but not limited to, increased endurance from lower average energy expenditure and increased control from the decrease in time to apply the necessary counter-force to stop the movement. If timely, controllable motion is the goal, there's no reason to prefer higher necessary force given the limits of our physiology.

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Also, somebody implied that you'll reach the tablet level if you practice (long) enough. OH YEAH, but this very thing of having to practice longer makes it inferior, doesn't it?
I'm not saying you'll reach your old level after long enough (though you will), I'm saying you'll eventually reach a point where you're better than you would have been if you'd continued to use the old peripheral.

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Finally, guys. It's not the weight or shape that is most important here. It's the synaptic absolution the pen tablet has. With mouse you need to deal with drifts which make some maps close-to-impossible to FC. You also get to play on a surface which is destroyed over time quite quickly.
That's a tertiary benefit for sure, but it's something that, in theory, is under the player's control, so I didn't mention it.
FlyingKebab
OP asks about mouse aim.......... People manage to convince him to get a tablet.

People going around the mouse problem by eliminating the root of the problem: the mouse itself. Genius.
Topic Starter
Tehu Tehu

FlyingKebab wrote:

OP asks about mouse aim.......... People manage to convince him to get a tablet.

People going around the mouse problem by eliminating the root of the problem: the mouse itself. Genius.

thought about that XD
Yakuyan
You can switch to a tablet for all I care but if you are sticking to the mouse...here's a few tips.

1. Look straight at a circle. Helps with jumps a lot. After a while, some jumps or patterns are going to be easier to do just with peripheral vision.
2. Look at transfers between each circle/slider as a straight movement.

Mouse tips:

1. I don't know if you already do this but try to place your fingers that aren't on the top of the mouse on the side slightly touching the surface the mouse is on. This will allow you to have more consistent and controlled movements.
2. You can use high DPI but it is a lot harder to control. Try setting it to lower than 2000. I suggest 800-1600 DPI. I'm not saying that you are required to but I suggest it. I pretty sure when WubWoofWolf played with a mouse, he put it to a high DPI and was still pretty good.
3. I highly suggest you don't put any part of your palm on the face of the mouse. This will decrease your mobility unless you are a master of controlling the movement of your wrists.
4. Lastly of all, practice. Just practice anything that doesn't feel that comfortable to you. But don't just skip like 3 stars and expect to get fast results. Playing HR helped me a lot with aim and maybe it might be better for you. For me in some cases, my aim on a song with HR is better than HD or no mod even though I'm shit with AR10. Overall though, playing with HR will help you with your aim. But remember at the end of the day, practice improves aim.
FlyingKebab
I once also thought that Palm/Claw grip was terrible for aiming in such games and that's also because I have used a finger tip grip since i was like 7. But once I got my first bigger mouse (Razer Taipan) I couldn't fingertip grip it because it was very uncomfortable for me so I tried to palm it albeit with terrible control however, a few weeks ahead I have better aim with a 800DPI palm grip than I ever had with a fingertip grip and my hand NEVER gets tired with this grip. It's also personal preference though about what grip he wants to use. I move my mouse either with the wrist but mostly i lock my wrist into place and move my arm slightly.
I Give Up
Suck at mouse? Welcome to the club! Considering your top scores are all jump maps, your aim is better than me. look at my playcount and be happy ;p
Hamdium

N3rbex wrote:

can you explain why using a tablet is more effective ? some people told me its not making any differences , and those people are 500+ rank..
the main reason i dont want to use tablet its because i dont want to have that shitty RSI , one of my friends had it because of a fucking game
i mean thats some shit here to get your hand injured because of some game

N3rbex wrote:

i dont want to use tablet its because i dont want to have that shitty RSI
Regarding shitty RSI's:
Shitty RSI's are caused by bad positioning, lack of rest, or applying a lot of stress.

Even the mere act of just typing on your keyboard may cause you a RSI if you do it wrongly (over the course of years).

Hell, you can even get a RSI in a matter of days if you play relentlessly.

This is why stretches, warm up, proper rest and good positioning are important.
If you ever feel any pain/weird, stop immediately and take a break from osu!.
Resting also means that you should do things besides playing su!, and some days just not play at all.

People mention "practice until you can't play anymore" frequently, but an injury actually sets you back more.
RSI's heal completely if treated early, but they are just shitty.

Over time you will know your body limits and push yourself further, but if you take a very long break from osu!, come back slowly.
"Practice until you can't play anymore" is a horrible, horrible advice that you should never take seriously. Many players have got tenosynovitis, tendonitis, CTS and other RSI's from actually trying that.

TL;DR: Warm-up and stretch, take frequent breaks, pay attention to your body, take proper rests, don't play in bad position or very tense and you shouldn't have RSI's.
Vuelo Eluko
i've come to the conclusion that my strong viking blood makes me immune to the afflictions of the meek including RSI
lyut
To get better at aim you practice aim maps until you can pass them easily and with high accuracy
ZenithPhantasm

GoldenWolf wrote:

N3rbex wrote:

and may i ask who are you to judge my skills ?
I'm a guy who knows when someone is actually able to read AR10 and when they aren't.
Also you're the one asking people to judge your skills so we can help you by the way.

I don't see a single AR10 score there, nor anywhere in that list, at the very best a 9.67 one.

You have less than 10k playcounts, over 22k rank. And while these might not say everything about a player, considering these + the maps you play on and the scores you have achieved so far I can safely you can not read AR10 unlike you may think.

Since you have over 400 plays on Big Black I guess you pretty much memorized the thing and think you're able to read AR10. Or you spam AR10 on unranked maps all the time and you're ruining your reading skills because of that, since you haven't got solid basics down first before jumping in the too-hard-shit-territory, which also explains why you can't FC things anymore.

Also the fact you're using a way too high DPI but that other people already told you so no need to say it again I think.
O.o Im one of those weird noobs who's much more accurate on AR10 edits than the actual ranked maps. ;w; Teach me reading skills senpai.
ZenithPhantasm

KukiMonster wrote:

Suck at mouse? Welcome to the club! Considering your top scores are all jump maps, your aim is better than me. look at my playcount and be happy ;p
^What he said
x_Co0ki420ezi_x
Mouse users are inherently better than tablet-plebs.
Rokk
Try the MarkC mouse fix, it's a must for anyone using a mouse in any game at all.
AmaiHachimitsu

Teraku wrote:

Try the MarkC mouse fix, it's a must for anyone using a mouse in any game at all.

It's a must only in games which force precision mode in-game.

Apart from them it's the same as setting it in Windows.