forum

Vaporwave General Discussion

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bloodeye21
Vaporwave General Discussion

What is Vaporwave?
Vaporwave is a musical genre that emerged in the early 2010s from indie dance genres such as seapunk or chillwave, and, more broadly, electronic dance music.

A genre comprising a small number of artists on the internet reconstructing sound from audio wreckage and garbage music with computer software. Musical and aesthetic influences include experimental artist James Ferraro’s 2011 LP, Far Side Virtual, a deadpan recontextualisation of glossy corporate music, as well as the work of Oneohtrix Point Never (Daniel Lopatin), in particular his 2010 tape, Chuck Person’s Eccojams Vol. I, and his 2011 LP, Replica, each of which make heavy use of the sampling of popular music and 1980s/90s television advertisements, looping, slowing down, pitch alterations and chop-and-screw effects.

The genre’s name is thought to be a play on vaporware, a pejorative term for computer products which are announced but with no intention of market release (‘selling smoke’),as well as being a reference to an alienating fog of vapour.

If you're still feeling controversial over vaporwave, feel free to look at this giant guide.

Vaporwave Hits
Macintosh Plus - Floral Shoppe

Blank Banshee - Blank Banshee 0

Chuck Person - Eccojams Vol. 1

MILLENNIAL DREAM CORP. - DRAKE 遗事 JOSH / / JOSH 遗事 DRAKE
mathexpert
can somebody explain what vaporwave is and why the album covers look like shit

is this a hipster ironic thing?
Foxtrot

mathexpert wrote:

can somebody explain what vaporwave is and why the album covers look like shit

is this a hipster ironic thing?
It used to be serious, but then people started to make a joke out of it because its *giggle* aesthetics *giggle* and now it's considered complete trash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporwave

Here's more if you are interested.

I listen to a lot of SAINT PEPSI, Yung Bae, MACROSS 89-99, bansheebeat and so forth, but they're much different from the albums OP listed because they lean more towards disco pop rather than chillwave.

But hey, who am I kidding? Let's talk about the real gem: MILLENNIAL DREAM CORP. - DRAKE 遗事 JOSH / / JOSH 遗事 DRAKE.
PixelPsycho

Dulcet wrote:

But hey, who am I kidding? Let's talk about the real gem: MILLENNIAL DREAM CORP. - DRAKE 遗事 JOSH / / JOSH 遗事 DRAKE.
millennial dream corp changed my life, but my favorites are Diskette Romances and S U R F I N G
Foxtrot
Topic Starter
bloodeye21
FOAMFINGER ナンバーワン
PixelPsycho
Topic Starter
bloodeye21
MMzz
I was gonna make a Vaporwave thread. You beat me to it!
I fucking love this style of music.

More Saint Pepsi please.

Booty Thrill (I stumbled upon this almost 2 years ago, I'm still hooked to the album.)

マクロスMACROSS 82-99

Also that Macintosh plus album gives me chills the first time I listened to it.
Foxtrot

More YUNG BAE stuff.
Topic Starter
bloodeye21
Did anyone hear about the various projects going on with millennial dream corp? They're working on a ton of stuff right now.
My favorite concept is the spongebob squarepants one. It's just hilarious. If you don't know what I'm talking about, there's a pastebin with a bunch of samples of what's to come.

http://pastebin.com/pFVjD7g4

Needs more bbrainz
xch00F
vaporwave is chopped and screwed for white people
xch00F
it's also really bad lmao
Gumpy
It just sounds like some varient of electronic music. So why does it have a special name?
Plus_old_1
vaporwave is killing our youth
Topic Starter
bloodeye21
For those that are actually interested, someone on r/vaporwave decided to make an entire vaporwave library with pretty much every artist. So far it's 92gbs and still expanding with over 8843 files, including videos.

http://213.136.85.39/

Gumpyyy wrote:

It just sounds like some varient of electronic music. So why does it have a special name?
If you want, you can think of it as a sub-genre but you're wrong

Choofers wrote:

vaporwave is chopped and screwed for white people
It's a good thing I'm black :^)

Plus wrote:

Vaporwave is kill
Foxtrot

Plus wrote:

Choofers wrote:

it's also really bad lmao
chill

bloodeye21 wrote:

For those that are actually interested, someone on r/vaporwave decided to make an entire vaporwave library with pretty much every artist. So far it's 92gbs and still expanding with over 8843 files, including videos.
Thanks for sharing!
Topic Starter
bloodeye21
Anibae is the bomb right now
Birdy
My only mistake with Vaporwave is not joining the bandwagon, when there were like 20 albums that were considered Vaporwave.

I don't like the genre that much, though, that would explain.
Topic Starter
bloodeye21

Static Noise Bird wrote:

My only mistake with Vaporwave is not joining the bandwagon, when there were like 20 albums that were considered Vaporwave.

Vaporwave is straight up dead son.
Birdy
Yes.

Yes it is, dad.
Tsudunama

bloodeye21 wrote:

Static Noise Bird wrote:

Vaporwave is straight up dead son.
no u
Topic Starter
bloodeye21

Tsudunama wrote:

no u
It's not okay to be in denial son
Tsudunama

bloodeye21 wrote:

Tsudunama wrote:

no u
It's not okay to be in denial son
> 2014

> VAPORWAVE을 좋아하지 않는

역겨운 실업자 서민 유 심지어 기업의 사다리를 올라갈 수 있습니까?

also, dream sequins is a great album

you should check it out
Topic Starter
bloodeye21
Just did a quick listen and it's pretty dank
cloud1417
i am just getting into this genre. Currently digging Dream Catalogue.
http://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/night-drive
Birdy
A friend introduced me to this thing

https://disconscious.bandcamp.com/album/hologram-plaza

Yea.
Topic Starter
bloodeye21
Nice find nerds. I found this one a few months back but I don't think I ever shared. It's pretty tight.

https://adolfnomura.bandcamp.com/album/ ... ia-cash-in