forum

Anime Masterpieces

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mathexpert
Hi, I've been a bit disillusioned with Anime recently, and have been watching less and less. I'm just tired of all these harem/loli/romantic comedy anime that shallow and are hardly funny.

...Sooo, what anime do you guys consider as masterpieces? Not "pretty good" or even "excellent" anime, but the god tier, amazing works of art that surpass 99% of the other anime out there. Personally, some I consider as masterpieces are: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, Akira, K-ON!!, Sprited Away, and NHK ni Youkoso!
Not quite, but damn near masterpieces: Nichijou, Clannad, Anohana
Hopefully I can get into anime once again, by watching some really good anime.
The Winner Man
It may vary from person to person but a few from the top of my head is Wolf Children and Howl's Moving Castle. I assume a lot of people will say stuff like Steins;gate, FMAB, Code Geass, Death Note and Madoka.
B1rd
yeah I've just been ranting on about it in other threads, Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Navizel
Old Madhouse anime such as Beck, Wolf Children, Nana, and Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei.

And then there are those comedies and slice of life anime like Non Non Biyori, Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou aka Nichibro, Aria series, and Barakamon
Rio-
Hayao Miyazaki's Movies, Makoto Shinkai's 5 Centimeter per Second, and Aoyama Gosho's Detective Conan

for some of "new" series... I think those would be To Aru Series & KEY's Anime (CLANNAD, Little Busters!, etc)
piruchan
Just a joke
IT'S NARUTO! HOW COME YOU DON'T MENTION IT? NARUTO IS THE BEST ANIME EVAAHHHHHHH!

I understand you. I can feel that my watch list gets shorter every season.

I haven't watch many anime, but Cardcaptor Sakura is what I'd consider a masterpiece. The impact it gave me is only comparable by CLANNAD.

not related
Grisaia no Kajitsu is set in for next season. I haven't played the VN, but most reviews I've read say that it's awesome.

Edit : Just a quick question. What do you guys think about Haruhi Suzumiya no Yuutsu?
Personally I think it's strange, but I just keep watching it. It's mysteriously attractive.
Mofu kun
I consider CLANNAD almost a master piece, just like you, but CLANNAD: After Story is what i call a masterpiece.
Fzero100
But in all seriousness, pretty much all the main ones have been already named so these aren't quite master pieces but then again nothing really is perfect.
White album 2
Usagi drop
Tokyo magnitude 8.0
Planetes (personally I didn't enjoy this that much, but others say it's amazing)
Nodame cantabile
Honey and clover
Non non biyori (just because its so chill)
silmarilen
disappearence of haruhi suzumiya (you're gonna have to watch the anime for this one first, which unfortunatly isnt nearly as good, but it's definetly worth it)
kemono no souja erin
shinsekai yori
kara no kyouaki

also some manga
claymore (the anime is also really good, but i recommend the manga because the story goes on a lot longer, and the part after where the anime ends is better imo)
battle angel alita (and battle angel alita: last order)

there are more anime/manga that i found really good, but these ones were just that litle bit better that they deserve a mention in here.
Varetyr
I'm just going to add Gintama on the list, which is probably the only anime in its category (humor) I could consider god-tier.
Fzero100

Varetyr wrote:

I'm just going to add Gintama on the list, which is probably the only anime in its category (humor) I could consider god-tier.
What about Nichijou or danshikoukosei no nichijou? Those three are probably the only ones that've made me cry laughing.
TheNekoNextDoor
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Clannad After Story
Zankyou No Terror
Black Rock Shooter (The OVA)
Angel Beats!

This list will be added to at some point, probably.

Also:

mathexpert wrote:

I'm just tired of all these harem/loli/romantic comedy anime
I AGREE WITH YOU SO MUCH.
Gumpy
Kill La Kill is what I name a masterpiece.
Varetyr

Fzero100 wrote:

What about Nichijou or danshikoukosei no nichijou? Those three are probably the only ones that've made me cry laughing.
As always when it comes to humor...
#opinions.
For example to me, DKnN was pretty much a funnier version of Minami-ke series. I appreciated it a lot, but that's all.
And Nichijou isn't my cup of tea I guess :/.

Then again, humor is all about #opinions, there are probably a lot of people who would agree with you here, but I can't.
Fzero100

Varetyr wrote:

Fzero100 wrote:

As always when it comes to humor...
#opinions.
For example to me, DKnN was pretty much a funnier version of Minami-ke series. I appreciated it a lot, but that's all.
And Nichijou isn't my cup of tea I guess :/.

Then again, humor is all about #opinions, there are probably a lot of people who would agree with you here, but I can't.
Yea, humour really is subjective but I guess the same goes for anything really. Any particular reason you find gintama the best of its genre? To me I feel like it brings out the best in crude humour while still being able to pull those heartstrings in the serious arcs.
Jindujun93
Surprised nobody mentioned Monster yet, definitely one of the masterpieces that anime has to offer. Kino no Tabi is definitely one as well, and if you're enjoying Shonen, Hunter x Hunter (2011).
Rise_old_1
DAMN wasn't first to say monster!

well, Clannad after story OBVIOUSLY.
Kill la kill was definitely amazing...
Wolf children was Fu***** amazing (r8 8/8 m8)
Cowboy Bebop is an ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE! (rewatched 3 times and counting :P)
Boku No Pico what I mean.. uhhh.... lets ignore
Grave of the fireflies is counted by me aswell.
I'm tempted to say Trigun but I haven't liked it as much as I would say a masterpiece. (still worth to watch though :!: )
Also, if this is even countable... Yoko Kanno's music in some anime's is definitely a masterpiece. Yoko Kanno is a freaking genius when it comes to music.
Kasdiel
I honestly think that Nagi no Asukara is a masterpiece, despite some of the flak that it gets.
Mogsy
There's some stuff in here that I would definitely not call a masterpiece (To Aru, Nagi no Asukara, BRS, any Key property). The thing is, there are very rarely works that achieve a grandiose artistic height and a level of importance to be called a master work. Some examples that I would definitely use, even if I don't like some of them, would be:

1. Akira
  2. Revolutionary Girl Utena
  3. Millennium Actress
  4. Evangelion
  5. Ghost in the Shell
  6. Cowboy Bebop
  7. Angel's Egg
  8. Wolf's Rain
  9. Madoka Magica
  10. The Tatami Galaxy
  11. Penguindrum
  12. Grave of the Fireflies
  13. RahXephon
  14. Serial Experiments Lain
  15. Princess Mononoke
  16. Porco Rosso
  17. Beck/Paradise Kiss (very similar shows, basically with the genders switched)
  18. Welcome to the NHK
  19. Flag
There's a lot of stuff I like that I wouldn't consider a masterpiece. There's a lot of stuff I don't like personally that I would consider must-watches for any anime fan. There's a difference between liking something and recognizing its importance and artistic merit.
Jindujun93
Ah, two other animes that came to mind just now that haven't been mentioned yet. Mushishi and Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (aka Legend of the Galactic Heroes).
Alongside with Monster and Kino no Tabi that I've previously mentioned, those seem to be a masterpiece in my opinion.

I have to agree with Mogsworth as well though - most animes from that list should definitely be given a watch, even if it is just once and only taking a glimpse at it.
mintaisukurimu
I think Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, Death Note and Code Geass are masterpieces.

//this is my opinion though, so you probably might not agree with it.
show more