forum

Anyone have / can replicate this cursor trail?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cheezstik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idx3dN333cM
The description mentions something about it being a glitch, but nothing about it looks like a glitch to me, this could at least be remade if it isn't anywhere to be found.
Elzapatoverde
"... too bad this doesn't work anymore since the new default skin patch :(" that means it doesn't works any more. It has nothing to do with a glitch.
Topic Starter
cheezstik

Elzapatoverde wrote:

"... too bad this doesn't work anymore since the new default skin patch :(" that means it doesn't works any more. It has nothing to do with a glitch.
He says it doesn't work anymore as if it was a glitch or not intended, but I'm saying nothing about that trail looks like it wouldn't work in this patch, I think this could still be made if it hasn't already on the newest patch.
Elzapatoverde
Hum... try duplicating the cursor and renaming the copy as "cursormiddle" (I'm not on my computer so I can't try).
Topic Starter
cheezstik

Elzapatoverde wrote:

Hum... try duplicating the cursor and renaming the copy as "cursormiddle" (I'm not on my computer so I can't try).
Yeah doesn't do much, just makes the cursor look bugged out when it expands, not the effect I desire. Thanks anyway :).
Kheryo
Hi.

I made some attempts at replicating your thing and this is what I found out :
- Adding a cursormiddle.png allows the trail to be much, much longer
- The number of pictures displayed in the trail (more like ; the frequency at which osu draws the trail picture again and again) depends on the size of the cursortrail.png

i.e. to make something similar to what's in your video, we would require to make a ring-looking trail of about 256*256 (in HD, 128*128 in SD), which is too big and osu will only display it a couple times per second, much less than what is needed to get the desired effect.

Proof.png
Without cursormiddle.png, not enough images are displayed to make the trail look smooth in any way. (I didn't invest much time in making the base image looks smooth either, it's just to demonstrate)

And with a cursormiddle.png, which would make the trail much longer and maybe smoother, osu! simply refuses to display it as it is too big.
(Haven't found the max size yet)

Also, when the cursor is standing still, the trail doesn't disappear like in your video. Instead, all the frames just stack under the cursor, making a big red opaque ring behind the cursor.

This was tested in a version 2.1 skin

Perhaps there is a way by using older skin behavior versions, but I'm not really motivated to search for it.
OsuMe65
Just give up your hopes. That cursortrail can't be replicated in terms of behavior; same case as above happened in Version: 1.
Topic Starter
cheezstik

Kheryo wrote:

Hi.

I made some attempts at replicating your thing and this is what I found out :
- Adding a cursormiddle.png allows the trail to be much, much longer
- The number of pictures displayed in the trail (more like ; the frequency at which osu draws the trail picture again and again) depends on the size of the cursortrail.png

i.e. to make something similar to what's in your video, we would require to make a ring-looking trail of about 256*256 (in HD, 128*128 in SD), which is too big and osu will only display it a couple times per second, much less than what is needed to get the desired effect.

Proof.png
Without cursormiddle.png, not enough images are displayed to make the trail look smooth in any way. (I didn't invest much time in making the base image looks smooth either, it's just to demonstrate)

And with a cursormiddle.png, which would make the trail much longer and maybe smoother, osu! simply refuses to display it as it is too big.
(Haven't found the max size yet)

Also, when the cursor is standing still, the trail doesn't disappear like in your video. Instead, all the frames just stack under the cursor, making a big red opaque ring behind the cursor.

This was tested in a version 2.1 skin

Perhaps there is a way by using older skin behavior versions, but I'm not really motivated to search for it.
Yeah the cursormiddle bug is pretty well known, I just use a 1x1 transparent png as my cursor middle and it makes my trail longer. Without a cursor middle the cursor stacks a lot of times, but it becomes really short. Oh well, thanks for the help anyway, hopefully osu will add more cursor trail variables in the skin.ini that allows trails like the one in the video, that would be great.
MLGnom
Problem is that new cursor-trail (when you are using cursor middle) had similar behaviour like one one. It was always drawn behind cursor, even when you didn't move it. Later it was patched and changed behaviour to appear only when you move it and that's why large trails are a little off.
Also previous behaviour made trail to be longer whenever you had more fps.

Kheryo wrote:

Not only size but amount of fps you have too. More fps = more action per second = more often drawn trail. You can notice on unlimited that trail is able to eat even 100 fps when using it. But also if you have unstable fps it's will looks much worse than at 60/120 fps.

Also reducing amount of "free" space of trail will make it look more "constant" and generally better.