community forum

Anyone else full-alt?

posted
Total Posts
57
show more
Topic Starter
LtBeanSniffer

NixXSkate wrote:

A lot of people alternate, it's not new. If you master it to the point of playing just as accurately as a normal singletapper, then alternating becomes pretty overpowered over people that can only singletap at normal speeds.
You say a lot of people full-alt but I just want to meet one of those people. XD
Sophia
I prefer full-alt over Single Tapping, but I often singletap to increase streaming speed / stamina.
MostDakka
I am alternating since 1.5y ago when i started playing osu!. Initially i had some problems with streams but while i can single tap i would never switch from alternating to single tap. I'm not a godlike player but i dont have any problems with alternating single notes of any speed and its actually pretty acurate once you feel the rythm.

And no offense to single tap players but i feel like retard when singletaping. Alternating just feels awesome.
YukinoDesuDesu
used to full alt everything, now i full alt, single+alt or single tap, depends on my mood. doesnt matter which one i pick my acc is trash tier ^^
Topic Starter
LtBeanSniffer

Dm1321 wrote:

I prefer full-alt over Single Tapping, but I often singletap to increase streaming speed / stamina.
Thats the main reason Im considering learning how to single tap. Im so bad at streaming
Yakuyan

LtBeanSniffer wrote:

Dm1321 wrote:

I prefer full-alt over Single Tapping, but I often singletap to increase streaming speed / stamina.
Thats the main reason Im considering learning how to single tap. Im so bad at streaming
I don't think that singletapping helps streaming abilities. But really it's whatever. Single-tapping or full-alt. You could learn singletapping because it probably won't affect your alternation ability, so just try to learn it.
winber1
you can full alt and still play triplets stream and what-not perfectly fine with practice, as everyone says. people often time find that they struggle when they alternate and they learn to single-tap instead of breaking through the barrier using alternating. Neither is bad for the player, as both ways you will improve, but because single tapping is so much more prominent and generally regarded as easier, people try to switch.

alternating will make getting stamina and speed harder, but if you do it right it's still a strong playstyle.

basically make a decision yourself and stick to a playstyle.
Topic Starter
LtBeanSniffer

TheBurningFlame wrote:

I don't think that singletapping helps streaming abilities. But really it's whatever. Single-tapping or full-alt. You could learn singletapping because it probably won't affect your alternation ability, so just try to learn it.
It may sound strange but I have heard this from quite a few people at this point. I'm still kinda unsure of it but I figure there must be some reason that so most people single tap.
Yakuyan

LtBeanSniffer wrote:

TheBurningFlame wrote:

I don't think that singletapping helps streaming abilities. But really it's whatever. Single-tapping or full-alt. You could learn singletapping because it probably won't affect your alternation ability, so just try to learn it.
It may sound strange but I have heard this from quite a few people at this point. I'm still kinda unsure of it but I figure there must be some reason that so most people single tap.
Yeah, maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Based on my experiences though, it doesn't seem like it does for me. My singletap speeds are WAY slower than my stream speeds, and increasing my singletap speeds just doesn't really affect my stream speeds. Maybe it's different for me idk :lol:
Sophia

TheBurningFlame wrote:

[
Yeah, maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Based on my experiences though, it doesn't seem like it does for me. My singletap speeds are WAY slower than my stream speeds, and increasing my singletap speeds just doesn't really affect my stream speeds. Maybe it's different for me idk :lol:
Single tapping high BPM feels like it made me gain some stamina and stream a bit faster, even more so when I did it with my non dominant finger. That may be just me though. Overall, I mostly mix single tap and full-alt after I originally learned to single tap.
zwoots
Full alternator here.


I'm also terrible, so take that for what you will.
winber1

LtBeanSniffer wrote:

TheBurningFlame wrote:

I don't think that singletapping helps streaming abilities. But really it's whatever. Single-tapping or full-alt. You could learn singletapping because it probably won't affect your alternation ability, so just try to learn it.
It may sound strange but I have heard this from quite a few people at this point. I'm still kinda unsure of it but I figure there must be some reason that so most people single tap.
Because there are an innumerable amount of threads about single-tapping vs alternating. For the older community threads like these are almost cringe worthy, since it's been discussed and asked countless times.

Since I'm too lazy to find the threads, I'll just explain a few things that have been brought up.

Firstly, most people single-tap because generally people find it easier to focus on one thing at a time. Therefore, instead of having to deal with hitting accurately with two fingers, beginners could just focus on using on finger. I mean there's a variety of other reasons, but it really boils down to the fact that single-tapping is generally more intuitive. And since single-tapping is learned first, it becomes more natural than alternating. If some people start out alternating (to save energy or for whatever other reason), then alternating becomes more comfortable because it was learned first.

There is no "reason" per se. It's more the fact that it usually comes more naturally that way. Rarely does anyone start playing this game with a methodically thought out reason as to whether he or she should single-tap or not.

Also the fact that very few have really been able to truly switch from single-tapping to full alternate comfortably, whereas many alternaters have quite easily switched to single-tapping without much problem, strengthening the fact that single-tapping is generally more natural.

Second, single-tapping makes increasing stamina and speed easier because it forces the player to use more energy and push their limits. For example, when you play a 220BPM song, the single tappers will be tapping all of those eighth notes, basically jackhammering one key with one finger. This will push the player more than an alternater who would generally be more relaxed (the real feel to these players would be an 110BPM stream, which is not hard at all). And as you play more, the extra muscle strength and stamina does make a noticeable difference, but it doesn't mean alternating is inferior in any way.
Wishy
Metro used to full-alt when he played. He did get top tier scores on very hard maps such as http://osu.ppy.sh/s/40344.
cheezstik
The reason I, and many other people imo, don't full alt is similar to the reason you press both pedals with one foot while driving, and not use both feet at the same time. I used to play full alt a long time ago when I was a lot worse at the game, that was mostly cos I was slow though, and songs I played then just went along with the beat like a metronome. As songs start getting more complex rhythms and triplets etc, it gets too confusing.

Also, I definitely think singletap helps streaming, cos if you think about it, you can stream nearly twice as fast as you can singletap, so improving singletap speed will improve stream speed. Evidence of this is the player doomsday, a notable streamer, can singletap at insane speeds, as seen in this video:



Anyway, to complete my previous analogy, some people drive manual, and have no problem using both feet at the same time and not getting confused, and manual definitely has its advantages.
Pacze
I turned into an alternater like five months after I started playing, mainly cause I had an horrible single tapping speed. I've been alternating since then, and now I full alternate all the songs. Anyways, I know a lot of people that alternate that are in the top players, with the ones that single tap, so your playstyle doesn't matter as long as you feel comfortable with it...

Also I think that pretty much every thing that winber1 pointed is true... so, you just have to play the style you feel more natural. (ofc, both playstyles have their own pros and cons when exposed to the other one, but at the very end, you'll be able to play descently if you practice enough)
B1rd
I don't full alt, but I practice alternating so I can eventually do maps like scarlet rose, since I don't think I'll be developing insane singletapping speed anytime soon. I want to eventually develop full finger control, so I can choose to singletap or alternate at will. I still have problems trying to alternate high bpm though, and I always get confused about which finger to start on on triples and streams.
koromo
I'm most likely one of the extremely rare cases of people who used to single tap but switched to alternating. It just feels more natural than single tapping for some reason, can't see myself going back.

It's just a play style, plenty of people full alt.
Kouya-
When I was a bit nooby, I didn't really mastered full-alt, but now I pretty much full alt all the time .

Though, I even full-alt just because I think I might miss the incoming sliders or hit circles if the map is tricky or is to fast .
Venitros
Full alternate.

I watched a couple of liveplays on youtube before I started playing and I noticed that sometimes the player only presses one button and sometimes presses both. I tried this myself but didn't have any idea when to alternate (of course because I was playing 1 star maps). Then I decided to just alternate all the time.
YamiHikari
I changed to full-alt when I realised how low my stamina is when I single-tap everything in the harder maps.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply