forum

How do you pronouce osu?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Fzero100
oh wow, I thought the name was 押す... since you know, you push circles.
Although I dont think I can stop saying 'oh su'
DeanAmbroseFan
Oss I think...
benjanyan
-
Kurai
I've always pronounced it "oss". However I still know many people pronoucing it either os-huh or ozu.
Cloudchaser
osuculiao

<:
theramdans
OSS-u
6ixr
oss-u
ksg
"osu"

I usually just say "oh-su" since it's less ambiguous than "oss".
YamiHikari
"Oss-soo"... and then this thread made me realise its more like "oss". But saying "oss-soo" has become a habit and.. its nicer to say it imo. Feels more fitting at least to me..
KinkiN
you might want to open your osu!test
Virus_old_1
i call it life
peter022
oh-soo (おす), just like what it sounds in Japanese
[-Shintaro-]
I've known the entire time it was oss, but it just flows better as oh soo.
TakuMii

peter022 wrote:

oh-soo (おす), just like what it sounds in Japanese
...It's written as 押忍. And that's not what it sounds like in Japanese (it's ohss).
Heterozygous_old
Since if you type "osu" in Japanese romaji IME it's likely to give you something like ♂, because the word 雄 (male) is pronounced exactly the same way as 押忍 in Japanese, so you can literally just call it something like "Game for man"...

For those who are interested in what's the Japanese word for ♀, it's 雌 (めす), romaji written as "mesu".
2Spooky5U
"Oce"

like sauce but o version.
Senpoii
OH-SS!!!!!!!~~~~
xLolicore-
sigh. I've been pronouncing it incorrectly all this time >~<
Gumpy

HiImNoob wrote:

So what?
xLolicore-

Gumpyyy wrote:

HiImNoob wrote:

So what?
Well looks like I'll just pronounce it the way I do now :/
Genjitsu
oh-soo
HaruryuuSan
oh-soo :3
Lhijn
oosuu
Karuta-_old_1
abbreviation for おはようございます!-->おす!
AR10 Only
I pronounce osu! the same way that the guy when you launche the game is cuttinedge : Welcome to OSSSSS !
echoislost
oh-soo :L

but i know a lot of people say o-ss
Factorial
osu is a Japanese word, so I pronounce it oss...
Syphist
It can be pronounced both oh-soo and oss. Since (from what I found from googling this) was that u sounds in Japanese can be dropped in informal conversational use, even though the written word says otherwise. That's at least what I found.
ConArtist247
Oh-Sue ;)
AgrarianSkyX
It is pronounced "oss"
It came from the japanese words "ohayou gozaimasu", "o" from ohayou and "su" from gozaimasu, with gozaimasu you don't pronounce the u, same with osu!
Yey ^-^
Syphist

AgrarianSkyX wrote:

It is pronounced "oss"
It came from the japanese words "ohayou gozaimasu", "o" from ohayou and "su" from gozaimasu, with gozaimasu you don't pronounce the u, same with osu!
Yey ^-^
I swear I have heard it pronounced a few times with the u sound.
AgrarianSkyX

Syphist wrote:

AgrarianSkyX wrote:

It is pronounced "oss"
Yey ^-^
I swear I have heard it pronounced a few times with the u sound.
Whoever pronounced it with the U sound pronounced it wrong then ;)
Azern
enable "Play interface voice" to know how it pronounce
And i pronounce osu like オマ
finncyr
In germany, everybody calls it "Osou". But like the new update tells you on the Main Menu, it names "Oss".
Telerator

Neil Leo wrote:

im not Japanese, so i pronounce it oh-sue
AgrarianSkyX

Telerator wrote:

Neil Leo wrote:

im not Japanese, so i pronounce it oh-sue
You can pronounce it however you want due to personal preference but more proof of it being pronounced oss is with the new update with Dean Herbert saying "Welcome to osu!" at the start and he pronounces it oss
Yuudachi-kun
おす like how it's spelled from 押す; if it were some kind of -ます deal or whatever I'd probably drop the う
CJMJ
Os-su, till i got realize the right way, and still use Os-su :v :3
TakuMii
please excuse the bump but I found an idol group with the same name as this game

(they say their name around 1:20, and more at 2:22, and even more at 3:29 if that wasn't enough for you)

cute japanese girls can pronounce it oss, and cute Japanese girls are cute so you should listen to them
naliem
I'm spanish and I say the letters just as it's readen, it would be like osue in english I think.
show more