forum

I resetted my computer and installed Windows 7!

posted
Total Posts

What do you prefer?

Windows 7
62.50%
Windows 8
37.50%
Total votes: 56
show more
Friendan
}arguing about an OS{
nice
Bweh
I'm cool enough to tell people to go away and kill themselves and expect them to listen to me
Trash Boat
I'm cool enough to tell them to get on my level before trying again

and OT: Windows 7 should suffice. Windows 8 is more like for tablets/All-In-One's
Bweh
It's sad to see you make a non-ironic statement about yourself like that
Trash Boat
lol looks like you didn't get it
Bweh
Damn you're sharp

Your ambiguity really makes you look smarter
AutoMedic

Brian OA wrote:

I'm cool enough to tell people to go away and kill themselves and expect them to listen to me
But actually, you're not

:O shocking truth
DeletedUser_3905941

Sonatora wrote:

Brian OA wrote:

But actually, you're not

mathexpert
redPanda your avatar is legendary
loldcraft

nookls wrote:

but this is change for the better. just because it's a !!!new concept!!! doesn't mean it's something shitty that you can never get used to
Well I've explained why it its shitty. In fact here's more reasons:
SPOILER
The control panels don't have the same things, making us waste time finding out which control panel has what we want
Unnecessarily large icons, longer time to do the actions you want due to mouse movement.
Adverts on our screens by default.
No multi window, more window switching.
Taskbar faster to use than switchlist.
Closing apps take longer.

Barring the annoying adverts and having to memories which control panel does what, there rest aren't things we can "get used to". Its an necessary drop in productivity which no amount of getting used to will replace.

Maybe you could explainhow this new interfaceis better? Simply saying its better doesn't mean anything.
AutoMedic

mathexpert wrote:

Aaand its gone
Maiz94

Sonatora wrote:

mathexpert wrote:

Aaand its gone
rip
Bweh

Sonatora wrote:

Brian OA wrote:

But actually, you're not

No way, you actually got it!
TakuMii
ummm...

loldcraft wrote:

The control panels don't have the same things, making us waste time finding out which control panel has what we want the Windows 7 control panel still exists in Windows 8
Unnecessarily large icons, longer time to do the actions you want due to mouse movement. hey I thought you played osu...
bigger icons = less effort required to aim at icons = less time spent trying to click on said icons

Adverts on our screens by default. they're removable
No multi window, more window switching. the desktop is a thing
Taskbar faster to use than switchlist. alt-tab is a thing
Closing apps take longer. alt-f4 is a thing
Really. At this point you're just hating for the sake of hating. It really isn't that different.
Foxtrot
People need to stop hopping on the "let's hate this OS for no fucking reason at all" train.

8.1 is fine. Get that instead.
loldcraft
The basis of the argument (in response to nookls) is that windows 8's interface isn't BETTER, and better would imply that features gained were better than the features lost.

YayMii wrote:

ummm...

loldcraft wrote:

The control panels don't have the same things, making us waste time finding out which control panel has what we want the Windows 7 control panel still exists in Windows 8That's the problem, not only you have to find where it is in the control panel, you have to find WHICH one it's in. benefit? none.
Unnecessarily large icons, longer time to do the actions you want due to mouse movement. hey I thought you played osu...
bigger icons = less effort required to aim at icons = less time spent trying to click on said icons
wrong, there's a reason why so many osu players play windowed mode, and why playing on a huge screen doesn't improve your scores. You also forgot those desktops with large screens, or when you're out and about using a trackpad.
Adverts on our screens by default. they're removable
No multi window, more window switching. the desktop is a thing his stand is that the new interface was better, thus using back the old interface is going against his argument
Taskbar faster to use than switchlist. alt-tab is a thing the win7 interface had that also, what's the improvement?
Closing apps take longer. alt-f4 is a thing
the win7 interface had that, what's the improvement?
Really. At this point you're just hating for the sake of hating. It really isn't that different.
I'm not hating it, I'm saying that its not worth your money to upgrade to something that isn't better

Thus if it isn't change for the better, why spend money and upgrade? Or if you were forced to, why not mod to to be the same as win7?
Corin

loldcraft wrote:

The control panels don't have the same things, making us waste time finding out which control panel has what we want
If you want ease of access to PC settings and minor tweaks and W8-y shit, that's PC settings.
For anything else, control panel, you autist.

Unnecessarily large icons, longer time to do the actions you want due to mouse movement.
Doesn't look that large to me on the desktop????

Pardon my eyesight, I'm not seeing ads

Can you help me find them please?

No multi window, more window switching.
What?

Taskbar faster to use than switchlist.
Again, what? Apps are on the taskbar now you bellend

Closing apps take longer.
They do? Perhaps a 1500RPM HDD isn't for you then.
TakuMii
That's the problem, not only you have to find where it is in the control panel, you have to find WHICH one it's in. benefit? none.
There's nothing particularly useful in the Metro Control Panel (aside from customization of the Metro interface, which makes complete sense). Pretty much everything you'd ever need will be in the desktop control panel.

wrong, there's a reason why so many osu players play windowed mode, and why playing on a huge screen doesn't improve your scores. You also forgot those desktops with large screens, or when you're out and about using a trackpad.
It's generally easier to play with a bigger tablet area/lower dpi/bigger circle size (well, to a point). And playing in Windowed mode has little to do with how much mouse movement is required (there are so many other factors), so it's unfair to discredit full-screen players simply because of the convenience Windowed mode provides.
Not to mention I have absolutely no problem navigating the Start screen on my 2048x1536 monitor nor any of the laptops I've used Windows 8 on.

his stand is that the new interface was better, thus using back the old interface is going against his argument
"Better" is subjective. I actually prefer the interface of Windows 8, as the full-screen Start menu means that I could simply memorize the location of all of my programs and open any with only 2 button presses. But I find it dumb and pointless to waste RAM to make it more like Windows 7 or to just install Windows 7 on a PC that already came with 8. The new Start screen is completely usable, and it doesn't take that long to get accustomed to it (especially with the small changes Microsoft has been making).
Also: "old interface"? No. It's called the Desktop for a reason. Metro apps aren't, and never were designed to be used on desktop PCs, and it's exactly why all arguments directed at Metro apps are misguided and pointless.

the win7 interface had that also, what's the improvement?
Well, excuse me for thinking that 'slower' meant 'worse' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
loldcraft
I know windows 8 is usable, I know you can get used to it. Question is why should I bother if its not better, because it works and it's newer doesn't mean it's better and thus worth changing to.
Corin:

Corin wrote:

If you want ease of access to PC settings and minor tweaks and W8-y shit, that's PC settings.
For anything else, control panel, you autist.
Great, that makes it so much better than having everything at 1 place.

Doesn't look that large to me on the desktop????
The point here is not that its large, is why did they make it 4x as large anyway? So your spastic hand can click it?
Pardon my eyesight, I'm not seeing ads
Can you help me find them please?
Here you go (I know its removable, its just bad to put ads on what users pay for.)
Also the pre-installations of skype, bing, onedrive, and other Microsoft services? nah, not advertising.

Again, what? Apps are on the taskbar now you bellend
They do? Perhaps a 1500RPM HDD isn't for you then.
The metro apps don't have a taskbar nor close button at the the top right. The comparison here is between metro and the old desktop system, if you're using the desktop interface, that's not the metro interface anymore.

YayMii:

You seem to be missing the point of the argument, the point here is not why windows 8 is usable, its what does windows 8 do better than windows 7 which would be worth my time learning about and upgrading to.
There's nothing particularly useful in the Metro Control Panel (aside from customization of the Metro interface, which makes complete sense). Pretty much everything you'd ever need will be in the desktop control panel.
It's generally easier to play with a bigger tablet area/lower dpi/bigger circle size (well, to a point). And playing in Windowed mode has little to do with how much mouse movement is required (there are so many other factors), so it's unfair to discredit full-screen players simply because of the convenience Windowed mode provides.
Its a preference, issue, so i'll bring up a more valid point: larger icons means you can put less shortcuts. Also, you could make shortcuts that large on w7 too.

Start menu means that I could simply memorize the location of all of my programs and open any with only 2 button presses.
The win7 desktop can do that too. You can even bind keyboard shortcuts to them and open them without even needing to open any menu of any sort.

But I find it dumb and pointless to waste RAM
The app I'm using takes up 3.8MB, that's not even 1% of RAM.

Why would I not install win7 onto a preinstalled win8? Its called drivers.
Why would I want to mod it back to the win 7 interface? Because I'm not going to bother learning how another interface with less useful features works.

The new Start screen is completely usable, and it doesn't take that long to get accustomed to it (especially with the small changes Microsoft has been making).
of course its usable and doesn't take long to get accustomed to, but why bother when it brings no benefits?

Also: "old interface"? No. It's called the Desktop for a reason.
And the reason is because the old interface was called the desktop.

Metro apps aren't, and never were designed to be used on desktop PCs, and it's exactly why all arguments directed at Metro apps are misguided and pointless.
Then why exactly did they decide to ship it with desktop PCs?

Well, excuse me for thinking that 'slower' meant 'worse' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Alt+tab is slower, especially when it doesn't group windows of the same app together.
TakuMii
Welp. A lot of your complaints were addressed by 8.1 and/or already confirmed to be fixed in 9. No "X" in the corner in Metro apps? That's in 8.1. Start menu icons that are "4x as large"? You can make the icons small in 8.1. No taskbar button for Metro apps? They have them in 8.1. No drivers on 7 when rolling back from 8? Windows (for the most part) has used the same drivers since Vista. Don't want a full screen Start menu? They're adding a more traditional-sized Start menu in 9. Metro apps available on desktops? Well, I'm pretty sure Microsoft practically admitted their fault with these when most of their interface updates made the desktop more usable.
and good job picking up the sarcasm in my last point

As for "benefits", how about: Proper UEFI support, built-in network metering, built in ISO mounting support, more convenient OS recovery/re-installation options (look mom, no install disc/recovery partition), better multi-monitor support, better high-resolution support, better keyboard layout support, better RAM management, better security, upcoming DirectX 12 support, a more advanced file transfer system, an improved File Explorer, a much-improved Task Manager redesign, and new convenient poweruser keyboard shortcuts, just to name a few.
Topic Starter
sinkip
Zelda wins this argument. That other kid with a poop avatar is probably like 12, so pay him no mind. I didn't want to create a fla-.. I did. Maybe.
The point is, Windows 8/.1 is so much crap and it's hilarious how people think 8.1 is "superior" just because they added the start button back. Click on it. oH NO THE METRO MENU
Yeah that's right, the button is virtually useless. Windows 7 completely destroys 8/.1 in terms of processing power, resource hogs, and most of all, video game preformance. When I had Windows 8.1, I ran osu! at atleast 120 fps. No fps cap. On Windows 7, I run it at 250 now.

its over win8fags
Vuelo Eluko
anyone who uses windows 7 or windows 8 shouldn't even be able to post in this thread most of the times during weekdays because they'll be too busy taking arts and crafts class in 6th grade

srsly kids get a real OS

Riince wrote:

i use win xp
Trash Boat
ok that's enough for today
Bweh

sinkip wrote:

its over win8fags

Riince wrote:

anyone who uses windows 7 or windows 8 shouldn't even be able to post in this thread most of the times during weekdays because they'll be too busy taking arts and crafts class in 6th grade]
0/10
Trash Boat
ok that's enough riince. your senpai tells you to stop
loldcraft
SPOILER

YayMii wrote:

Welp. A lot of your complaints were addressed by 8.1 and/or already confirmed to be fixed in 9. No "X" in the corner in Metro apps? That's in 8.1. Start menu icons that are "4x as large"? You can make the icons small in 8.1.I know, but why make them larger by default for? No taskbar button for Metro apps? They have them in 8.1.Which is basically bring the metro app the the desktop No drivers on 7 when rolling back from 8? Windows (for the most part) has used the same drivers since Vista.Just hope you're lucky enough that ALL your drivers are forwards compatible Don't want a full screen Start menu? They're adding a more traditional-sized Start menu in 9.They better do, if they follow their "good/bad/good/bad" pattern win9 should be good Metro apps available on desktops? Well, I'm pretty sure Microsoft practically admitted their fault with these when most of their interface updates made the desktop more usable.
and good job picking up the sarcasm in my last point
Isn't that basically using things from win7 to patch up the inadequacies in win8? If so, whats the benefit of upgrading then? $100 lying around?

As for "benefits", how about: Proper UEFI support,Used windows 7 in UEFI with no issues
built-in network metering,win7 had it under resource monitor
built in ISO mounting support,a little too basic but works
more convenient OS recovery/re-installation options (look mom, no install disc/recovery partition),windows 7 had that, and the recovery partitions is useful.
better multi-monitor support, better high-resolution support, better keyboard layout support,these worked perfectly in win7, there's nothing to make better. In fact that stupid DPI scaling crap made mouse lag (yes, I know its fixed)
better RAM management, That's the first thing to annoy me on windows 8. Memory leaks? Complaining out of memory with lots of RAM left? never happend on 7.
better security,can't speak for that because I've never gotten any viruses (even without firewall/antivirus)
upcoming DirectX 12 support, chances are win9 would be released by then
a more advanced file transfer system,the only thing I like about it is I didn't have to install anything to get a speed chart
an improved File Explorer,Can't say anything, didn't notice any differences
a much-improved Task Manager redesign,Definitely true, a step closer to sysinternals
and new convenient poweruser keyboard shortcuts,Because there's no start menu to put them in.
just to name a few.So I've paid to have to following freeware installed for me: Imdisk, Sysinternals, but download them anyway because they are still better. Perfect.
BrokenArrow
I respect your opinion but fuck you.
Can we end this discussion now? Everything is said and done now, Windows 8.1 is better in every aspect and anyone who disagrees is an autistic kid and worse than Hitler. Personal preferences don't matter.
Corin

Riince wrote:

anyone who uses windows 7 or windows 8 shouldn't even be able to post in this thread most of the times during weekdays because they'll be too busy taking arts and crafts class in 6th grade

srsly kids get a real OS

Riince wrote:

i use win xp
Yeah but some of us want to use more than 4GB RAM and have an OS that's supported still.
TakuMii
You know what, there's really no point in trying in continuing this, since all I'm getting from you is 'I'm not hating on Windows 8 but it's bad because of such-and-such'. I'm not forcing you to switch over, nor am I saying it's worth its price (IMO it was when it was $40, but at $120 there's really no point of upgrading if you already have 7). All I'm saying is that it's getting a lot of undeserved hate.

And I just want to correct you on a few things:

loldcraft wrote:

more convenient OS recovery/re-installation options (look mom, no install disc/recovery partition),windows 7 had that, and the recovery partitions is useful.
I'm pretty sure Windows 7 didn't give you the option of a one-click reinstallation with no need for an install disc nor recovery partition...

loldcraft wrote:

better multi-monitor support, better high-resolution support, better keyboard layout support,these worked perfectly in win7, there's nothing to make better. In fact that stupid DPI scaling crap made mouse lag (yes, I know its fixed)
1. The multimonitor support in Windows 8 has stuff that wasn't possible in Windows 7 without software like DisplayFusion. Multiple wallpapers, control over the taskbar and its behaviour on each screen (Windows 7 only allows for one taskbar on one screen), new keyboard shortcuts, etc.
2. It wasn't the DPI scaling that caused the problem with mouse lag. It was a change to input processing in general (and as you said, it was already fixed).
3. An example of why the keyboard layout support is better: By default, Windows installs 3 keyboard layouts in Canada (two of which are completely useless if you don't speak French), and would switch between them every time Ctrl+Shift was pressed (very annoying considering that many programs use those keys for keyboard shortcuts). You can remove the extra layouts in Control Panel, but a lot of people don't know how to do that and thus are stuck with having to deal with the problems it causes (not to mention that some people, like me, have a legitimate reason to switch between layouts).
On Windows 8, it was remapped to WinKey+Space, which doesn't interfere with other programs and makes it much more difficult to accidentally press (Windows 7, on the other hand, doesn't even let you remap using the WinKey).

loldcraft wrote:

Because there's no start menu to put them in.
There's no menu in Windows 7 that's this quick and convenient... And I don't want to have to browse through my Start menu every time I want to use CMD in admin mode (and I'm not going to pin it because I use other programs too).
Zelda

YayMii wrote:

3. An example of why the keyboard layout support is better: By default, Windows installs 3 keyboard layouts in Canada (two of which are completely useless if you don't speak French), and would switch between them every time Ctrl+Shift was pressed (very annoying considering that many programs use those keys for keyboard shortcuts). You can remove the extra layouts in Control Panel, but a lot of people don't know how to do that and thus are stuck with having to deal with the problems it causes (not to mention that some people, like me, have a legitimate reason to switch between layouts).
On Windows 8, it was remapped to WinKey+Space, which doesn't interfere with other programs and makes it much more difficult to accidentally press (Windows 7, on the other hand, doesn't even let you remap using the WinKey).
Correction, Windows 7 uses Alt+Shift to switch keyboard layouts, not Ctrl+Shift. And I have never seen a single application using Alt+Shift shortcuts. I would love to see an example of something that interferes with Windows 7's layout switching by using Alt+Shift shortcuts by default.
Also correction, on Windows 7 you can rightclick the layout thingamajig in your taskbar, go to Settings, and configure your layouts. Sure you can reach it from Control Panel too, but it is very easily accessible.

And what are these new keyboard shortcuts in Windows 8.1 in relation to multimonitor support ?
loldcraft
I'll just save the time of argument and sum it up:
Win8.1 is basically win7 plus new interface plus some features from freeware
If you have 7, dont waste money upgrading and install said freeware.
If you have 8.1, pick from the new or old interfaces.

Just dont use personal insults over the use of OS as they each have their own points.
unko

sinkip wrote:

Zelda wins this argument. That other kid with a poop avatar is probably like 12, so pay him no mind. I didn't want to create a fla-.. I did. Maybe.
The point is, Windows 8/.1 is so much crap and it's hilarious how people think 8.1 is "superior" just because they added the start button back. Click on it. oH NO THE METRO MENU
Yeah that's right, the button is virtually useless. Windows 7 completely destroys 8/.1 in terms of processing power, resource hogs, and most of all, video game preformance. When I had Windows 8.1, I ran osu! at atleast 120 fps. No fps cap. On Windows 7, I run it at 250 now.

its over win8fags
lol, just because it's slower on your (probably shitty pentium 4) computer, doesn't mean it applies to everyone >.>
windows 8 has been nothing but better in terms of performance, cpu heat and resource usage for me and pretty much everyone else who has a computer made after 2005

and i bet the difference wasn't even that noticable anyway; you're just exaggerating the living hell out of it because you want to please the bandwagon!!!!!!
Friendan
THE WINDOWS LOGO IS A TOTAL LOSS, THIS IS WHY
Trash Boat
ok we had enough. Mr Color, the thread is yours. Or Loctav. Or Millhiore. Or any
Vuelo Eluko
remember when everyone bought windows vista for triple digit $$$ then like 2 weeks later it was revealed "lol jk guys this was just paid beta for windows 7!" and everyone had to pay more triple digit $$$ for a version of vista that actually worked properly?

microsoft babbies please

install gentoo
Corin

Trash Boat wrote:

ok we had enough. Mr Color, the thread is yours. Or Loctav. Or Millhiore. Or any
>"we"
Who the fuck's this we you're chatting about?
This is you you knob goblin, most of us here are having fun.
Trash Boat
the "we" that I'm talking is the people that are trying to stay on-topic but are offuscated by random comments of people like Friendan and nook. that's the "we". But if you think the topic can still be saved, give it a shot then.
Vuelo Eluko

Trash Boat wrote:

the "we" that I'm talking is the people that are trying to stay on-topic but are offuscated by random comments of people like Friendan and nook. that's the "we". But if you think the topic can still be saved, give it a shot then.
Index » Other » Off-Topic
TakuMii

Zelda wrote:

Correction, Windows 7 uses Alt+Shift to switch keyboard layouts, not Ctrl+Shift. And I have never seen a single application using Alt+Shift shortcuts. I would love to see an example of something that interferes with Windows 7's layout switching by using Alt+Shift shortcuts by default.
Also correction, on Windows 7 you can rightclick the layout thingamajig in your taskbar, go to Settings, and configure your layouts. Sure you can reach it from Control Panel too, but it is very easily accessible.

And what are these new keyboard shortcuts in Windows 8.1 in relation to multimonitor support ?
Actually, Alt+Shift changes languages while Ctrl+Shift changes layouts. And Windows 7 offers very little flexibility in terms of remapping (you can swap them, remap them to the ~ key, or completely disable them. Nothing else).

And it appears that I'm mistaken... I've just tried the keyboard shortcuts I was thinking about in 7 and they work. There are one or two new shortcuts for Metro apps, but nobody cares about those
Corin

Trash Boat wrote:

wtf are you talking about you dildo, Friendan is a quality poster.
show more