forum

Don't like this game at all.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bluedoom57
I was going to post this on my earlier topic "advice on how to quit", but it was locked for some reason or another. So I'll just make a new thread for it. This was responding to someone who asked why I didn't like it, and I have a few reasons.
For one thing, the beatmaps are pretty often not even NEARLY on track with the song being played. They tend to have a lot of solo beats or sliders (good lord I hate sliders) that are in absolute no relation to the song whatsoever, and only serve to throw everything off. I've tried adjusting that universal offset thing, and it either has no effect, or it makes things far worse.
Sliders are easily my least favorite part about the game. Even if they do match up to the song, there are plenty of times that they simply don't work. I'll keep my cursor in the little circle, and I'll keep the button held down as usual, but the game just decides "Eh, we want to give you a mistake anyway." Even when this doesn't happen, moving from one slider to another more often than not results in a mistake, because that also doesn't seem to work at all. I've tried alternating keys, using the same key and pressing quicker, I've tried timing it differently, I've tried both of my keyboards, and it randomly decides whether or not it will work.
The difficulty stars are pretty much useless in my opinion, because it's always on a song by song basis anyway. One song with three stars miight be infinitely easier than another song with one star. I've been told that this is due to there being so many community made maps, but if that's the case, I'd rather the difficulty not even be there.
Another thing that I don't like personally, is the way that your health decreases even when you haven't made any mistakes. I miss a few notes here or there, my health goes down, fine. But even when I make up for it by hittiing more notes, my health barely comes back at all. And it continues to go down on it's own, so if there's a small amount of time where there aren't any notes, I fail. I fail because there were no notes for me to even hit? That seems pretty shitty to me. This particular problem I have isn't as prevalent as the others, due to the fact that *usually* the game stops the health from going down when there aren't notes for a bit. But failing because of it happens enough for it to still bother me. I've been told just to "turn on the no fail mode", but that seems pointless. If there's no risk whatsoever, there's no game. If there's no game, there's no point in playing. If there's no point in playing, I might as well just listen to the music on YouTube or something. To me, it's a pointless option, and I'd rather just have some kind of way to make the health not decrease over time.
My biggest problem I have with the game, which is entirely a personal problem, is that I can't quit, even though I very much want to. It's addicted me in a very poor way, and I can't get away from it. All I do whenever I play it, is complain about everything in it. Every little detail just makes me want to smash my computer, but I can't quit.
There'll be people commenting on this probably, telling me how I'm wrong about each of these things. There'll be those who call me an idiot, that's fine. There are those who will tell me to work to get better, but I'm not interested in getting better. I'm only posting this because I was asked to in a previous post, as I said previously. These are the reasons I dislike the game, here you go.
please
please
learn the aspects of the game before making a rant on it
please
please
nrl

bluedoom57 wrote:

I was going to post this on my earlier topic "advice on how to quit", but it was locked for some reason or another. So I'll just make a new thread for it. This was responding to someone who asked why I didn't like it, and I have a few reasons.

For one thing, the beatmaps are pretty often not even NEARLY on track with the song being played. They tend to have a lot of solo beats or sliders (good lord I hate sliders) that are in absolute no relation to the song whatsoever, and only serve to throw everything off. I've tried adjusting that universal offset thing, and it either has no effect, or it makes things far worse.

Sliders are easily my least favorite part about the game. Even if they do match up to the song, there are plenty of times that they simply don't work. I'll keep my cursor in the little circle, and I'll keep the button held down as usual, but the game just decides "Eh, we want to give you a mistake anyway." Even when this doesn't happen, moving from one slider to another more often than not results in a mistake, because that also doesn't seem to work at all. I've tried alternating keys, using the same key and pressing quicker, I've tried timing it differently, I've tried both of my keyboards, and it randomly decides whether or not it will work.

The difficulty stars are pretty much useless in my opinion, because it's always on a song by song basis anyway. One song with three stars miight be infinitely easier than another song with one star. I've been told that this is due to there being so many community made maps, but if that's the case, I'd rather the difficulty not even be there.

Another thing that I don't like personally, is the way that your health decreases even when you haven't made any mistakes. I miss a few notes here or there, my health goes down, fine. But even when I make up for it by hittiing more notes, my health barely comes back at all. And it continues to go down on it's own, so if there's a small amount of time where there aren't any notes, I fail. I fail because there were no notes for me to even hit? That seems pretty shitty to me. This particular problem I have isn't as prevalent as the others, due to the fact that *usually* the game stops the health from going down when there aren't notes for a bit. But failing because of it happens enough for it to still bother me. I've been told just to "turn on the no fail mode", but that seems pointless. If there's no risk whatsoever, there's no game. If there's no game, there's no point in playing. If there's no point in playing, I might as well just listen to the music on YouTube or something. To me, it's a pointless option, and I'd rather just have some kind of way to make the health not decrease over time.

My biggest problem I have with the game, which is entirely a personal problem, is that I can't quit, even though I very much want to. It's addicted me in a very poor way, and I can't get away from it. All I do whenever I play it, is complain about everything in it. Every little detail just makes me want to smash my computer, but I can't quit.

There'll be people commenting on this probably, telling me how I'm wrong about each of these things. There'll be those who call me an idiot, that's fine. There are those who will tell me to work to get better, but I'm not interested in getting better. I'm only posting this because I was asked to in a previous post, as I said previously. These are the reasons I dislike the game, here you go.

In order:

You're playing easies and normals. There simply isn't enough note density at those difficulties to properly fit the song, and not a whole lot of effort goes into such easy maps anyway, so the quality is only ever gonna be so-so. It gets much better once you get to hards and up because there's a lot more creative freedom for the mapper and more attention from modders and BATs. As for the timing, I guarantee you that if you're playing remotely recent maps the timing is more than adequate, especially for the low ODs you're playing at.

Sliders are something that confuse lots of new players, so let me state very clearly for you as someone who plays at a (relatively) high level that they work perfectly. This is a "play more" issue.

Difficulty stars are an excellent approximation of a map's difficulty, but you have to remember that they're only based on object density and spacing, meaning they ignore pattern complexity and stylistic differences. A map that caters to your strengths will be easier than one that doesn't, plain and simple, and because of this the star rating should always be taken with a grain of salt. It is fairly accurate, however, and infinitely better than the previous iteration in which everything hard and up was five stars.

Drain sections are just something you have to get used to. The submission process prevents unplayable maps from being ranked, so drain is essentially an accuracy wall that scales inversely with note density. It sucks sometimes, but it is what it is.

In the end there's no real reason to quit. The best thing about osu! is that if you don't care about rank decay you can play as much or as little as you want.
uzzi
Christ sakes can you format that so it's readable?
YukinoDesuDesu

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

Christ sakes can you format that so it's readable?
Rewben2
tl;dr

quit if you don't like the game, no one's forcing you to stay

Rewben2 wrote:

tl;dr

quit if you don't like the game, no one's forcing you to stay
tl;dr

OP is a fucking idiot

/thread
meteor22
please don't quit, it would make me cry
GoldenWolf
Attention whore? Attention whore.
winber1
if you can't quit you obviously like the game in some way

though considering your 389 playcount, it is very questionable how addicted you are.

and this wall of text is like complete nonsense.
Kouya-
Lol, then stop playing .

But given your long description of why you don't like this game at all . . .

You're really inexperienced with this game .

And if you think sliders or hit circles don't make sense, then I guess you don't know how to rhythm .
cheezstik

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

You're playing easies and normals. There simply isn't enough note density at those difficulties to properly fit the song, and not a whole lot of effort goes into such easy maps anyway, so the quality is only ever gonna be so-so. It gets much better once you get to hards and up because there's a lot more creative freedom for the mapper and more attention from modders and BATs. As for the timing, I guarantee you that if you're playing remotely recent maps the timing is more than adequate, especially for the low ODs you're playing at.

Sliders are something that confuse lots of new players, so let me state very clearly for you as someone who plays at a (relatively) high level that they work perfectly. This is a "play more" issue.

Difficulty stars are an excellent approximation of a map's difficulty, but you have to remember that they're only based on object density and spacing, meaning they ignore pattern complexity and stylistic differences. A map that caters to your strengths will be easier than one that doesn't, plain and simple, and because of this the star rating should always be taken with a grain of salt. It is fairly accurate, however, and infinitely better than the previous iteration in which everything hard and up was five stars.

Drain sections are just something you have to get used to. The submission process prevents unplayable maps from being ranked, so drain is essentially an accuracy wall that scales inversely with note density. It sucks sometimes, but it is what it is.

In the end there's no real reason to quit. The best thing about osu! is that if you don't care about rank decay you can play as much or as little as you want.
+1, easies are pretty good examples of maps that are usually badly mapped or don't seem to go with the song very well. Same applies to normals. They are really only useful for learning the game, or getting used to it. By your first or second day you should at least be able to pass some hards, and not complain about bad maps, as if they are ranked and not older than 2 years, they probably aren't bad.

Easies and normals should just serve as easy pp or rank when fced with dt + hr all the way to <200,000. If you still can't play hards comfortably by then, or decide to blame it on maps being bad, then I think you're just making excuses for your lack of skill.

All that aside, no one is forcing you to play, you can quit osu if you like, you don't gain much playing this game if you don't like it. I'm sure anyone with a 5 digit rank or better doesn't have these problems - that's 100 thousand people that disagree with you, maybe you're the one with the problem, not the game ;).
Ichi
Almost everything you mentioned here is in fact what makes the game good IMO.
If you don´t like the game and did not even put time into learning, why do you even bother to write a shitty paragraph.

I´ll try to breathe and relax...
Vuelo Eluko
ive played a lot and i agree sliders are shit 99% of the time. i wish maps had more circles nowadays. sliders are just this silly thing you can be lazy on movement and tapping accuracy on and still not get a 100/miss... and every map has like 2 sliders to every circle now wtf...

Ironically I hate sliders for a reason that's completely opposite to the original posters, but i disregarded most of his post because it was just the rantings of someone who hasn't even learned the basics yet and is far from qualified to say it's bad...
I Give Up
@OP Games are fundamentally designed to challenge. osu! with no drain, no chance of mistakes, no 100s or 50s would not be a challenge, and therefore would not be a game. Have a sense of sportsmanship.
B1rd
this really should be locked.
Noobsicle
MiloSx7
Do you even have friends?
Why would ANYONE who dislikes the game come to this forum, make 30 lines LONG statement on why he would quit this game and, not surprisingly, keep playing? What are you trying to accomplish?
I invited a lot of my friends to this game, they ALL had the SAME problem like you do. Just keep playing. Eventually you'll get into it. Now stop bitching. If you were to actually quit you'd just uninstall and move on instead of bitching.
Have a nice day

MiloSx7 wrote:

Why would ANYONE who dislikes the game come to this forum, make 30 lines LONG statement on why he would quit this game and, not surprisingly, keep playing? What are you trying to accomplish?
I invited a lot of my friends to this game, they ALL had the SAME problem like you do. Just keep playing. Eventually you'll get into it. Now stop bitching. If you were to actually quit you'd just uninstall and move on instead of bitching.
Have a nice day
OP is that guy that G&R rages about constantly
they never go away because they never have a social life
Mythras

Faces3 wrote:

MiloSx7 wrote:

Have a nice day
OP is that guy that G&R rages about constantly
they never go away because they never have a social life
i thought that was riince? :D

j/k

@OP I hated the game for similar reasons till I had like 1000 plays, the problem is you suck ass and probably need to properly setup your game (correct sens, correct refresh rate, disable aero, correct tablet area, correct fps limit, correct window or fullscreen (whatevers good for you).

If you don't like osu though I think we can do without bluedoom57 without you making a giant wall of text not a single person is going to agree with you on.

tl;dr go play hello kitty island adventure
show more