1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Skinning
posted

Hello!

I've finally decided to make a more public release of my skin. This is something I have been working on for almost 9 months, adding bits and pieces all the time. I have made some smaller releases in the past, so if you've seen any of the elements in this skin before, well here's the "source". I have made every single image file in this skin myself from scratch. The only parts I can't claim direct ownership of is some of the soundfiles.

It's a simple skin with a lot of colors and clear shapes. It's a little bit flashy, though I would describe it as energetic :)

I don't mind if people want to take my elements and use them in their own personal skins with no strings attached. However if you're going to make a public release here in the skinning forum I would like to see my name in the credits with a link back to this thread!
Share as much as you want, no need to ask for my permission directly, consider this paragraph the answer to all such questions. However if you're still unsure, just ask anyway, It's no bother.

Extras

There's a folder packed in named "not used", it contains a few extra elements.
  1. Numbers for hitcircles
  2. A few thickness options for the hitcircle
  3. A playfield border modification. Let's you view the osu standard playfield while playing. Doesn't work very well with the other modes, which is why it's not a default element. However if you only play standard and/or CtB, I think it's a very cool addition! Read more about it here
  4. A couple of options for sounds, mainly combo breaks. I personally use the DAMMIT sound :)
  5. Blank/Silent sliderwhistle sounds, I think the choir replacement I have is pretty neat, but I understand it's not going to be everyone's favorite. Lots of skins leave the sliderwhistle sounds blank by default, but I included them as extras, do as you like.

Small note here: the mania playfield is supposed to center aligned, but it only really does that for 1920x1080 resolutions. It's impossible to make it center for all resolutions so I just set it to match the one I use, sorry. If you're not pleased with the position of the mania playfield, go into the numbered #K.ini files and change the "ColumnStart" value.

Images and video

The full gallery of images can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/l2zxi#0

The same images can be viewed in the boxes below but grouped in categories. I strongly suggest using the gallery link above, but whatever suits you I guess!

Video preview
standard: http://puu.sh/b5Ee0/ffd1fc19ae.webm
osu!mania: http://puu.sh/b5Eg9/1cb043d0ed.webm
normal, soft and drum hitsounds http://puu.sh/b5M4l/b5d9434076.webm (music volume 20% SFX volume 70%) plain circle - clap - whistle - finish - plain slider - slider whistle.
Maybe I'll make more videos, no promises.

I'm not any good at video editing so this is what you're gonna have to settle for...

Well that's it! I hope you like it.

Download: http://puu.sh/b4fjb/7a34ef47ab.osk v6
mirror: here

1. 24-08-2014 Public release (v6)
  2. 01-08-2014 v5
  3. 15-06-2014 v4.5
  4. 12-04-2014 v4.4
  5. 06-04-2014 v4.3
  6. 26-03-2014 v4.2
  7. 29-01-2014 v3
  8. 20-01-2014 v2
  9. 18-12-2013 v1
posted
cool skin but having imgur as your image hosting site is not cool. try Shift+F12 instead.
posted

OsuMe65 wrote:

cool skin but having imgur as your image hosting site is not cool. try Shift+F12 instead.
Is there a problem with it? If it's breaking some rule or something I'll of course change it, but I've not seen something like that.

I really like having a static gallery link that I can keep up to date. So I can give people a single url, instead of 40 different ones. It saves both me and the other person time. Unless there's a gallery function in the shift+f12 method that I'm unaware of I'll stick to what I have.

edit: I made a mistake in my links earlier, now they resize properly without redirecting you to the imgur website.
posted
äntligen wowowowowowowo
posted
Neat.

I really like the neon look you managed to give to your skin without making it a blinding lightfest.
The way you made Back/skip/mode/mod/random/selectoptions is amazing. Me likes •w•
It looks like a smooth mix of slightly different styles when you compare UI elements, hitcircles etc, but I think It just reflects the evolution of your taste over time. Which is a nice thing :D

Overall it looks gorgeous, and plays quite nicely. Thanks for sharing your skin with us :)

On the other hand, If I can make a few remarks :
- The spinner is wobbly in 1920*1080. Didn't test other resolutions but... D:
- The HP bar metre marker thing (scorebar-ki) is somewhat very distracting *^*
- I believe you used the "century-gothic" font for score numbers and punctuation. (as I am using the same font in a skin I'm currently making :D)
This is pure personal taste, but I think the % looks a bit ugly by default. what I did to mine was just mirror the bottom part and apply symmetry to make it look nicer, like this
posted

Kheryo wrote:

Neat.

I really like the neon look you managed to give to your skin without making it a blinding lightfest.
The way you made Back/skip/mode/mod/random/selectoptions is amazing. Me likes •w•
It looks like a smooth mix of slightly different styles when you compare UI elements, hitcircles etc, but I think It just reflects the evolution of your taste over time. Which is a nice thing :D

Overall it looks gorgeous, and plays quite nicely. Thanks for sharing your skin with us :)

On the other hand, If I can make a few remarks :
- The spinner is wobbly in 1920*1080. Didn't test other resolutions but... D:
- The HP bar metre marker thing (scorebar-ki) is somewhat very distracting *^*
- I believe you used the "century-gothic" font for score numbers and punctuation. (as I am using the same font in a skin I'm currently making :D)
This is pure personal taste, but I think the % looks a bit ugly by default. what I did to mine was just mirror the bottom part and apply symmetry to make it look nicer, like this
Haha yeah it has indeed been a slow evolution of style. But overall I think it all fits together somewhat. I'm happy with how it looks at the moment, and that's all that matters.

Some quick answers:
- Spinner is wobbly on purpose!
- Hmm, I think I wanted the scoreboard-ki to be highly visible, so you can "see" it without looking directly at it while playing. I think you get used to it with time! But like everything in skins, it's a preference.
- Yeah It's indeed Century Gothic, it's a very neat font :) I don't mind the % symbol as it is. Yours look really nice too.
posted
% is just fine by default. Having stylized spinners would result in a "wobbly" effect, which is quite hopeless to fix.
posted
The spinner was perfectly aligned at first, but I offset the outer ring by 2 pixels because I couldn't tell if I was spinning it or not. It didn't give me any feedback while playing. The middle hexagon of the spinner is still perfectly centered.

It feels great after a while if you stop thinking of it as a flaw and start treating it as a feature. The wobble is intentional!
posted

Ravidge wrote:

The spinner was perfectly aligned at first, but I offset it by 2 pixels because I couldn't tell if I was spinning it or not. It didn't give me any feedback while playing.

It feels great after a while if you stop thinking of it as a flaw and start treating it as a feature. The wobble is intentional!

It's still a very weird feeling to me .o.
But apart from that, it's indeed a very nice skin.

Looking forward to your future work, hoping I can someday learn photoshop-fu techniques as strong as yours :D
posted
I did not notice the wobble. At all. Huh.

ALSO THESE HITSOUNDS ARE HEAVEN
posted
Simply awesome! amazing job there.
posted
Cool skin!I really like the style of mania mode.Very easy to read.
mods also good.Is almost impeccable.
posted
Really nice skin, you put the effort to make some elements of taiko but not the slider. :/
posted
Beautiful skin, good job *-*
posted
can we just take a moment to appreciate this gorgeous skin
love love love
posted
Really love your skin and the playfield o3o
Oh and are there anyway to change the word "Performance" on the scorebat ? I like to put my username there :D
posted
visually great but i was unable to even achieve an 88% on songs I have previously had 97%+ accuracy on which seems to be due to the hitsounds being not to my liking. I stuck mine in instead and it works fine!
posted
do u plan on changing it to Version 2.0/1/2
posted
i love your skin but! the ctb skin ;w; if you can change it for idk amm circles and change the ryuta. I'm just giving my opinion
posted

Hansel Idk wrote:

do u plan on changing it to Version 2.0/1/2
It's already 2.1 however I have no plans up upgrading that further at the moment. The only real reason for this is because of how the difficulty stars are shown in song select in 2.2 and higher.

The "difficulty bars" that I use just don't work with that new rendering method. And I personally think it's a big enough deal to keep it 2.1

TheMahiSik wrote:

i love your skin but! the ctb skin ;w; if you can change it for idk amm circles and change the ryuta. I'm just giving my opinion
You're probably right, I don't play CtB so I really have no idea what makes one ctb skin better than any other.

I absolutely don't mind if you want to go ahead and replace the elements you dislike. Don't ever feel forced to use anything if you believe there's better alternatives for you out there.

Personally, since I play ctb on such a beginner level and extremely casually I enjoy my CtB elements as they are, 'they work for me' so to speak.

--------------

I've had one or two ask for the scorebar-bg psd so they can write their own text instead of the bland "Performance" label, and I saw no reason why not to share it so here you go:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/128 ... g%402x.psd
The font used for this particular element is "Kimberley", hope that helps!

Also thanks to everyone for the kind words and downloads so far, I appreciate the support!
show more