forum

To FC or not to FC?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FlyingKebab
So here is my game routine i follow each time i play:
1. Play Super Nuko World [Guy's Extra] (5.57) with NF and fail terribly with 60-70% Acc to warm up a bit. (Rank that map its too MOE not to be ranked :3).
2. Click on my 5 Star map Collection and just play some 5 star maps with NF on and finish warming up (Usually it takes from 30 mins to an hour).
3. Click 4 star maps, sort by rank achieved and type in stars>4 and proceed to get better plays on C's and B's.
4. At the end of a session go into the "Super maps to die from" collection and play a few super maps (Pluto/Everything Will Freeze/Airman/Freedom Dive/Atama no Taisou/Scarlet Rose/Big Black/Rainbow Dash/Eighto/Image Material) to drain the last bit of will and strength i have left to play osu! for the day.

My aim on 4 star maps or the maps i try to get better ranks on is just to get higher acc/more combo count to get pp.

Should i retry the A maps i have 9000 times to FC them? I haven't FC'ed something since normals i think. Or do i just proceed with my daily routine? I usually rack up a few thousand ranks each day and get atleast a few A's on the maps i play. I see my progress quite obviously by seeing my acc rising each day.
Vuelo Eluko
warming up on stuff thats too hard is viable... I've seen WWW whip out the DT+NF on stuff that just should not be DT'd when he first logs on before he really starts playing.

but doing it for general practice... i wouldn't, you'll just start up a nasty mashing habit.

whether or not you care about fcs depends on whether you care about rank... i have a friend lower ranked than me who can get 70% into big black and clear maps like jumppudding with ease and at only 11k playcount because he disregarded rank and fcing entirely in favor of just always playing hard stuff.

note "hard stuff" does not = stuff you need nofail for. just stuff you pass with B's. there is absolutely no point in for example nofailing most of the maps you listed for anything but as an initial warmup.
Genki1000
I didn't know people actually had some kind of routine for playing a game.

I only bother trying to full combo maps I know I can full combo.
Topic Starter
FlyingKebab
I'm not sure i can full combo anything tbh. My aim is to FC but i don't do an overkill amount of retries to get a FC. I usually retry maybe 3 to 4 times and that's it. I don't really mash with NF, the only spots in maps where i mash but hit is the super fast mini sliders, i don't really see any other way. Maybe I just think i am mashing when i am not because i do hit them without slider breaks or anything. Even on maps like Eighto, even though i don't hit the majority of the things on screen but the amount of clicks A/S is about the same as the amount of notes the song has.
cheezstik
Just looked at your top performances list, I think its pretty impressive that you got to that rank without fcing anything harder than a normal, you clearly have a lot of raw skill. If you practice and improve your consistency enough to be able to fc songs with 95%+ accuracy then you could easily and quickly hit 1.5kpp total., which is equivalent to around 29k rank global.

If you don't really care about rank and just play really hard maps for the fun of it, then keep doing it, it's not like you won't improve at all, its just that your rank and skill will improve a lot slower. Accuracy makes a big difference in the amount of pp a map gives, and your accuracy won't be trained well from doing this method. For example, I got 99.5% on a song fc for 54pp, my friend did the same song fc with 93% accuracy and only got 18pp. Even small accuracy differences make big differences in pp, going from 97% to 99% on the same song gave me 114pp instead of 92pp. Accuracy is pretty important in higher ranks, you wont see someone in the top 100 get less than 98% on an important song very often, so what you are getting right now (88-95%) is definitely not good enough later on.
Topic Starter
FlyingKebab
I have a consistency problem in pretty much everything i do. The most obvious examples would be osu and in real life it would be school i almost always get an 9 (A-) because of some epic mistake of like 16 - 7 = 8 or the square root of an unknown i forget to write +- and etc. or in chemistry i forget to divide by the mole count to get an even amount and small things like that. It is quite hard to remedy this flaw of mine :< .

EDIT: i should say that if i can't learn something by skill or ease i will just brute force my way to it.
cheezstik

FlyingKebab wrote:

I have a consistency problem in pretty much everything i do. The most obvious examples would be osu and in real life it would be school i almost always get an 9 (A-) because of some epic mistake of like 16 - 7 = 8 or the square root of an unknown i forget to write +- and etc. or in chemistry i forget to divide by the mole count to get an even amount and small things like that. It is quite hard to remedy this flaw of mine :< .

EDIT: i should say that if i can't learn something by skill or ease i will just brute force my way to it.
Lol your maths consistency doesn't have a whole lot to do with osu though, so that's not really important :P. Some people would even think something like writing with a pen / pencil equates to aim with a tablet, but in reality my handwriting was shit before I started playing with tablet, and it still is.
Sophia
Heya. Do you remember me? Probably not.

Playing hard stuff to warm up isn't bad, and playing things slightly out of your league (4 stars, for example, although from 4.1 to 4.9 there's plenty of difference) is good to improve.

However, if you want to gain PP / rank up, it's much better to go ahead and Full Combo things inside your skill level (Or outside of it, too, if you manage to do it). Keep in mind that Accuracy is important.
Topic Starter
FlyingKebab

Dm1321 wrote:

Heya. Do you remember me? Probably not.

Playing hard stuff to warm up isn't bad, and playing things slightly out of your league (4 stars, for example, although from 4.1 to 4.9 there's plenty of difference) is good to improve.

However, if you want to gain PP / rank up, it's much better to go ahead and Full Combo things inside your skill level (Or outside of it, too, if you manage to do it). Keep in mind that Accuracy is important.
I do remember, but you said that i was going to create a thread about accuracy which i didn't ^_^. I can't play most things above 4.6~ stars (My highest star survived was 5.33 i think). I still think accuracy comes out of the ease of how it is to play a given map. I still have to pay some attention to the 4 star maps when i play them and that is why i don't get high accuracy yet. FC's are going to start happening some time i know it ;_; .
Topic Starter
FlyingKebab
I decided to just test the play more theory. I will download a **** ton of beatmaps and play a **** ton of them in the upcoming week by just going to 4 stars pressing F2 and playing a map, if i die i give it 2 more retries, when i finish i just esc F2 and go again. I am interested to see what the result will be at the end of the upcoming week.
GoldenWolf

FlyingKebab wrote:

I decided to just test the play more theory. I will download a **** ton of beatmaps and play a **** ton of them in the upcoming week by just going to 4 stars pressing F2 and playing a map, if i die i give it 2 more retries, when i finish i just esc F2 and go again. I am interested to see what the result will be at the end of the upcoming week.
Don't expect to see major difference in only a week.
Nutella

GoldenWolf wrote:

FlyingKebab wrote:

This has actually made me improve, went from rank 38k to the rank 12k by not playing the same maps over and over. It is a lot of fun and gives you a ton of experience in my opinion & personal experience. (Took me almost no time to get here)
Bauxe

yNutella wrote:

This has actually made me improve, went from rank 38k to the rank 12k by not playing the same maps over and over. It is a lot of fun and gives you a ton of experience in my opinion & personal experience. (Took me almost no time to get here)
You know, just because you rank up doesn't mean there is improvement. It could mean your skill level was higher than what your rank was, and you were simply gaining PP you could have previously got.
Topic Starter
FlyingKebab

GoldenWolf wrote:

FlyingKebab wrote:

Well one week is a lot of time for change in my eyes. A lot can happen in 1 week :3.
GoldenWolf
Not in osu! mang
It's about improving little by little over months, not expecting to see changes right away lol
Topic Starter
FlyingKebab
Stuff happens \:D/ .
Nutella

Bauxe wrote:

yNutella wrote:

You know, just because you rank up doesn't mean there is improvement. It could mean your skill level was higher than what your rank was, and you were simply gaining PP you could have previously got.

Actually there was a lot of improvement, by then I was doing 3.3 star maps (with trouble), now I'm doing from 4.8 and above.
Sophia
Playing different maps makes you improve both overall skill and rank. I don't think all of that jump came from just these maps though, but also because you had already played.
Topic Starter
FlyingKebab
I am sure at this point that after a week my consistency will go up by a lot. I'm going to try to rank to 45K today. A good warm up always works ^_^.

EDIT: 45K depends on how lucky i get with plays today :<.