forum

Sudden spikes and downfalls in skill - what is happening ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AltR
In the span of the last few days I did what I didn't think was possible ever in such a short amount of time - gained almost 100pp
Moved from 3star maps to 3.5-4 stars and actually did very good, usually got 200+ combos, FC'd some old Hard maps that I found difficult, and got an amazing combo on an Insane map

All of this was amazing and a first for me

Now since yesterday everything suddenly went very wrong - I couldn't even get a 100 combo on most of those maps that I 'aced', some of them I even failed not even halfway through. Nothing my settings or my choice of skin changed, my skill just somehow massively deteriorated overnight ... ??

I tried to shrug this off as not having properly warmed up, but ~50 plays later I'm still doing really bad
Not to mention, this has happened before, on a smaller scale, but was just as frustrating

What the hell is going on ? this can't be normal :!:
uberpancake
Welcome to ossssssssss

In my experience it is completely normal. Happens to everyone now and then.
- O n i -
take caffeine
piruchan
It's as normal as breathing oxygen.

You will be way above your skill level for one day and play so bad the next day it makes you want to cry in a corner.
YukinoDesuDesu
take a nap
KagamiHRS
Did your (gaming) mouse sensitivity just got set wrongly? If your mouse only has one fixed DPI setting or if your aim are still is as good as ever then I am of no help and the rest below is BS.
You would not have known which DPI setting you were playing before, so try clicking on that DPI button a few time to find the one which you which give that skill back as if you were playing with that setting before.

It actually happened to me, but I realized it near the end of my session. I noticed one day my skill was worse, found out mouse DPI was unknowingly set to 1600 dpi instead of 1200 dpi. Fixed it the same day and it returned my skill to normal.
autofanboy
just play from time to time and then you fc later
and then you rest then play again

cycle
xGx

Topic Starter
AltR
thanks everyone!

KagamiHRS wrote:

Did your (gaming) mouse sensitivity just got set wrongly? If your mouse only has one fixed DPI setting or if your aim are still is as good as ever then I am of no help and the rest below is BS.
You would not have known which DPI setting you were playing before, so try clicking on that DPI button a few time to find the one which you which give that skill back as if you were playing with that setting before.

It actually happened to me, but I realized it near the end of my session. I noticed one day my skill was worse, found out mouse DPI was unknowingly set to 1600 dpi instead of 1200 dpi. Fixed it the same day and it returned my skill to normal.
I don't have a gaming mouse so I don't have to worry about this, mine is rather cheap, bought from a random computer store :D
my sensitivity on the windows thing is 7 with precision off
raw input off (and 1.0) on osu

alienflybot wrote:

just play from time to time and then you fc later
and then you rest then play again

cycle
this sounds like a good idea
maybe I took the 'play/practice more to get better' advice that is passed around this forum all the time too literally
Vuelo Eluko
Some people like SnowWhite or Rucker are blessed with incredible levels of consistency
most of us aren't.
GoldenWolf
These are called good and bad days
Gumpy

GoldenWolf wrote:

These are called good and bad days
They are very common.
Blueprint
Generally when you have a really good day the next day you will still remember how good you were (not your average performance) so to you, you think your performing bad because your not performing above average.
gameon123321
Well, it's hard to be consistent. Make sure you're getting enough sleep. As a general guideline, when you're tired after you get up & drained at the keyboard, you aren't going to do as well.
Spikes and downfalls are normal, they represent days when you were rested and prepared and days when you weren't.
A1R
FPS can also influence gameplay and how you play.
What i generally do when i notice drops in skill is i take a day/week rest (depending on the drop) from osu then start playing again and within 2-3 days i can notice improvement again. Also on a general note don't play the same beatmaps too often, that's why you are noticing a drop in skill lvl. keep your collection updated and try not to play the same beatmap day after day after day that's what made me worse in osu! once, took me a month to get over it.
But this is just advice everything is different for everybody.