forum

How often do you switch keys?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loves
I've found that after playing extensively on Z/X, that the mechanical (red) switches aren't as crisp as they used to be, compared to the other keys on the board. Then I moved to F/G for a while and now that problems occurring again.

Is this a placebo or is it expected to switch keys every 6 months of playing?
deletemyaccount
I use a red mechanical keyboard and also switch keys all the time. My reasoning is though that if I use two keys too much, they might break.

It actually happened to me, I only used D/F for a really long time and my F key kinda broke, it doesn't input unless I hold it down for like 3 seconds.

In terms of the crispness of the keys, I do find that different keys on the keyboard feel different in terms of actuation force and stuff so yeah I don't think it's a placebo.
[Bystander]
The X key on my old mechanical keyboard makes a "pinging" sound really bad now (Red Switches) and I haven't even played that long.
None of the other keys ping.
meteor22

Loves wrote:

Is this a placebo or is it expected to switch keys every 6 months of playing?

Even if this is true, you can still play for many many years until you wear out your keyboard, so you're okay.
Gumpy
Until my rubber dome keyboard key's become slow.
sayonara_sekai
I'm not saying its a placebo or that the switches dont wear out but I've been using my black switch kb for 4 years and my WASD feel exactly the same as every other key. Same for my xc (even though I only have like 15k plays in osu)
Snow
I'd occasionally just want to try out new key binds to see if I'm more comfortable, this usually happens every 2-3 weeks.
Mainly varies from Z+X to J+K
Dammie
I use a cheap membrane keyboard (thinking about get a mechanical one) so i change when i see they keys are too used and they get too ''hardy'' to press. But i dont go too far, i mean, i use z,x > x,c> c,v etc..
xGx

Kaitou Kid
when you say keys do you mean the key caps or the actual switch itself?

how do you break a key cap :o
B1rd
you should claim warranty if it's still valid, since most keyboards claim like 60 million key presses.
Bweh
Never. I'll typically clean the keyboard every six months but I don't see the need to.
GoldenWolf
Whenever a key break, so that's around every 2-3 months.
kisata
I recently switched to S/D since the W key on my mech broke ;_+
silmarilen
seems like those mech keyboards that are supposed to be so durable arent very durable after all
been using my kb for 3 years and still havent switched keys for osu
GoldenWolf

silmarilen wrote:

seems like those mech keyboards that are supposed to be so durable arent very durable after all
Only if you have the RAZER BLACKWIDOW
I Give Up
It could also be your play style, if you keep bashing buttons hard you can destroy it pretty quick. What used to be 50 million key-cycle would now be reduced to a million or so presses. I also reckon that the 50 million thing is more of a marketing sticker -- this was done in a lab environment, applying minimum required force using a machine. In reality our keyboards can be exposed to all kinds of elements and we tend to abuse our keyboards from time to time.

But if you're the type that don't rage or press keys too hard, then it may be a placebo effect or just a cheap/faulty keyboard.
jasian
I play with Del and End keys on a tenkeyless keyboard. No need to worry about switching keys or not being able to use keys anymore since the I only use those 2 keys for osu!.
Yakuyan
If you own a shitty rubber dome, you'll realize that most keys have different stiffness. So whenever I find good keys to use, I just use them.

Z/X ----> C/V ----> A/S ----> W/E ----> and finally `/1
B1rd

litejason wrote:

I play with Del and End keys on a tenkeyless keyboard. No need to worry about switching keys or not being able to use keys anymore since the I only use those 2 keys for osu!.
same here. though I can't stream with my normal mx black keyboard I bought, I've ordered tenkeyless mx red for 300bpm streaming.
twinshiggy
Once my keyboard breaks,
I'll just buy a new one.
Makan1
on my membrane keyboard, I used the same ZX forever and I can feel thats its so worn down to the point where I believe its easier to press than reds XD
It feels like 0.6x the weight to press down compared to keys which I dont use that much.

also... how do keys break on a mech keyboard??? I thought they were invincible and can withstand even the highest levels of rage.
- I did use the QW keys, but that was when I started playing and I didn't own a keyboard, only used my laptop.
also can stream 245-255 bpm on membrane so I destroyed the idea of only mech going over 220...
Ichi
I never had to switch keys, and if i do i want my money back. 50 million presses bullshit, should last until im 40
Karuta-_old_1
have been using nothing but Z and X for 5 years, no keyboard problems (as long as the board work fine and the key pops back)
sasakura
I should probably consider switching keys because z and x feel worn out and not as responsive.. however I use a random cheap keyboard (>_<) might as well get a mech
tfg50
I have never changed my keys. The way my tablet is positioned under my keyboard forces me to play on the extreme left of the keyboard (or play in a uncomfortable position). Maybe that's just me and the way I'm used to use the keyboard/mouse from cs. Also, I think I like this keyboard more when it is worn out.
xsrsbsns
i play with a laptop so the keys break/fall off pretty easily
changed every 4-6 months probably like every ~8k playcount lol

on E/R now

show more