The secret of being pro.

posted
Total Posts
34
show more
Vuelo Eluko

OneArmedScissor wrote:

I started getting better in osu! after I said to myself: "why do I even try? I'm always gonna suck at this". Make no mistake - I still suck, but I'm way better and I used to be and the whole thing is a lot more fun to do.
So I mostly agree with you except for one point: it's not the secret of being pro. It's the secret of enjoying the game.
wish i knew how to have fun
i play just to get better
Volcanism

gadrin wrote:

I find joy in accomplishment.
This is so true.
OneArmedScissor

Riince wrote:

i play just to get better
That's why you don't have fun.
[-Cloud-]
Master yourself, master the enemy.
Insyni
So, I know I'm bad. If I have hit a wall because I don't know how to improve/ what part to focus on to get better, does that mean my willpower is lacking or that my knowledge is lacking?
Volcanism

DustyFfy wrote:

So, I know I'm bad. If I have hit a wall because I don't know how to improve/ what part to focus on to get better, does that mean my willpower is lacking or that my knowledge is lacking?
It is usually a mix of both, but you have to realise that 99% of the time, you definitely haven't reached your limit. Also, if you hit a wall, sometimes it is a good idea to take a break.

Always remember, the only way to improve is to play.
Topic Starter
gadrin

DustyFfy wrote:

So, I know I'm bad. If I have hit a wall because I don't know how to improve/ what part to focus on to get better, does that mean my willpower is lacking or that my knowledge is lacking?
You never reach a wall, it was just a figure of speech i used to help emphasize my point, that when you think you are bad, that means there is room for imporvement, basically this means you will always be bad, and people ironically think that this means they hit a wall, where in reality it is quite the opposite.


Ask yourself the question, why are you bad? Then based on the answer, move on.
Illkryn
The secret of being pro;

Play more
Insyni

gadrin wrote:

You never reach a wall, it was just a figure of speech i used to help emphasize my point, that when you think you are bad, that means there is room for improvement, basically this means you will always be bad, and people ironically think that this means they hit a wall, where in reality it is quite the opposite.


Ask yourself the question, why are you bad? Then based on the answer, move on.
If it was that easy, people wouldn't come to the forums asking "how do I get better" questions on a regular basis.

Usually the answer is to practice/play more, but sometimes people do practice more and fail to get better. Does this mean that the answer is wrong, or the way the person approached the answer is incorrect?
Topic Starter
gadrin

DustyFfy wrote:

gadrin wrote:

You never reach a wall, it was just a figure of speech i used to help emphasize my point, that when you think you are bad, that means there is room for improvement, basically this means you will always be bad, and people ironically think that this means they hit a wall, where in reality it is quite the opposite.


Ask yourself the question, why are you bad? Then based on the answer, move on.
If it was that easy, people wouldn't come to the forums asking "how do I get better" questions on a regular basis.

Usually the answer is to practice/play more, but sometimes people do practice more and fail to get better. Does this mean that the answer is wrong, or the way the person approached the answer is incorrect?
That means you misunderstood the reason i made this post. This is not a tutorial on how to be pro, this is simply a motivation post i made for people who complain about sucking. Although i do agree the title might be misleading. It is true that to improve one must play more, but that doesn't debunk my theory at all, it does in a way reinforce it in fact.
GoldenWolf

DustyFfy wrote:

If it was that easy, people wouldn't come to the forums asking "how do I get better" questions on a regular basis.

Usually the answer is to practice/play more, but sometimes people do practice more and fail to get better. Does this mean that the answer is wrong, or the way the person approached the answer is incorrect?
Improving in itself is easy, just play stuff that is challenging to you

Most people come here thinking there is some sort of tips or secret to get better other than simply playing more
Zare

GoldenWolf wrote:

DustyFfy wrote:

If it was that easy, people wouldn't come to the forums asking "how do I get better" questions on a regular basis.

Usually the answer is to practice/play more, but sometimes people do practice more and fail to get better. Does this mean that the answer is wrong, or the way the person approached the answer is incorrect?
Improving in itself is easy, just play stuff that is challenging to you

Most people come here thinking there is some sort of tips or secret to get better other than simply playing more
granted, just mindlessly playing whatever isn't always the most efficient way to improve.
There's stuff to understand and to focus on, which may or may not improve your overall enjoyment of the game and the rate at which you improve at certain aspects of the game
Insyni

gadrin wrote:

That means you misunderstood the reason i made this post. This is not a tutorial on how to be pro, this is simply a motivation post i made for people who complain about sucking. Although i do agree the title might be misleading. It is true that to improve one must play more, but that doesn't debunk my theory at all, it does in a way reinforce it in fact.
I was just making a point that people looking for help often think they hit a wall. They don't know why they are bad, making it harder to move forwards.

It's not the title I was looking at anyways, it was simply the wording of the post. I guess I was a bit too analytic about it... lol
Topic Starter
gadrin

DustyFfy wrote:

They don't know why they are bad
If someone says they are bad, they must have some kind of justification, or a reason why they think that way. You can't just jump out of a puddle and shout "HEY LOOK IM BAD" You need to know why you are bad, or have a reason to say that. Otherwise its just... a meaningless comment
Monstrata
If people who were bad knew how to improve, this forum would be a ghost town...
randomizer89

Illkryn wrote:

The secret of being pro;

Play more
you lier the secret is buy tablet and mech kb, and you can play like cookiezi
Insyni

gadrin wrote:

DustyFfy wrote:

They don't know why they are bad
If someone says they are bad, they must have some kind of justification, or a reason why they think that way. You can't just jump out of a puddle and shout "HEY LOOK IM BAD" You need to know why you are bad, or have a reason to say that. Otherwise its just... a meaningless comment
People don't necessarily need to notice specific errors in their playing to know they are bad. They can just look at the high scores to see how they are placed against other people. They can also play multiplayer and always end up in last place in a difficulty they thought they were confident in.

-If a person performs worse than someone with equal to less experience than you, wouldn't that person say they're bad?
-If a map seems easy, a person can't pass it without no-fail, but they still end up with a B in accuracy, wouldn't that person say they're bad?
-If a person passed a map a few months ago a few times, came back to it and were unable to pass it again, wouldn't they say they're bad?

monstrata wrote:

If people who were bad knew how to improve, this forum would be a ghost town...
So true... lol
Ichi
At one point in time you will realise how stupid you were about wanting to inmediatly become/good/pro or top rank too fast, there´s no way around it and eventually you will become uninterested in the game if you continue with this. It is a rhytm game, play songs and enjoy them as well as the mapping styles, do some multplayer and maybe talk to peoplei, do not get frustrated over the game while also trying to learn. If you only find joy in accomplishment then will you have a bad day if you didn´t get pp? Sounds stupid to me now yet it sort of happened to me.

Just so you know, getting to be pro will take like 3-4 years or so, and even with that some people sadly won´t be able to get past a certain skill level. So get used to it and start to enjoy playing because even if you get there, you will then ask yourself what now? or why did i waste so much time crying about improvement when now i play for months and i almost stay the same?.. i know it´s not that easy but eventually we learn it some way or another.
ETHICALMOUSEUSE
I play to improve; that's what I'll do with most games, if I don't set myself high goals then I don't see much point
osu is more frustrating then it is fun, especially due to my inconsistency during play, but the ideal of setting these goals make it worth it
Topic Starter
gadrin

Ichi wrote:

At one point in time you will realise how stupid you were about wanting to inmediatly become/good/pro or top rank too fast, there´s no way around it and eventually you will become uninterested in the game if you continue with this. It is a rhytm game, play songs and enjoy them as well as the mapping styles, do some multplayer and maybe talk to peoplei, do not get frustrated over the game while also trying to learn. If you only find joy in accomplishment then will you have a bad day if you didn´t get pp? Sounds stupid to me now yet it sort of happened to me.

Just so you know, getting to be pro will take like 3-4 years or so, and even with that some people sadly won´t be able to get past a certain skill level. So get used to it and start to enjoy playing because even if you get there, you will then ask yourself what now? or why did i waste so much time crying about improvement when now i play for months and i almost stay the same?.. i know it´s not that easy but eventually we learn it some way or another.
Wait what.. I never said I.. um... I've played this game for a year, i know how to stick around. I'm implying you are referring to me here, due to the fact you quoted what I said "If you only find joy in accomplishment then will you have a bad day if you didn´t get pp?"

I do not count pp as an accomplishment, I barely care about pp. To me an accomplishment is completing a map I couldn't complete, or doing that stream i couldn't do... and it happens daily .-. It's because I'm bad, and I know why I'm bad, that's why I want to improve. I never once mentioned i will become pro easily, hell I never even mentioned ever becoming pro.. ;; What is your point orz
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply