forum

Any good trackball players willing to give some advice?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bobbyboi
So I got into osu about 2 months ago, and I've been steadily improving since I started, but I was just wondering if any people that use a trackball (if there are even any that play) could give me some advice about how they have risen through the ranks and the problems that they faced.

I play with a Logitech Trackman, and some problems that I have are that my fingers often get out of position on top of the ball, and I have to find some time in the songs to re-adjust so I can have decent leverage on the ball. Spins also can be kind of annoying for me because I spin around the outside, and sometimes the cursor ends up on one end of my screen, and the note is on the other end, and I have to cross the screen really quickly.
Vuelo Eluko
arent you supposed to have your hand on it and roll it around that way, instead of only fingers? if you do it that way you can spin by moving the ball around that bump in your hand at the base of your middle/ring finger with a "washing the dishes" motion.

anyway i dont know of anyone who got good with a trackball so good luck.
Topic Starter
bobbyboi
I guess it would depend on what kind of trackball mouse you use. With mine its a lot more comfortable and accurate to use 3 fingers to manipulate the ball. I'm hoping that someone better than I am at using a trackball might come along and offer some insight, although I'm in no hurry to try to rocket up the leaderboards.
Wishy
I got very good advice for you:

Don't play with a trackball.

That's the best advice you are gonna get!
Granger
Even some 5$ mouse could do the job better than any trackball could ever do.

Wishy wrote:

Don't play with a trackball.
Dexus
Only problem I see is in spinners, but playing on trackball is kind of on the same path as a tracpad; a big waste of time. Pick up a $30 tablet and youre good to go.
Topic Starter
bobbyboi
Why does everyone see a trackball as not viable? I've tried using normal mouses, and from what I've experienced, trackballs have a better combination of speed and fine control for me. I've never used a gamepad though, so you might be right about that one.
GoldenWolf

bobbyboi wrote:

Why does everyone see a trackball as not viable?
Because trackballs are baaaaad
Topic Starter
bobbyboi

GoldenWolf wrote:

bobbyboi wrote:

Why does everyone see a trackball as not viable?
Because trackballs are baaaaad
But why do you say that? I've been using trackballs and normal mouses for all of my life, and I feel like I can use them both just fine. I can say that going from a normal mouse to a trackball for anyone that didn't use one their whole life could be a very difficult learning curve, just because all of the command has to come from your fingers, where with a normal mouse command comes from the wrist
AegisFTW

bobbyboi wrote:

But why do you say that? I've been using trackballs and normal mouses for all of my life, and I feel like I can use them both just fine. I can say that going from a normal mouse to a trackball for anyone that didn't use one their whole life could be a very difficult learning curve, just because all of the command has to come from your fingers, where with a normal mouse command comes from the wrist
They are just using bad arguments in general it feels like, if this was true we might as well all be using mouse+keyboard or tablet+keyboard.

I'm not going to say that you are going be better than the mouse or tablet players in the top ranks though, I'm not going to say it won't be impressive or interesting if you do gain a high level of skill AND consistency. You just need to realize that this a very funny way of playing a game that might not even work out in your favor at all in being "The Best". I may be wrong for what's objectively better though.
meteor22
You can become very good with trackball

in the same way that mouse can have as much potential as a tablet.
nrl
A mouse player can reach the same level of play as a tablet player, but they absolutely do not have the same potential as peripherals. The distinction is important.
Gumpy
Oh I have one of those played through half life 1 with it, had to use god mode because you can't aim with that shit.
Mythras
trackball and osu just not really gonna work, hate to take a dump in your cheerios