forum

[Archived] FPS Drops (Only in Song)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kyroh_old
Problem Details: It's been happening or a couple of months recently, but I thought if I left it alone it would fix itself. I recently came back to osu after a long break and I realized that it is still occuring. Whenever I'm playing a song (specifically insane songs) I get massive frame drop to 30-60 fps. It's very frustrating when i'm on a huge combo and this happens, as it makes it very hard to complete. It's completely random and I have no idea why it occurs.

I currently play on limited 120 fps with using DirectX.

I use a laptop, and it's 2 years old but here are the specs:

Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @2.30 GHz
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

I've tried to do follow other people's instructions like this but I've found no solution yet.

chong601 wrote:

raheta_adi wrote:

I tried both (on battery, and plugged in high performance) but still....
There is a solution but works best in Intel, but Nvidia works as well...
Open Power Options, click on the "Change plan settings" on the current selected power plan, then click "Change advanced power settings".
Then find "PCI Express" and expand it. After expand it, expand "Link State Power Management". After that, set both on battery and plugged in to "Off".
This forces the PCI Express to give full power even without load, but will drain the battery faster(marginally)...

chox wrote:

dont use unlimited
it heats up your gpu without any real need, it's placebo
just use 120 fps instead and you wont get drops
I know your meaning but that is the only way to get smooth Taiko movement....

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOni01b ... id&index=1

I know I was watching my replay from spectator, but It was occuring live as well. if you watch closely there are random moments when it drops to 60-90 frames. This one wasn't as bad as the others though.

osu! version: 20140814.1 (latest)
drum drum
Your FPS was around 60 for about 75% of the video. Try using 240 limiter and see what happens. I'll be honest though, I've run on Unlimited a bunch of times on a laptop, i7 core and no built-ins. Everything is fine.
Topic Starter
Kyroh_old

drum drum wrote:

Your FPS was around 60 for about 75% of the video. Try using 240 limiter and see what happens. I'll be honest though, I've run on Unlimited a bunch of times on a laptop, i7 core and no built-ins. Everything is fine.
sorry I couldn't replay earlier, my internet was down for a bit. I've tried switching limiters to 240 and it doesn't help
PatZar
have you tried unlimited fps?
make sure your VGA up to date
R3DxFOX
Try open-gl mode from the settings, this helped me when I was using my laptop over the summer. It is unstable, yes. But prevents fps drops a lot on lower-end machines. Your's though should be fine since you are using a 660M.
Shirayuki
I'd suggest you go play with unlimited fps on DirectX - in that settings, how much fps are you getting while playing?

Also, try D3D Antilag with that settings too.
loldcraft
Did you set osu to use your graphics card?