forum

What difficulty of maps do you play when you try to improve?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ronbo
I've been wondering about this for a while. Personally I'm only ranked ~35k, so I can only play 5 stars tops.

But when I'm trying to practice, I'm not sure which type of map I should be playing:

3.5-4.5 maps: I can get 80%+ (usually ~90%) on my first try on the majority of this level of maps. However, I lack patience and I tend to start freaking out when I get to a high combo and mess up (I just got the 750x combo achievement today after playing for a while...). So, I usually can't FC these maps (also I play with mouse and I have trouble dealing with mouse drift on jumpier maps, which is like all 4 star+ lol :( ) But I feel like these are good practice in terms of being more consistent with jumps and streams, whereas the harder maps are just me struggling to read the map and not paying attention to other stuff.

4.5-5.5 maps: Most of the time I can't pass these maps on my first try. The highest map I've ever passed is only 5.34 stars. But, this level of map usually is a lot harder, and I can rarely read them until I've tried it a few times.

So the question is:
If you are just trying to get better, not going for pp, do you think it's better to grind and FC maps that are at your level, or keep trying to play maps that are currently beyond your reach until you can play them (but with poor accuracy)?
Nutella
If you want to improve, the obvious answer is to play the harder maps. If you stick with easier maps you'll improve a lot slower, keep practicing, I use a mouse too and once you get the hang of it you can jump pretty smoothly :)
Wildcolt
Maps you're above 70% on but below 85% on. Note: This range changes as you get better(someone on lewa's level would be anything below 95% while someone that can barely handle 3 stars could probably be anything that's not lower than 55%).
Sylveon
Firstly play count play play play. Secondly grinding pp is not bad in helping people improve. Since you are always challenging yourself to do your best to get the biggest amount of pp you can. Tbh it's just a mixture (for me) of playing 4-4.7 star maps for PP and playing 5-6star maps to improve/for fun in multi. Throw n some streaming practise maps and jumps to.

It's just natural progression we can go into many details but its useless since if you want to improve in general the. You need to play more. Your PC is 3.6k boost that up and I'm sure you will find yourself improving to. You get out what you put in
Vuelo Eluko
maps like over my head or jumppudding

sooo like 6-6.4 stars
x_Co0ki420ezi_x
Ignore people who tell you to play overly difficult maps (mainly unranked AR10 shit)

Overly hard maps aren't good if you play for the sake of improving. Nor are maps that are just too fast for you; to go fast you have to start slow. I tend to aim for 95%< accuracy on all maps, and ~99% on maps that are FC-able.
Kouya-
I try and play those fast past insane maps such as TV Size for example or ar 9 insane maps and slowly play higher ar insane maps until I eventually give up and start back to square one .
-Chronopolis-
On 3.5-4 star maps, you should be able to make most of the jumps. Fix up snapping, go into the editor and practice any stuff that tricks you out (like slider into stream, triples and singles together, etc.

For 4-4.75 maps (probably jump maps mostly), work on pressing notes in time even for jumps. This means you mouse may have to move faster than you are comfortable, especially on certain angles. You want to do the above while putting the least amount of tenseness in your arm. Basically you want to end up as close to a neutral position so you can keep on jumping or snapping and not be jerking your wrist/arm trying to rein in the momentum. If you can't feel improvement after practicing a part in the editor, the song is probably too hard.
These songs are probably like 170-195 bpm so you can work on streaming at the same time.

You play harder songs to push speed. For jump speed the above is how hard you want to go. For stream speed and single tap (High bpm songs with low spacing, you'd never play them for pp, but yes for increasing single tap + snap speed), just gradually push your limits, but don't spend too long at a spammy speed.

I used to play slightly too hard maps, and so I got speed, but it wasn't useable speed. Like I could spam evenly spaced stars and make some cross screen jumps, but couldn't combo more than 100 or so.
timemon
sort them by difficulty.
Play stuff you can FC play untill the stuff you can't FC become FCable.
download new maps everyday.
play difficulties you're comfortable with
boom pp and improvement (or not)

don't bother with 5 stars maps, they're evil.
Blanky
Play songs you feel like playing. You'll have improved before you even know it. This is because people tend to find challenging things more enjoyable than repetitive, simple and easy things(grinding rank, easy songs). If you find enjoyment in grinding rank, you'll probably get bored of it and move onto harder maps after some time.

If you are trying to skyrocket in ability, it's just spending a tonne of time on osu!, reaching number 1 rank, destroying your eyes, then hacking to get yourself banned. So I recommend taking it nice and easy.
Upskirt

Blanky wrote:

Play songs you feel like playing. You'll have improved before you even know it. This is because people tend to find challenging things more enjoyable than repetitive, simple and easy things(grinding rank, easy songs). If you find enjoyment in grinding rank, you'll probably get bored of it and move onto harder maps after some time.

If you are trying to skyrocket in ability, it's just spending a tonne of time on osu!, reaching number 1 rank, destroying your eyes, then hacking to get yourself banned. So I recommend taking it nice and easy.
Oh my I see what you did there.

I Just play maps above my current skill level to improve, any sort of map that I judge is above my skill level only slightly.
xGx

meteor22

Blanky wrote:

reaching number 1 rank, destroying your eyes, then hacking to get yourself banned. So I recommend taking it nice and easy.
never heard of people getting eyes destroyed because of osu
Gumpy
Practice.