forum

[resolved] osu! won't update.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
avoid
Problem Details: Whenever I launch my osu!, It says that it will restart to update but it says "Unable to replace file osu!.exe. Please check this file isn't still open then try running the updater again."

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20140812.4
Piine
Check if the game is confirmed to be closed via Task Manager. If that doesn't work, try deleting the file.
Topic Starter
avoid
So do you want me to re-download osu! completely?
Piine
Noooooo. Just delete osu!.exe and running the updater.
Topic Starter
avoid
I got it to launch, but all my skins and beatmaps are gone.
Piine
Did you just deleted only the osu Application file. You wasn't suppose to delete any other files.
Topic Starter
avoid
Yes, I only deleted that.
Piine
If I were to guess probably your beatmaps are still there and have to be processed over again and then skin can be selected via options?
Topic Starter
avoid
Ok.

I launch osu! from the osu! updater, I have no skins, no beatmaps whatsoever.

But when I get osu! out from the recycling bin, and launch it. I have all beatmaps and skins but I still have the update glitch.
Piine
Okay that is just strange.
Topic Starter
avoid
Is there anyone else that can help me with this?
Shirayuki
Can you take a screenshot of your osu! folder?
Topic Starter
avoid

Shirayuki
Thank you for doing so.

Try to delete osu!.db.something and osu!.db right above it (file type: Database) and both the score.db.something.bak along with score.db right above both (file type: Database), then delete both osu!.exe and osu!.new_exe and try to run osume.exe now.
Topic Starter
avoid
Still no luck. I still get the same error message.
Topic Starter
avoid
If I uninstall osu! and re-install it, will it delete all my skins and beatmaps?
Piine
If you move the song and skin folder to the desktop and then uninstall, then no.
Topic Starter
avoid
Alright, I moved the two folders to my desktop, uninstalled osu! and reinstalled it. Replaced the songs + skins folder and it worked. Thanks