Click the square "stop" icon next to the red record button

Test your action

To test the action
Open another image
Then play the action that you have created to see if it works

Using Batch function

First go to "File" -> "Automate" -> "Batch"

Select Action to the one you have created
Choose Source -> "Folder" the one which placed your @2x image (Batch Test)
Choose Destination -> "Folder" the one that you created inside your skin folder (Resized Image)

Photoshop will then automatically resize images

Total Commander - Rename skin element

*Special thanks to Nanashi666

Open Total Commander

Navigate to your 'Resized Files' folder

Select all the files by clicking on the first file, holding shift and clicking on the last file

Press Ctrl+M

In the opened window, in 'Rename mask: file name' instead of [N] input [N-256-4]. You can see the new name of the file under 'New name'

Press 'Start!'. Done!

Osu! Image Shrinker - Resize and Rename

Download here!
.rar (22.33 KB)

*I am not the one who make this program

Create a new folder inside your skin folder

Open Osu! Image Shrinker

Press ">" button
Then choose your skin file
(The skin file can only contain @2x elements)

The folder you created inside your skin folder will be shown next to the "Convert @2x" button

Press "Convert @2x" button
The program will automatically resize and rename images

If anyone knows any other ways please tell me so that I can improve this tutorial ;D
I hope this tutorial can help you to skin in a more convenient way :3
OsuMe65
decent tutorial but I have an easier way (but that method doesn't use Ps anyway)... might share it soon. = w=b
Topic Starter
Chaoslitz

OsuMe65 wrote:

decent tutorial but I have an easier way (but that method doesn't use Ps anyway)... might share it soon. = w=b
Shall we posting two ways together in one post >_>?
I don't know if many users using Photoshop ;-;
Elzapatoverde
Good, there wont be more skins with only HD.

I do it a lot easier using Preview, but that's Mac only... so yep.
Gritoit
I think we should have a thread with multiple task done in multiple programs all in one handy guide. My guess is it won't ever happen but it would be nice if people who really know GIMP, PS, Paint.net and any others could come together to make such a guide. Personally I use GIMP but do not know enough to write a very full guide. If such a guide did ever get done it would be a major help to new skin creators along with the already existing guides we have about properties of elements.
manjumochi
Thanks, this will help me a lot.
Topic Starter
Chaoslitz

Elzapatoverde wrote:

Good, there wont be more skins with only HD.

I do it a lot easier using Preview, but that's Mac only... so yep.

manjumochi wrote:

Thanks, this will help me a lot.

Gritoit wrote:

I think we should have a thread with multiple task done in multiple programs all in one handy guide. My guess is it won't ever happen but it would be nice if people who really know GIMP, PS, Paint.net and any others could come together to make such a guide. Personally I use GIMP but do not know enough to write a very full guide. If such a guide did ever get done it would be a major help to new skin creators along with the already existing guides we have about properties of elements.
I havent tried GIMP before and I don't think Paint.NET own a function like that >_>
I still need more people to have with this thread ;P
Gritoit
I think this function is only in PS for doing batches though I could be wrong. Certainly makes me think I should be using PS, that plus the fact it has other tools that the other programs do not.
RBRat3
I'll let you in on a little secret, For those of you using PS CC it comes with an asset generator which exports in realtime with edits with options to export different sized according to the layer name setup for example "ranking-A@2x.png, 50% ranking-A.png". Although asset generator and its core plugin will need to be updated from adobes github repository in order to properly export set boundaries with masks for assets that need padding from edges. This is currently how I deal with osu!s image resources and layouts....

Example
Topic Starter
Chaoslitz

Gritoit wrote:

I think this function is only in PS for doing batches though I could be wrong. Certainly makes me think I should be using PS, that plus the fact it has other tools that the other programs do not.
So thats why I am now using photoshop :3

RBRat3 wrote:

I'll let you in on a little secret, For those of you using PS CC it comes with an asset generator which exports in realtime with edits with options to export different sized according to the layer name setup for example "ranking-A@2x.png, 50% ranking-A.png". Although asset generator and its core plugin will need to be updated from adobes github repository in order to properly export set boundaries with masks for assets that need padding from edges. This is currently how I deal with osu!s image resources and layouts....

Example
I don't know if there are any difference between CS6 or CC
I am using CS6 and I haven't try CC before @@
[ Nana ]
There's an easy way to rename the files you've just created. Using Total Commander.

1) Open Total Commander.

2) Navigate to your 'Resized Files' folder.

3) Select all the files by clicking on the first file, holding shift and clicking on the last file.

4) Press Ctrl+M.

5) In the opened window, in 'Rename mask: file name' instead of [N] input [N-256-4]. You can see the new name of the file under 'New name'.

6) Press 'Start!'. Done! :P
Topic Starter
Chaoslitz

Nanashi666 wrote:

There's an easy way to rename the files you've just created. Using Total Commander.

1) Open Total Commander.

2) Navigate to your 'Resized Files' folder.

3) Select all the files by clicking on the first file, holding shift and clicking on the last file.

4) Press Ctrl+M.

5) In the opened window, in 'Rename mask: file name' instead of [N] input [N-256-4]. You can see the new name of the file under 'New name'.

6) Press 'Start!'. Done! :P
Thanks again to your tutorial ;P
Topic Starter
Chaoslitz
Another faster way had been added!
Thanks for OsuMe65 inform me that :3
ChatN0ir
I know how to do this in GIMP:

SPOILER
First you Need BIMP (=Batch Image Manipulation Plugin for GIMP) you can get it here: http://www.alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/
after you downloaded BIMP you Need a Massive File Renamer im using this one http://ivanrf.com/en/portfolio-posts/massive-file-renamer/

Like in the Photoshop Tutorial you will need 2 Folders one with your @2x Images and one without them. like this:

Then you Open GIMP and either you put it into the One-Window-Mode:

or you let it stay in the Mode you have.

In the One-Window-Mode drag all Images into GIMP like this:

then it should look like this

after you've done that we can resize all the Images :)
for that we need to configure BIMP in the File Tab:

after you clicked on BIMP it should look like this

then you click on ''Hinzufügen von Bilder" Sorry im from Germany (Should be Add Images on English) after you clicked on that you either press on
all opened Images or add Folder both will work just fine, but im not sure if opened Images will work on Non One-Window-Mode if you clicked on add Folder you have to navigate to your Folder with the Images but dont go in the Folder just mark the Folder with a Left Click and Click ADD then all Images in that Folder will be in BIMP (over the "Hinzufügen von Bildern" Tab) like this:

then you click on add on top of BIMP at me ist over "Eingabedateien und Optionen" after you clicked on that you have to select "Größe Ändern" (German) in english it should be Resize after you clicked on that everything can stay like it is only Width and Height has to be changed, cuz we didnt change anything Width and Height is given in Percent we have to put both of them to 50% so the Image will be half the Size it is. Then click OK (In the Resize tab) then on the Rightside of BIMP is Save in (in German Speichern in) click on that and Navigate to the Resized Folder you Created (The Folder inside the Folder with the Images). Then click apply
after that the Images should be Resized so you can Navigate to the Resized Folder but they still have the @2x Extensions like this:

for that we need the Massive File Renamer. (You dont have to use him but its easier.)
After you opened the Massive File Renamer click on Open then Navigate to our Resized Folder (The Folder with the Resized Images) and Click on the First Image and then on the Last with Shift so you Mark all Images then click on Open then it should look like this:

then click on the Find Textbox and Type @2x you will see that on the right side (New Name) the Names Changed then Simply click on Replace All it should look like this:

then click on Replace, all Images now have no @2x at the End of their Name and our Folder Looks like this:

Thats the most efficient way i could think of so i hope it helped you and... Sorry for my Grammar i have Holidays and i just got up and im still very Sleepy but i hope it helped you our and Enjoyed it so. Have a nice day 8-)