forum

Alternating during sliders

posted
Total Posts
show more
GoldenWolf

KukiMonster wrote:

However, I used to have this bad habit of alternating every time.
*SIGH*

Who the fark told you alternating was a "bad habit".....
Vuelo Eluko

GoldenWolf wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

*SIGH*

it is though
for my first 9k plays alternating was a huge nuisance when i tried to play maps that were more complex than just 1/2 or 1/4 spam. kicking it was hard but worth it. alternating as a playstyle is not for everyone. clearly not for him if its killing his acc.

anyway OP, dont focus on how you're playing, focus on playing.
sayonara_sekai
theres people who dont alternate multiple sliders? alternating sliders was like the first "technique" I learned.
MostDakka
but... alternating is cool. Only problem i ever had with it is that streaming is hard at the beginning but i saomehow got used to it. When i started playing osu! i never imagined you could play with 1 finger [cause you know, 2 buttons] and now i would never change my style for singletap.

And if it works for u then do it, experiment yourself and find what works for you best.
Maxis

GoldenWolf wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

*SIGH*

^basically

Obviously there's gonna be people who disagree but I personally think there's not a huge difference between singletapping and alternating, at least in my own experience.

I've always been a singletapper for the most part (obviously only alternate during streams or otherwise sets of 1/4 notes) but about 6k plays in I noticed overtime I started unintentionally developing a habit of not so strict singletapping.

Sometimes I begin alternating (sometimes not 100% perfect alternating, but using both fingers at least) out of nowhere if my middle finger (finger I favor) starts feeling weak or uncomfortable, or unnatural to play with, or even if I just feel like it. Sometimes I completely switch to singletapping with my index finger for the same reason.

I used to get bad accuracy with it but from doing it so much I nearly do as well with using my index now as my middle.

It actually came with some nice end results. I still singletap with my middle finger on a regular day, but choose be now I can alternate and singletap with either finger. It's not really a bad habit to me, in my opinion.

Anyway, on-topic. Giving same advice as some others here, if something works for you, keep playing with it. Alternating when there's multiple sliders is quite common I think, I do the same and I'm pretty sure a lot of other people do as well. Like I said there's different opinions out there on whether alternating is bad for not, so the best advice I have is to just do what works best for you. Whatever's most comfortable and whatever you want to play like, just roll with it.
GoldenWolf

Riince wrote:

it is though
for my first 9k plays alternating was a huge nuisance when i tried to play maps that were more complex than just 1/2 or 1/4 spam. kicking it was hard but worth it. alternating as a playstyle is not for everyone. clearly not for him if its killing his acc.

stop spreading shit
alternating is NOT a bad habit, even if you personally suck at that it doesn't make it any bad
if alternating was natural for him then he could just have kept alternating everything, it doesn't even matter what you do as long as you play the game in a way that's natural/comfortable to you
Topic Starter
I Give Up
Thanks all for the tips. I guess from what I'm hearing, alternating on sliders is not too bad. Actually I'm still used to alternating on sliders its just I'm worried if this will turn into one of those walls later on when I do higher pp maps. But If this is common and not a problem at all then I will stop paying attention to it.

GoldenWolf wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

*SIGH*

I'm sorry if I offended others with that poorly thought out comment. I only meant that this applied to myself as my own personal bad habit. Alternating takes far too long to develop accuracy for me, maybe two fingers means twice the workload I dunno. Anyway I've been practising a great deal of single tapping and now my middle finger is more accurate and faster than my index. This probably would've taken me longer if I were still alternating.
Vuelo Eluko

GoldenWolf wrote:

Riince wrote:

it is though

stop spreading shit
alternating is NOT a bad habit, even if you personally suck at that it doesn't make it any bad
if alternating was natural for him then he could just have kept alternating everything, it doesn't even matter what you do as long as you play the game in a way that's natural/comfortable to you
alternating as a playstyle is not for everyone. clearly not for him if its killing his acc.
dont focus on how you're playing, focus on playing.

just try to kick the bad habit Kuki. he thought you meant it was a bad habit in all circumstances [like when he replied to me] rather than yours specifically. Rather silly knee jerk on his part but we'll forgive it.
GoldenWolf

KukiMonster wrote:

I'm sorry if I offended others with that poorly thought out comment. I only meant that this applied to myself as my own personal bad habit. Alternating takes far too long to develop accuracy for me, maybe two fingers means twice the workload I dunno. Anyway I've been practising a great deal of single tapping and now my middle finger is more accurate and faster than my index. This probably would've taken me longer if I were still alternating.
Two fingers doesn't mean twice the workload, if alternating sliders only feels more natural to you just do so, but it's absolutely not a bad habit in any case
Really, just do what's more natural to you, don't force yourself to singletap if it makes you play worse lol
As I said it doesn't matter the way you play the game, the only thing that matters is how comfortable you are with your playstyle

Riince wrote:

just try to kick the bad habit Kuki. he thought you meant it was a bad habit in all circumstances [like when he replied to me] rather than yours specifically. Rather silly knee jerk on his part but we'll forgive it.

KukiMonster wrote:

I have to focus really hard to single tap sliders and even then my accuracy actually decreases and I tend to break. Seems I will forever be stuck with alternating them. Is this weird?
The guy has issues singletapping sliders, it's obvious it's not natural for him. In no cases alternating is a bad habit. Even if you mix singletapping with alternating at random places, as long as it's natural/comfortable there are no issue with it.
What the fuck.
Topic Starter
I Give Up

Storm2344 wrote:

but... alternating is cool. Only problem i ever had with it is that streaming is hard at the beginning but i saomehow got used to it. When i started playing osu! i never imagined you could play with 1 finger [cause you know, 2 buttons] and now i would never change my style for singletap.

And if it works for u then do it, experiment yourself and find what works for you best.
Alternating is more elegant to single tapping which is a very aggressive play style. Personally I find it incredible how these high level players single tap nearly everything, I want to be fast like that with one finger.

Riince wrote:

Thanks. I've stopped alternating on single hit circles (except when it appears at end of slider) which has increased my accuracy. But from what I've gathered here there is nothing wrong with my now semi-alternating play style. We'll see how it goes.
GoldenWolf
That playstyle reminds me of Serea, he singletap everything but sliders too
kisata
most of us already know you're an idiot riince - you don't have to try so hard to prove it to us

however, for the sake of people who are genuinely confused/trying to learn could you please occasionally shut the fuck up when you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about

@OP, just go with whatever makes yourself feel comfortable
koromo

KukiMonster wrote:

Thanks all for the tips. I guess from what I'm hearing, alternating on sliders is not too bad. Actually I'm still used to alternating on sliders its just I'm worried if this will turn into one of those walls later on when I do higher pp maps. But If this is common and not a problem at all then I will stop paying attention to it.
You don't have to worry about this at all. You can even find players in the top 50 who alternate most of the time (even single notes) like Azer and HAUHAU. I myself alternate everything at all times, though I am by no means a particularly skilled player.

Don't pay attention to things like alternating or single tapping, just go with whatever feels more natural to you.
winber1
when you alternate you will be able to feel your inner man muscles grow

and they will blossom into a beautiful kawaii loli

only then can you become a true osu! god
-Soba-

winber1 wrote:

but be warned, once you stop alternating she will die a cruel, painful death

if you're going to start, please be prepared to face the repercussions of your actions

on a more srs note: Don't take advice from low ranking players who try to make is sound like they know everything. If something feels more comfortable to do, it's the better way for you to play. There is no best way to play for everyone.
Vuelo Eluko

apaffy wrote:

most of us already know you're an idiot riince - you don't have to try so hard to prove it to us

however, for the sake of people who are genuinely confused/trying to learn could you please occasionally shut the fuck up when you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about

thanks for the feedback. but no, i'll continue giving relevant advice. if his accuracy is dying because of alternating he should probably stop. all bad habits can become "natural" that doesn't make them the right thing to do.

what is so hard or wrong about this?
koromo

Riince wrote:

if his accuracy is dying because of alternating he should probably stop. all bad habits can become "natural" that doesn't make them the right thing to do.

Except it's not? I think you should read the OP once again.

KukiMonster wrote:

I have to focus really hard to single tap sliders and even then my accuracy actually decreases and I tend to break. Seems I will forever be stuck with alternating them.
His accuracy drops and he even sliderbreaks because he's trying to single tap them.
AegisFTW
Bassist Vinyl, once a shitposter, always a shitposter.

Alternating is not bad at all, single tapping is the most prevalent because it's the most natural for a lot of people. Mashing can come along with your alternating especially with 1/4 sliders, but eventually for me I got rid of that habit and it has increased my accuracy tons. I can always manage to get 99% with hidden or not in plenty of insanes if I wanted to. Everyone has their stupid ways of playing the game, for example if I see a stack of 1/2 notes no higher than 300 BPM I'm going to single tap that whole stack, but I generally alternate everything else, I don't know WHY I do this but it certainly isn't bad from what I can tell.
Vuelo Eluko

koromo wrote:

Except it's not? I think you should read the OP once again.
no u

KukiMonster wrote:

Alternating takes far too long to develop accuracy for me, maybe two fingers means twice the workload I dunno. Anyway I've been practising a great deal of single tapping and now my middle finger is more accurate and faster than my index..
koromo
By the context I'm pretty sure he's talking about actual circles, not just sliders, not just free accuracy sliders. He was explaining why he switched over to single tapping to GoldenWolf

I can single tap just fine but when it comes to sliders I really have to alternate, it feels unnatural otherwise. I believe OP has a similar issue with sliders. Just let the guy alternate sliders if that's what he feels comfortable doing and it works for him.
nooblet

Riince wrote:

apaffy wrote:

thanks for the feedback. but no, i'll continue giving relevant advice. if his accuracy is dying because of alternating he should probably stop. all bad habits can become "natural" that doesn't make them the right thing to do.

Protip: learn to play the game yourself before giving others advice.

Again, just because you can't play something or some way, doesn't mean it's bad, just means you suck at it. I guess the contra positive isn't true, since you're still posting shit as usual.

If you spent this much time playing the game maybe you could give some real advice.

To topic: alternating does not require more work, it's merely a placebo effect
Vuelo Eluko

nooblet wrote:

Protip: learn to play the game yourself before giving others advice.

Again, just because you can't play something or some way, doesn't mean it's bad, just means you suck at it. I guess the contra positive isn't true, since you're still posting shit as usual.

If you spent this much time playing the game maybe you could give some real advice.

To topic: alternating does not require more work, it's merely a placebo effect
your reply was relevant and filled with useful information and you have completed refuted me by calling me bad.

now being serious, if his playing is hurting by doing something different than what he does well doing, he shouldn't just keep doing it. definition of a bad playing habit. it's like trying to learn to drive stick when all you know how to and already have an automatic. it's not practical, and it's not necessary.
Ishkiz

AegisFTW wrote:

for example if I see a stack of 1/2 notes no higher than 300 BPM I'm going to single tap that whole stack, but I generally alternate everything else, I don't know WHY I do this but it certainly isn't bad from what I can tell.
I do the same exact thing, have always done it, and I dunno why. Alternating pretty much everything but stacks. I've always wondered why that is, it's almost comforting that someone else does it too.

and so this post isn't completely off-topic, @op just tap however you like really. I'm neither good nor accurate but I've alternated my entire osu life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dexus
Just answering op because I can already tell the rest of the thread is poop.

1) it's not bad to alternate
- Using just your fingers is in fact a good way to learn to maintain control if you switch routinely between your primary and secondary fingers
- In theory if you can single tap half notes at certain speeds with both of your fingers you will be able to stream at said speeds and under (With proper practice of course)
- Alternating has been proven to be just as good as single tapping, but you will hit a wall at some point with finger speed if it's not practiced in a certain manner
- Alternating can be thought of as 'Slow streaming'
- If you're stuck on alternating simple maps with few short streams you honestly wont get anywhere

2) Pay attention to the end of the sliders
- Learn to release in time with the music at the right notes and it should make it easier to manage
- Slider ticks are just as important too, pay attention to those so you can time 'Extended sliders' correctly too. Ticks are supposed to be their for sound effects mostly
- Generally sliders are either short, half, whole or extended
= Short sliders are a bitch and you just have to get the hit and release correct, if they're something like Hanzer's "Miss You" it will just take practice, sometimes they're used as 'Slider streams'
= Half notes can be common in some maps and usually will be short and timed for jumps depending on the speed of the map; they're good for getting an idea of what the rhythm of the map is.
= Whole notes can commonly have a slider tick right in the center at an equal distance from the start to the end, if there's no tick you can generally tell because they're simply twice as long as the other sliders
= Extended sliders usually appear 3/4 through the slider so if you see a slider tick towards the end of a slider hold on a bit longer instead of reading it incorrectly. It's annoying when a map has a stray extended slider and it's the only one in the map so you simply have to take a mental note of it and retry if you mess up. One thing I hate is when they time it to where the tick is the actual end of the slider and they have the extra end note for flare.
* I'm certain you would call these different things, or there are official names but you get the general points I'm trying to get across
KagamiHRS
Disregarding the whole thread except OP and one above me, here's my own experience answering the tips:
I routinely switch between index (primary) and middle finger.
I can do full alternate just for a stunt, but it's not my favorite playstyle.
For 1/4 sliders, I usually alternate them, but sometimes singletap for slower BPM
Half sliders; I singletap them
Whole sliders; again, singletap.
For extended (3/4) slider; I always alternate them, including one extra note, at times briefly holding both buttons at the same time.
Sync

winber1 wrote:

c a n c o n f i r m
B1rd
I alternate those annoying sections with the repeating quarter sliders one after another that you get a 100 on if you take your finger off a millisecond too early.
Dammie
I alternate sliders and singletap jumps, i used to alternate everything aswell but i change to single tap because i feel it's more accurate for me, anyways i still feeling comfortable alternating sliders more than single tapping them because of the slider-jumps if i get the finger too early for tap the other one i just break the slider so... i also feel like i follow the rythm better like this , i dont think it's a ''bad habit''.
tokaku
Sylveon
I like to always alternate between sliders in succession or sliders with beats at the end. It means I get the full slider and I'm not rushing to single tap that last note at the end of the slider. Apart from that I single tap everything else. Tbh it's a good technique I don't understand why some people think its bad when it's helps your ac curacy and keeps you in control