Alternating during sliders

posted
Total Posts
31
Topic Starter
I Give Up
Hey everyone. I was told that when beginning to use keyboard, it is best to practice with one finger first to develop accuracy. However, I used to have this bad habit of alternating every time. After a couple weeks I got used to single tapping, but several months later I still have some of that habit only hen there are consecutive sliders or those single notes that appear at end of slider. I have to focus really hard to single tap sliders and even then my accuracy actually decreases and I tend to break. Seems I will forever be stuck with alternating them. Is this weird?
GoldenWolf

KukiMonster wrote:

However, I used to have this bad habit of alternating every time.
*SIGH*

Who the fark told you alternating was a "bad habit".....
Vuelo Eluko

GoldenWolf wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

However, I used to have this bad habit of alternating every time.
*SIGH*

Who the fark told you alternating was a "bad habit".....
it is though
for my first 9k plays alternating was a huge nuisance when i tried to play maps that were more complex than just 1/2 or 1/4 spam. kicking it was hard but worth it. alternating as a playstyle is not for everyone. clearly not for him if its killing his acc.

anyway OP, dont focus on how you're playing, focus on playing.
sayonara_sekai
theres people who dont alternate multiple sliders? alternating sliders was like the first "technique" I learned.
MostDakka
but... alternating is cool. Only problem i ever had with it is that streaming is hard at the beginning but i saomehow got used to it. When i started playing osu! i never imagined you could play with 1 finger [cause you know, 2 buttons] and now i would never change my style for singletap.

And if it works for u then do it, experiment yourself and find what works for you best.
Maxis

GoldenWolf wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

However, I used to have this bad habit of alternating every time.
*SIGH*

Who the fark told you alternating was a "bad habit".....
^basically

Obviously there's gonna be people who disagree but I personally think there's not a huge difference between singletapping and alternating, at least in my own experience.

I've always been a singletapper for the most part (obviously only alternate during streams or otherwise sets of 1/4 notes) but about 6k plays in I noticed overtime I started unintentionally developing a habit of not so strict singletapping.

Sometimes I begin alternating (sometimes not 100% perfect alternating, but using both fingers at least) out of nowhere if my middle finger (finger I favor) starts feeling weak or uncomfortable, or unnatural to play with, or even if I just feel like it. Sometimes I completely switch to singletapping with my index finger for the same reason.

I used to get bad accuracy with it but from doing it so much I nearly do as well with using my index now as my middle.

It actually came with some nice end results. I still singletap with my middle finger on a regular day, but choose be now I can alternate and singletap with either finger. It's not really a bad habit to me, in my opinion.

Anyway, on-topic. Giving same advice as some others here, if something works for you, keep playing with it. Alternating when there's multiple sliders is quite common I think, I do the same and I'm pretty sure a lot of other people do as well. Like I said there's different opinions out there on whether alternating is bad for not, so the best advice I have is to just do what works best for you. Whatever's most comfortable and whatever you want to play like, just roll with it.
GoldenWolf

Riince wrote:

it is though
for my first 9k plays alternating was a huge nuisance when i tried to play maps that were more complex than just 1/2 or 1/4 spam. kicking it was hard but worth it. alternating as a playstyle is not for everyone. clearly not for him if its killing his acc.

anyway OP, dont focus on how you're playing, focus on playing.
stop spreading shit
alternating is NOT a bad habit, even if you personally suck at that it doesn't make it any bad
if alternating was natural for him then he could just have kept alternating everything, it doesn't even matter what you do as long as you play the game in a way that's natural/comfortable to you
Topic Starter
I Give Up
Thanks all for the tips. I guess from what I'm hearing, alternating on sliders is not too bad. Actually I'm still used to alternating on sliders its just I'm worried if this will turn into one of those walls later on when I do higher pp maps. But If this is common and not a problem at all then I will stop paying attention to it.

GoldenWolf wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

However, I used to have this bad habit of alternating every time.
*SIGH*

Who the fark told you alternating was a "bad habit".....
I'm sorry if I offended others with that poorly thought out comment. I only meant that this applied to myself as my own personal bad habit. Alternating takes far too long to develop accuracy for me, maybe two fingers means twice the workload I dunno. Anyway I've been practising a great deal of single tapping and now my middle finger is more accurate and faster than my index. This probably would've taken me longer if I were still alternating.
Vuelo Eluko

GoldenWolf wrote:

Riince wrote:

it is though
for my first 9k plays alternating was a huge nuisance when i tried to play maps that were more complex than just 1/2 or 1/4 spam. kicking it was hard but worth it. alternating as a playstyle is not for everyone. clearly not for him if its killing his acc.

anyway OP, dont focus on how you're playing, focus on playing.
stop spreading shit
alternating is NOT a bad habit, even if you personally suck at that it doesn't make it any bad
if alternating was natural for him then he could just have kept alternating everything, it doesn't even matter what you do as long as you play the game in a way that's natural/comfortable to you
alternating as a playstyle is not for everyone. clearly not for him if its killing his acc.
dont focus on how you're playing, focus on playing.
just try to kick the bad habit Kuki. he thought you meant it was a bad habit in all circumstances [like when he replied to me] rather than yours specifically. Rather silly knee jerk on his part but we'll forgive it.
GoldenWolf

KukiMonster wrote:

I'm sorry if I offended others with that poorly thought out comment. I only meant that this applied to myself as my own personal bad habit. Alternating takes far too long to develop accuracy for me, maybe two fingers means twice the workload I dunno. Anyway I've been practising a great deal of single tapping and now my middle finger is more accurate and faster than my index. This probably would've taken me longer if I were still alternating.
Two fingers doesn't mean twice the workload, if alternating sliders only feels more natural to you just do so, but it's absolutely not a bad habit in any case
Really, just do what's more natural to you, don't force yourself to singletap if it makes you play worse lol
As I said it doesn't matter the way you play the game, the only thing that matters is how comfortable you are with your playstyle
 
 
 
 

Riince wrote:

just try to kick the bad habit Kuki. he thought you meant it was a bad habit in all circumstances [like when he replied to me] rather than yours specifically. Rather silly knee jerk on his part but we'll forgive it.

KukiMonster wrote:

I have to focus really hard to single tap sliders and even then my accuracy actually decreases and I tend to break. Seems I will forever be stuck with alternating them. Is this weird?
The guy has issues singletapping sliders, it's obvious it's not natural for him. In no cases alternating is a bad habit. Even if you mix singletapping with alternating at random places, as long as it's natural/comfortable there are no issue with it.
What the fuck.
Topic Starter
I Give Up

Storm2344 wrote:

but... alternating is cool. Only problem i ever had with it is that streaming is hard at the beginning but i saomehow got used to it. When i started playing osu! i never imagined you could play with 1 finger [cause you know, 2 buttons] and now i would never change my style for singletap.

And if it works for u then do it, experiment yourself and find what works for you best.
Alternating is more elegant to single tapping which is a very aggressive play style. Personally I find it incredible how these high level players single tap nearly everything, I want to be fast like that with one finger.


Riince wrote:

just try to kick the bad habit Kuki. he thought you meant it was a bad habit in all circumstances [like when he replied to me] rather than yours specifically. Rather silly knee jerk on his part but we'll forgive it.
Thanks. I've stopped alternating on single hit circles (except when it appears at end of slider) which has increased my accuracy. But from what I've gathered here there is nothing wrong with my now semi-alternating play style. We'll see how it goes.
GoldenWolf
That playstyle reminds me of Serea, he singletap everything but sliders too
apaffy
most of us already know you're an idiot riince - you don't have to try so hard to prove it to us

however, for the sake of people who are genuinely confused/trying to learn could you please occasionally shut the fuck up when you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about

@OP, just go with whatever makes yourself feel comfortable
koromo

KukiMonster wrote:

Thanks all for the tips. I guess from what I'm hearing, alternating on sliders is not too bad. Actually I'm still used to alternating on sliders its just I'm worried if this will turn into one of those walls later on when I do higher pp maps. But If this is common and not a problem at all then I will stop paying attention to it.
You don't have to worry about this at all. You can even find players in the top 50 who alternate most of the time (even single notes) like Azer and HAUHAU. I myself alternate everything at all times, though I am by no means a particularly skilled player.

Don't pay attention to things like alternating or single tapping, just go with whatever feels more natural to you.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply