forum

[resolved] Hiding additional interface elements with Shift+Tab

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +6
smoogipoo
Peppy introduced the Shift+Tab command which hides certain interface elements during gameplay - HP bar, score, accuracy, rank, combo, etc.

Since I've fixed it up in the past day or so, I want to grab feedback in the form of possible improvements. I also want to do this in a way that I can easily track stuff (a feature requests thread rather than as technical support queries).

Most importantly, I want to grab feedback on whether or not you think it hides enough and if not, post a reply with what extra element(s) it should hide and we'll start a discussion on it.

Current considerations (will be updated):
  1. Added - Show the warning arrows when coming out of a break regardless of whether the interface is disabled.
  2. Added - Show the hit section pass/fail regardless of whether interface is disabled.
  3. Added - Show the user interface during breaks.
  4. Rejected - Hide an increasing amount of the interface.
  5. Rejected - Add an options option to select which interface elements to hide with Shift+Tab.
  6. Rejected - Hide multiplayer ranking.
I appreciate your feedback.
Nathanael
Copy-paste

Nathanael wrote:

In my opinion, the section pass/fail notifications is fine to be hidden but not the warning after a break.
Quote from a deleted post:

aeS wrote:

"Toggle in-game interface using shift+tab." currently hides all gameplay interface, sans the scoreboard and hit error from gameplay. Instead of toggling between just two states (full interface to no interface), shift+tab (or another keyboard shortcut) should toggle between a full-interface, some-interface (e.g lifebar, progress bar, warning arrows, essentially just removing score and combo.), and no-interface.
- Marco -
300/200/100/50 in osu!mania
smoogipoo

marcostudios wrote:

300/200/100/50 in osu!mania
This is essential for gameplay and can be skinned out. I don't feel comfortable hiding this for the reason that if players disable their interface specifically for this then there won't be any point at which they'll enable it and get any useful information, so skinning them out would suffice for said players.

I think this might also affect the majority of other players too much as well - those who don't want other distractions on the screen but want to know when they got 300/200/100/50/miss have no option but to keep their interface enabled.

aeS wrote:

"Toggle in-game interface using shift+tab." currently hides all gameplay interface, sans the scoreboard and hit error from gameplay. Instead of toggling between just two states (full interface to no interface), shift+tab (or another keyboard shortcut) should toggle between a full-interface, some-interface (e.g lifebar, progress bar, warning arrows, essentially just removing score and combo.), and no-interface.
NeVMiku

smoogipooo wrote:

And how do you propose this to be implemented? Shift+Tab to cycle through everything? Options checkboxes? Visual settings?
Immediate problems come to mind with all of these possibilities, and I think Shift+Tab to disable all is the only good option.

How about it cycle through 2 stages and back to normal? (What he said, simplified.)

Example:

Press once then everything disappears.
Press once more and things will partially come up.
Press again and it will be back to normal.

This can be another (of all the millions) toggle checkbox in the Options menu.
Oinari-sama
I'm actually quite happy with current behaviour. But if you're up for it kekeke...

Imo keep Shift+Tab for Showing/Hiding last display state. Add new key combo for cycling through different elements, eg Ctrl+Shift+Tab cycling forward, Alt+Shift+Tab cycling backwards.

EDIT: I dunno if Alt+Shift+Tab will act just as Alt+Tab so I'll leave that to the experts.
smoogipoo
I wonder if an options dialog like the keybindings dialog would be the better way to go (rather than extra keybindings). That is - a dialog where the player can choose which elements Shift+Tab disables.
Oinari-sama

smoogipooo wrote:

I wonder if an options dialog like the keybindings dialog would be the better way to go (rather than extra keybindings). That is - a dialog where the player can choose which elements Shift+Tab disables.
If it's not too much trouble then of course that'll be great :D
smoogipoo
Haha don't worry about the workload - I'll manage somehow, just throw your ideas at me! :P
- Nyurin -
Well I know I am a greedy kid but... If this is too much then just skip it :p

I was wondering, how about a partly-customable interface option?
I mean, I once played a DDR flash game and the player can edit interface, not fully though.
Say, a scoreboard and rows of 4 arrow keys are provided in the customizing screen,
and the player can drag those elements to the position as he/she wants.

In this case, on top of the DDR game I've mentioned,
I guess we can do(or add?) hide/not-to-hide option to every element in gameplay,
therefore, everyone can use this function to make a interface that is to his/her taste.
Hemmi
Hello, you might want to consider adding the combo flame in CtB : Explanations
Oinari-sama

smoogipooo wrote:

This maybe outside the scope but I thought it's a good time to bring this up:

If you're taking the Options approach, will you consider adding extra tick boxes to apply to Special Mods? ie:
  1. Apply to Relax Mod
  2. Apply to Auto Mod
This will address a few other requests too.
buny

buny wrote:

Would be nice to have the in-game interface to show in breaks without having to shift+tab every time I want to check how I'm doing

Similar to the behaviour of hiding scoreboard, the scoreboard disappears only during gameplay and comes back up during the breaks and the intro of the song. It would make sense to have the interface reappear also
FrzR
Spinner SPM?
Karuta-_old_1
OSU std:

I am happy with the way it is right now, I can see warning arrows and rpm and I can toggle my leaderboards with shift when needed thank you peppy and friends.
Piine
Seeing with the new update of forcing the interface to be shown during breaks. Is it possible to try to keep it hidden when a map loads up because it quite annoying to see it pop up and then become hidden lie a second later. Such an example would be DT a short map or such.

Oh also if there is a delay in connection of the scoreboards or probably system lag which makes the scoreboard come a few seconds after the UI, the scoreboard may appear anyway even when the it is forced to be disabled with the UI.
FrzR

Sulker wrote:

Oh also if there is a delay in connection of the scoreboards or probably system lag which makes the scoreboard come a few seconds after the UI, the scoreboard may appear anyway even when the it is forced to be disabled with the UI.
Once that happens it can't be disabled unless the song is restarted. :I
peppy
Fixed.