forum

Should I start training or continue to farm pp?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Holorin
Yeah, I know. It's barely even considered farming pp when my top score is 61pp and I don't DTing shit. What I mean is playing maps that I'm comfortable with (3.7 stars and below) and get good accuraccy > gaining pp.
So far, I'm quite satisfied with my performance. I was expecting to reach about 700pp in 2 months but I achieve 1k :D. I'm kinda want to learn AR9, but my time don't approve it :( I'm having a lot of works and studying to do because I'm 17 years old, which mean this year is going to be crucial. I'm aiming for NUS or NTU next year.
Still, I want to play osu! when I have free time and ofc, git gud at it. To do that, I need to learn AR9 and AR10, else I won't be able to do anything besides hards and easy AR8 insanes. But I'm afraid that I won't be able to learn AR9 because I only play 2 sessions a week, 2 hours each on Sunday morning and Monday evening. What if I forget everything about AR9 in a week?
TL;DR: I want to learn AR9 but I don't play everyday, can I do it?
Noobsicle
do whatevers more important

learn ar9 by playing ar9, type ar=9 in song menu and play the easier maps first
Topic Starter
Holorin

Noobsicle wrote:

do whatevers more important

learn ar9 by playing ar9, type ar=9 in song menu and play the easier maps first
Thanks for your reply. My question is: Can I learn AR9 if I don't play everyday?
Because if one week I am able to "touch" AR9 and the next I fail miserably, I would be pissed as fck :(
Noobsicle
you won't "unlearn" ar9 if you don't play often, all it takes is a little bit of warming up

you will improve slowly because of this, but if you're putting in the effort to learn ar9, you will eventually be able to read it
Topic Starter
Holorin

Noobsicle wrote:

you won't "unlearn" ar9 if you don't play often, all it takes is a little bit of warming up

you will improve slowly because of this, but if you're putting in the effort to learn ar9, you will eventually be able to read it
Thanks a bunch. I guess I will mix 1 hour of training into my 2 hours sessions :D
Can u suggest me some AR9 beatmaps that are good for beginner? I would prefer <4 stars :D
GoldenWolf
Anything that is AR9 around 4 stars is a good start.
Noobsicle
Topic Starter
Holorin
Thanks you SO MUCH Noobsicle :( I will commence training tomorrow afternoon :D (Got SAT mock test in the whole fcking morning :cry: )
And yes, I do smoke weed everyday #420BlazeIt
Kouya-
I learned from PP farming .

I played songs that are a lot harder then what I'm use to .

I may not get it the first time, but practicing the PP farm map helped me a lot .
Topic Starter
Holorin

SupaWolfTiga wrote:

I learned from PP farming .

I played songs that are a lot harder then what I'm use to .

I may not get it the first time, but practicing the PP farm map helped me a lot .
Uhm u have 2 different opinions in your answer. One is u learned from pp farming, then u play harder songs.
Yeah I'm confused :(
KagamiHRS
He was not giving an opinion. He was telling his experience from farming his PP by playing herder maps.

My opinion: Just like Noobsicle said, but by alternating between training AR9 and farming pp for every session.
timemon
pp farming = testing your skill
I see nothing wrong with farming. If you can FC the map, you deserve the pp.
Playing stuff that aren't downright impossible makes you feel better and shows better progression than playing something that's completely out of your reach.
Sometimes, people say as if pp farming required no skill at all.

AR9 maps tend to be faster, maybe it's not the AR that you have troubles with.
Go change your AR8 maps to AR9 and you will be able to play them.
As long as you don't give up, you will be able to play AR9 sooner or later.
Topic Starter
Holorin

timemon wrote:

pp farming = testing your skill
I see nothing wrong with farming. If you can FC the map, you deserve the pp.
Playing stuff that aren't downright impossible makes you feel better and shows better progression than playing something that's completely out of your reach.
Sometimes, people say as if pp farming required no skill at all.

AR9 maps tend to be faster, maybe it's not the AR that you have troubles with.
Go change your AR8 maps to AR9 and you will be able to play them.
As long as you don't give up, you will be able to play AR9 sooner or later.
Yeah actually this is somehow correct.
I tried the maps that Noobsicle gave me, and the hitcircle closing speed was fine, but the speed of the map itself is quite high for me.
B1rd
you would think from the responses that ar9 was ar10 or 10.33. it is super easy to learn, don't worry about it.
Sylveon
my tansition from ar8-ar9 was hella quick. dont worry about it. as long as you play consistently (whether that be everyday or once a week every week) you will eventually learn it. and its very hard to unlearn something after you have learnt it.. people who have learned to swim dont suddenly forget how to swim even if they dont swim for many years.
Blueprint
(Haven't read anything but the title) in a way farming pp is still training although it's slow
enap
i usually take 1 day and play maps a bit over my current skill level to test myself and some jumptraining maps and then next day i pretty much just pp farm and keep up something like that.

AR9 comes with time a tiny bit of time, and after learning AR9 you might start hating to play anything below it, like i did
Rewben2
Training will help you improve faster, which is probably optimal since you haven't played that much. "Farming pp" equals getting fc's, which, if you ask me, means the songs are probably too easy for you and not the best practice.

Also, since you haven't been playing too long, in a months time or so the scores you will be setting will likely be quite a lot better than the scores you can set now. You would have essentially wasted time by fcing songs and getting pp now because you're going to be setting better scores in a month or so.
Topic Starter
Holorin
Second days of training, still can't pass a 3.44 stars song ...
Wtf AR9 why u so hard :(
Topic Starter
Holorin
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1915340
My 5000th playcounts....
Hmm I guess it needs more time :(
MostDakka
SPOILER
about a minute ago :
Oppai Neko unlocked the "5,000 Plays (osu! mode)" achievement!

gratz

Play maps that you cant fc but you are possible to do with some training. Each time you'll beat such map you will be slightly better