forum

[resolved] Issue with Hidden Interface - Song notes wont display

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Oxxygen
Problem Details:

I've encountered quite an interesting bug, and to sum it up succinctly, Hit Circles/Sliders are not appearing (or are very faint) on some maps when the UI is hidden when the song begins..

I've only found this issue on some beatmaps on specific difficulties (seems very random)

The beatmaps (and affected difficulties) I've found so far:
Jin - Otsukimi Recital - Alll Difficulties
Zips - Mushikui Psychedelism - Easy, Normal, Tari Difficulties
Nanahira - Frightfully-insane Flan-chan's frightful song - All Difficulties (Not Taiko)
Halozy - Sentimental Skyscraper - Myouren Hijiri Difficulty
ryo (supercell) - ODDS&ENDS - All Difficulties
Pizuya's Cell - HALF-LIFE - All Difficulties
Giga-P - Electric Angel - Habi's Easy, Normal, Sonnyc's Insane Difficulties

In order to recreate this bug:
Ensure your UI is hidden when a map begins (shift-tab if it isn't, and restart the map)
Start any one of the aforementioned maps on the specific difficulty
You should find that the sliders and hit circles are either severely dimmed, or completely hidden.

NOTE - It can be corrected by hitting shift-tab during the song to show/hide the UI again (although it is a pain to do this *every* time)

Troubleshooting I've Done:
Changed skins - problem persists (even with default Osu! Skin)
Restarted maps many times with UI Hidden - This can/will generate varying levels of brightness for the notes, ranging from faintly visible to completely invisible
Adjust background dim - Little/no effect
Watching a replay of other users - Problem persists
Watching an auto-play - Problem persists
Using mods on the aforementioned maps - Problem persists
Switching to Takio/CTB/Mania and playing the aforementioned maps - Problem persists, although native (those that appear while in Osu! mode/Takio only diffs) Takio Difficulties that I've found *appear* to be unaffected

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

I will update this post with a video capture if deemed necessary - just let me know.

Addendum:
If you have any questions about this bug, need help recreating it, or would like me to provide additional information/pictures/videos, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll provide whatever I can with regards to the issue.

My inclination tells me that the issue likely comes from how the Hide-UI function was implemented, although I am certainly not familiar with the API/Design of Osu. Programming is weird like that sometimes.

I'll keep this post updated as I find more maps/difficulties that are affected.

- Oxxygen

osu! version: 20140806.1 (latest)
NaomiMinette
I was asked to try and recreate this issue, and I can confirm this does happen. Waiting on someone else's input first, though.
- Marco -
Confirm

NaomiMinette
I should also mention that I didn't use dimming.
Aka
Topic Starter
Oxxygen
@Aka - Hadn't seen the other thread. Sorry about that!

I went ahead and updated the song list I've been gathering in my original post to include those listed in t/232100.

Edit: Also updated my original post to include that the problem persists if you switch to Takio/CTB/Mania and play the same difficulties that are affected in 'Osu!' mode.
smoogipoo
See: p/3297567
Please post in there, marking this one as resolved.