forum

Brown Switches vs Red Switches

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[Japinha CPM22]
What is the best switch? Brown or red? Red has a few differences compared to brown. I found that many players play osu with mx red, but wonder if it's worth investing in a mechanical keyboard with mx brown.

Oinari-sama
Brown is great for typing, but many people find that "bump" unnecessary for osu. It depends on what sort of typist you are (touch typing vs bottom out).

I'm a touch typist so brown feels more natural to me personally.
DeletedUser_3905941
Brown switches have a bump, but the bump is so subtle it can feel linear if you hit hard enough which won't be hard to achieve when playing osu!
Reds are have no bump, they're alright I guess. Browns switches feel like a dirty/broken red switch to me.
TakuMii
I honestly think it's preference. You'll have people recommending either one.
Personally though, I'd prefer having a brown switch for my middle finger, and a red switch for my index finger. I feel rather imprecise single-tapping with Reds, but the technique I use to stream causes the tactile bump on my index finger to negatively impact my stamina. It probably would've been a non-issue if I was able to train on stiffer switches though.
Gumpy
Reds are easier to push down.
dkun
t/127544

moved to the proper section
Topic Starter
[Japinha CPM22]
Is that where I live is missing mx red. And there are a variety of mx brown, so I'm wondering if it's worth mx brown.
jasian
Imo blacks would be good for me because I overstream 270bpm, so having heavier keys would be better. With that said there aren't noticeable differences between Browns and Reds whilst playing, because if you mash hard enough on Browns you cannot feel the 'bump' at all, so it's pretty much just a Red at that point. Browns are cool but I still bottom them out, honestly there aren't many differences and you certainly won't care whether you get Red or Browns if you've never used a mechy KB before.

But generally gamers go for Reds.
Vuelo Eluko

litejason wrote:

Imo blacks would be good for me because I overstream 270bpm, so having heavier keys would be better. With that said there aren't noticeable differences between Browns and Reds whilst playing, because if you mash hard enough on Browns you cannot feel the 'bump' at all, so it's pretty much just a Red at that point. Browns are cool but I still bottom them out, honestly there aren't many differences and you certainly won't care whether you get Red or Browns if you've never used a mechy KB before.

But generally gamers go for Reds.
hurhur
TakuMii
I don't see why people have to bottom out their keys all the time. I prefer singletapping on Browns simply because I can tap without bottoming out while still remaining in control.
GoldenWolf

litejason wrote:

Imo blacks would be good for me because I overstream 270bpm, so having heavier keys would be better.
hurr + did you know Blacks would actually allow you to streamash faster more easily?
koromo
I play with browns and they're ok for osu. Honestly I think pretty much any of the usually seen switches will be ok (even uncommon ones like green).

Go for it OP.
Noobsicle
browns are a safer option. if you rest your fingers on your keys on reds, you may actuate them without noticing as they have no feedback whatsoever (unless you bottom out)

either way, both are great switches for osu!. flip a coin or something
PlasticSmoothie
I've had both reds and browns, using the browns now. Browns were much better for me seeing as I don't really bottom out when I stream, and the bump helps me keep rhythm.

...But in the end, the difference is minimal and pure preference based. Nobody can give you an answer, see if you can go to a store and try out both.
winber1
tryndamere pref
weixiao
I've played with both brown and red and it all comes down to personal preference, I'd go for browns though :D
jesse1412
Master yi switches. I refuse to reply to threads about keyboard switches anymore and demand an instant lock on all of them.
GoldenWolf

jesus1412 wrote:

Master yi switches. I refuse to reply to threads about keyboard switches anymore and demand an instant lock on all of them.
THE KING HAS SPOKEN.
Galagrawr
I posted a thread on what kind of switches to use for osu! If you want to read it, go here.

It's all a matter of preference. Some people like to play with a tactile feel (Browns and Blues) while others like to play with a linear feel (Reds and Blacks)

If you've never used a mechanical keyboard before, get yourself a switch tester like this.

Hope this helps out a bit ;)